Checkride, Feb 22

Lachlan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Lachlan
Like it says, scheduled for the 22nd. 9am. That's a great time to begin, as it is not too early in the morning. Time to wake up, eat, get my stuff together, check weather, finish my xc nav log, preflight the aircraft before I meet with the DPE to be sure it's absolutely ready to go... :yikes: I went out and flew some T&Gs this morning. Winds were all over the place. Great practice! Now it's time to continue reading and studying. I've already tabbed out the aircraft logs. My xc is planned out. It's just about Go Time!:goofy:

Don't be surprised if you don't sleep well the night before; it gets better. :p

Good luck! Do you know what your weak areas are in understanding ground knowledge?

Good luck. Remember, it's just another flight. No need to be nervous or stressed, just do what you have already done a lot of times and have fun. It's supposed to be fun afterall. And you will learn some things that you didn't know.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, everybody. Sometimes I think, "I've got this!" and other times I can't remember my name! My CFI says I'm definitely going to pass, that it's not even close. He's a great guy who inspires confidence. So, I'm going to continue to study hard this week and make sure I have the best possible prep. I'm working on being concise without being evasive, because I have a tendency to talk. A lot. Less is more.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, everybody. Sometimes I think, "I've got this!" and other times I can't remember my name! My CFI says I'm definitely going to pass, that it's not even close. He's a great guy who inspires confidence. So, I'm going to continue to study hard this week and make sure I have the best possible prep. I'm working on being concise without being evasive, because I have a tendency to talk. A lot. Less is more.

Read this, if you haven't already.

Read this, if you haven't already.

I read it daily. :) I have a pretty good handle on all of the odd-numbered recommendations. I have aleady met the DPE, so it will be a bit easier than walking up to a total stranger. He's a really calm, friendly guy, so he shouldn't be a reason to be nervous. I'm really looking forward to it. The three phase checks I had to do along the way (pre-solo, XC, and final phase checks) were far easier after completion than I thought they would be gong into each of them. I try to be really prepared. This one means a lot, though, and I dearly want to get it right. I know I'll make mistakes, but it's correcting and moving on that will matter most.

I read it daily. :) I have a pretty good handle on all of the odd-numbered recommendations. I have aleady met the DPE, so it will be a bit easier than walking up to a total stranger. He's a really calm, friendly guy, so he shouldn't be a reason to be nervous. I'm really looking forward to it. The three phase checks I had to do along the way (pre-solo, XC, and final phase checks) were far easier after completion than I thought they would be gong into each of them. I try to be really prepared. This one means a lot, though, and I dearly want to get it right. I know I'll make mistakes, but it's correcting and moving on that will matter most.

Well, I just took my last checkride (glider rating) a few weeks ago, so those feelings are very familiar and fresh in my mind. My DPE was also a super nice guy (best of all my rides so far) and the checkride with him was a pleasure. I got a call from the FAA a couple of weeks later asking how it was (some kind of quality assurance program) and told them he was great. But I guess having passed makes my opinion suspect. :)
In any case, good luck and don't forget to relax. I am sure you'll do great!

What a great day. It was a lot of fun! I had the aircraft pre-flight done and finished my planned cross country log well before it was time to begin with the DPE. I had my charts laid out, course plotted, landmarks indicated with penciled circles, etc. Had my log book out, payment, gov't issued photo id, Student Pilot Certificate, Medical, PTS, FAR/AIM, W&B worksheet complete... donuts and coffee! DPE walked in, glanced at the desk, looked up at me and said, "You're ready!"

We talked about all kinds of things for about 45 minutes, then he looked up quickly after an answer that I was 100% sure was right, and, with a slap on the desk, said, "Let's go flying!"

We went out to the aircraft, I repeated my pre-flight (albeit abbreviated with his permission) and we pulled it out of it's parking spot and into position for engine start. I carefully yet efficiently made certain that I had the right charts out, open and in the map pocket by me left knee, my Foggles, and knee board. Got in, buckled up, passenger briefing, and went right into my pre-start checklist. Engine start, warm-up while we listened to ATIS, and then we were off!

Brake check, "You have the flight controls." "I have the flight controls, brake check good, you have the aircraft." "I have the aircraft," I said, and then it was game on. Taxied to the runup area, looking outside, all around, etc. Run-up checklist complete, I called ground and taxied to the runway. DPE says, "Show me a short field takeoff." So, once we were instructed to switch over to tower and they issued a takeoff clearance that I read back as we rolled onto the very end of the runway, all the while looking for any traffic on final, I used every inch of that runway to show him a short field takeoff. 10* of flaps, full throttle with brakes on, verbally announced oil temp, pressure, rpm, suction, blah blah, and let 'er rip! Announced "Airpseed alive" at 40-45 KIAS, and also announced that we were at takeoff speed, which I did. Climbed out at 55KIAS till I stated, "Clear of objects," at which time I lowered the nose to reach Vy and pulled back that 10* of flaps. Trimmed to relieve control pressure. Headed out on course, flew to first landmarks after TOC, and then he had me show him some VOR navigation. Selected a radial to intercept, I dialed it in, flew to it and turned onto it like it's something I do every day. And then he had me put the Foggles on... Let's just say that this DPE is extremely good at disorienting someone that has their head down and their eyes closed! Ugh! In less than 15 seconds he had me some confused about whether we were banked, level, nose high or low, and quickly blurted, "Your aircraft!" Whoa... Trust those instruments. I had no idea if we were nose up or down, but the AH told me what to do, and I immediately did it with no hesitation. Then we did it again. It's good to trust those instruments.

