Checkride Complete!

sacbluesman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sacbluesman
Some of you may know that for the past several months I've been working on my IR. This has been the most challenging training I've done and I couldn't be more happy that its behind me.

For those of you who are contemplating doing this, I'd say its definitely worth it but comes with challenges. A lot of us are looking for tips to get through training. My one bit of advice is to make sure you have a supportive instructor in the right seat. My instructor was great and if it weren't for him, frustration may have gotten the better part of me.

Ok...here is the meat and potatoes...

I did my oral previously so all I had left was the flight portion. Checkride scheduled at 12pm yesterday so my arrival was about 11:30. My plan was to preflight, get all my docs in order and get the 1 or 2 nervous pee sessions out of the way. My plane was on a flight and late coming back so I spent the next 30min sitting on the couch with sweaty palms.

No need to study anymore. I know all i'm going to know and either I'm going to pass or fail. Plain and simple. I decided to just try and relax and remember what my instructor would harp on me.

12:10 get out to the plane and start preflighting. While doing so, the examiner comes out and asks if I'm ready...sure...well, not really.

Here is what I want to do, he says. Lets go do the ILS 22L into KMHR then missed to WAGER for the GPS Rwy 25 into O88 for a missed as published After, we will do a couple turns in the hold and then maneuvers to conclude with VOR Rwy 2 into KSAC. I waited for him to spout this info and then I felt REAL good about checking NOTAMS...KMHR had a runway closure until 1pm! I let him know and then his response, "Oh!" I'm not sure if this was a test but regardless I think it earned me a few points.

Departed Rwy 20 out of KSAC for a left downwind departure. Ended up flying direct to KMCC for the ILS 16. ATC had me fly 1000ft below the published altitude for the initial segment. This actually saved me because I failed to start descending once I was cleared for the approach. Had I not been at this lower altitude, I wouldn't have been able to catch the glideslope. I was too focused on making sure the localizer was within the donut to focus on any other minor details. This approach ended great. Smooth touch and go, nice radio call and headed for the next approach.

I remember looking at the DME and IIRC it was about 19mi to WAGER. I took a breath, configured the box and gathered myself. All I kept thinking is don't moose this up. The procedure turn at WAGER would have been a parallel entry. I told the examiner that I knew what the correct entry was however I'm going to do a teardrop since it was a bit easier to execute. "I'm ok with that, do what you think is best." The GPS 25 approach was flawless. One thing to note, if your examiner doesn't tell you "runway in sight" or "come out of the hood" he/she is wanting you to go missed. My instructor forewarned me about this and I was prepared for it.

Off to the published hold at JIRAG, we did slow flight, stalls and then back for the last approach. "ok, we are going to go back to KSAC for the VOR Rwy 2 appch" I started to configure the Garmin and heard the ever familiar paper folding to cover up the HI and AI. Cool, this will be the partial panel approach.

ATC gives the typical clearance for this approach. Report procedure turn inbound, cross Sac VOR at or above 1500 clear VOR Rwy 2 circle for 20. As i'm making my outbound leg on the procedure turn, ATC chimes in and says approach clearance cancelled, I will call your inbound leg. Ok, why couldn't this happen while training. After what seemed like an eternity, I get the call to proceed inbound and cleared approach. Nice! The examiner didn't have to take over flying so far. All I have to do now is to remember to set my time at the FAF (sad to say this is my one recurring mistake) and circle to the correct side.

"Contact tower 119.5" I make my call to tower. "At minimums, circle West for right traffic, you will be #3 following a Cessna, Cleared to land 20. The examiner then says to come out of the hood. I'm about to make my left turn and tower gets on the radio to circle east. I make an immediate correction and flew a nice pattern. My final landing wasn't a greaser but the examiner appreciated when I told him that all landings can't be perfect.

No word was said about passing during the taxi or parking. "I'll meet you inside" was the only thing I was told. I felt pretty good still and buttoned up the plane and went back inside. "Ok, last thing we need to do is finish up your paperwork" Hell yes! I started to air hump involuntarily :rockon:..this adventure is finally done! :D

I thank all of you that have offered me support or advice on or off the board! You guys are an invaluable resource and its so much appreciated that you share your knowledge.

Congratulations! :cheers:

I just got mine last week... so I know the relief you feel quite well!

Congratulations. That is a tough ride and one I know you are glad to have behind you.

CONGRATS!!

Once I had the IR in hand I was happy to get back to fun flying. Its great to fly in the system and know you can now handle getting that ticket wet! Hardest rating but best investment if you do any traveling.

Back