Checkride - My story.

Fuel off

Mixture cut off

Close throttle

Master off

mags off

Carb heat off

Attempt to dive, and or slip for incombustible mixture and extinguish the fire

If no worky, dive at max flap extension speed with full flaps and full slip for a landing field. On the Cessna, I might even flip the master back on to add in full flaps.

Why close the throttle? Wouldn't through the engine be a good place to process the flames?

Trim for best glide
Aim for nearest airport or big field / potential landing area

Mixture rich
Carb heat on
Fuel valve on
Primer locked
Cycle mags
Open and close throttle to check for any response

Squawk 7700, declare emergency
What happened to "undo the last thing you just did"?

Kind of wondering, what your retake would be like... "Here, flip a switch" "ok, flipped" "Congratulations, pilot"

He didn't see any of the take offs or landings. (Okay he saw one "normal" landing when we came back) So he doesn't know how my short field/soft field/xwind take off landings are like so I figure it'll be like 30 minutes retest.

What happened to "undo the last thing you just did"?

That's not on any printed checklist i've ever seen. That's more common sense..

Obviously, if I am messing with the mixture, and 5 seconds later the engine begins to sputter, i'm not going to start trimming for best glide...

That's not on any printed checklist i've ever seen. That's more common sense..

Obviously, if I am messing with the mixture, and 5 seconds later the engine begins to sputter, i'm not going to start trimming for best glide...

To modify the words of Admiral Chester Nimitz: 'Common Sense is not a Common Virtue'.

To modify the words of Admiral Chester Nimitz: 'Common Sense is not a Common Virtue'.

Ha good point. By the same logic, "undo the last thing you just did" might prompt someone to do something really bad

Ha good point. By the same logic, "undo the last thing you just did" might prompt someone to do something really bad

If the fan quit and they don't know what to do, how could that advice make it any worse.

I say Darwin at work <flamesuit on>.

He didn't see any of the take offs or landings. (Okay he saw one "normal" landing when we came back) So he doesn't know how my short field/soft field/xwind take off landings are like so I figure it'll be like 30 minutes retest.

These were hard for me. He wasn't thrilled with mine when I did them. He told me so and said why each time. But he said they were good enough for a pass and then let me know to do the next one.

Did your DPE pull the power out right after takeoff yet? That was interesting for me too.

Change mind. That would not be legal. PP PTS says engine out is to be not lower than 500AGL

Change mind. That would not be legal. PP PTS says engine out is to be not lower than 500AGL

We don't turn crosswind until 800 AGL so this was on upwind and probably right after we hit 500 AGL then. He immediately asked what do you do and then I said land straight ahead and then he pushed it back, all happened very fast. We also did an engine out (at altitude) I think. Ashamed to say I don't have full memory of every detail of that flight.

We don't turn crosswind until 800 AGL so this was on upwind and probably right after we hit 500 AGL then. He immediately asked what do you do and then I said land straight ahead and then he pushed it back, all happened very fast. We also did an engine out (at altitude) I think. Ashamed to say I don't have full memory of every detail of that flight.

So on Climbout at 500' AGL while your still climbing presumably at Vy or even Vx he pulls the thottle?

I look at a check list as a two part function, first is the recitation of the item to be checked and second is to confirm by touch and verbally its done. I read somewhere that people will actually read off a check list as if the requirment is to read through it to complete it as one of the check list items. People would actually read " Altimter at field elevation" touch the glass but not set the darn altimeter.

So on Climbout at 500' AGL while your still climbing presumably at Vy or even Vx he pulls the thottle?

With all these questions I am wondering what all the fuss is about? Perhaps he only pulled it part of the way out, or pushed the yoke? I'm pretty sure he was basically asking what to do if engine failed on takeoff. How much of that / exactly how he simulated that I can't say with 100% accuracy though I do remember it seemed scary.

Lol. Why is it "P" before you take off and "B" before you land"?

LCAB or P-GUMP wouldn't work? Wouldn't it make sense to make the letter mean the same thing regardless of phase of flight?

Truthfully, my original CFI used to have me "B-GUMP" on base turn and check final ... every single approach ... so it stuck. LCAP seemed easier to remember initially. They';re the final items on my run-up checklist and an "announce" before taking runway. I don't use paper checklists in the pattern.

As regards checklists and the PTS, it's just fine if you do all the "flows" and then pull the checklist and run through it while pointing or verbalizing that everything's done - as long as you actually did everything!

Retest is probably late next week. Got to go "review" with my CFI on Monday and then I'll call and reschedule. DPE said we'd only be doing the takeoff and landings. Not sure if the bust was due to not using the checklist (but I did use it and he said he saw me look right at the fuel pump switch three times) I believe it was for the single item. I mentioned this in another posting somewhere that I did that once before with my CFI and he let it pass and just said "Don't forget it on your 'ride"

It is Monday. Did you get to see your CFI? Do you have the checkride rescheduled?

Too windy. Don't worry I will share when it happens. Airplane goes into annual next Monday so I may have to wait a little bit.

Back