Then the ground ref maneuvers began. Steep turns were locked on altitude and bank angle; slow flight was right on the edge of the stall horn with a few turns to headings, and then he said, "Well, since we're slow already, show me a power off stall." I pulled the rest of the power as I lowered the nose for 65KIAS, trimmed to relieve control pressure, let the aircraft descend for about 100' to stabilize and simulate an approach stall, then pulled the nose up. Stall horn blaring, right rudder practically on the floorboard, and it broke. Pushed over, carb heat to cold, throttle wide open, announced "Positive rate of climb, flaps to 10," while we continued to increase our speed as we climbed to Vy, which I announced at the same time that I retracted the remainder of the flaps, which I also verbalized. Trimmed to relieve control pressure.

Once we were done with everything he said we could head back to the airport for come landings. Soft field first. Great, I thought- the one that needs to have the lightest touch on the very first landing. I got this. I think.... Approach is stable, on center line, on glide slope. Touch down with a chirp, hold that yoke to my chest, stall horn screaming, rode a wheelie for what seemed like an hour. DPE says, "Great, you can lower the nose wheel. Let's go again, with a short field landing next."

Short field, I love those. I planted that airplane on my spot and said, "Simulated max braking," with the yoke back for aerodynamic braking, flaps pulled out, on center line. He said, "First down!" and made the First Down movement with his left arm. Ha. "OK," he said, "Show me a normal landing and we're done." I almost passed out! I thought I was doing ok, but still had plenty of time to screw it up. Last pattern, abeam my touchdown point, pulled power, added carb heat, flaps, began descent. I had a great number on the VSI and it stayed right where I wanted it. Turned to base and kept that same rate of descent, looked at final, announced "Final is clear," and said, "I'm going to keep this one a little shorter if that's ok with you- I had a lot of coffee and water." He said, "Good! Me, too!" I rolled out wings level right on center line, right on glide slope, right on airspeed! He went nuts! He said, "No one ever gets that right. You had the perfect descending turn and rolled out level right on center line!"

I flew well today. I had a really great instructor who never let me get away with "good enough" or "on the edge of the PTS." I am very hard on myself and always want to get better, and my CFI pushed me to do the same while giving me the tools to do it. It was one of the most relaxed and fun flights I have ever had. As long as I can remember I have wanted to be a pilot. My parents' house is on the edge of a 2500' grass airstrip, and my first airplane ride was in the front seat of a J-3 when I was 5. I remember that flight, and I can't wait to get my tailwheel endorsement. What's next? I guess I'll fly around for a little while and then get busy working on my IR. What a great day...

Fantastic job man! Congrats! Sounds like you were well trained and prepared for the ride. Now the real learning starts. :thumbsup:

Congrats! Sounds like a great ride!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

My DPE flies a Falcon 7x. Talk about a big change from doing check rides in a 172! He said he loves airplanes, lives for flying, and rarely goes a single day without being in some sort of airplane. What a life!

Well done and great write up. Welcome to the less than 1 percent of us who are certified pilots! What's your plans for your first flight as a private pilot?

After I went home I was too psyched to stay there, so I took my 1/4 scale Cub to the RC flying field. Does that count? :lol:

I might take my wife to the club lunch fly out this Sunday if I can still reserve a plane. Short flight from Denver to Colorado Springs.

I might take my wife to the club lunch fly out this Sunday if I can still reserve a plane. Short flight from Denver to Colorado Springs.

Get on it! You'd better get her up if you know what's good for you! :yesnod::lol:

So cool! Any diversions / in flight e6b use?

Congrats Pilot!!! Sooooooo exciting!!!

Congratulations !!
It made my day to read this. Sounds like you were fully prepared and rocked it.
Enjoy...

So cool! Any diversions / in flight e6b use?

Congrats Pilot!!! Sooooooo exciting!!!

During the oral we talked about navigation a bit, both from a planning and in-flight point of view. He saw that I was proficient and quick with the whiz wheel, but I did nit have to demonstrate its use in the air. Approximations for the diversion discussion were adequate. (Use a VOR radial ring for a magnetic heading, knuckle for ~5 sm, etc.)

I asked my wife where she would like to go on our first flight, and I was instantly reminded how smart, awesome and thoughtful she is. She said, "For the first one maybe we should just plan on a short flight of an hour or less, not too far from the airport, and then do some touch and gos." I asked why, and she said, "To get used to it in case I get a little queasy. We can go somewhere else on the next flight." She's a genius, and I wouldn't/couldn't be a pilot without her. (I tell her every day how wonderful she is. I'm lucky.)

Good move listening to your wife, and she was right about slowly getting exposed to your flying. Sounds like ya'll will be having fun on your trips.

Back