Checkride checklist

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
I’m working on putting together a list of what I need to bring to my checkride so I don’t get there and leave out something stupid. It has created a couple of odd questions about what I need to bring.
My far/aim is older- I need to bring the most current one with me? I’m ok with getting the up to date one as a reference.
Charts- i have paper charts but the IFR low altitude charts are expiring right around/ right before my exam. I do use ForeFlight maps but always keep the paper handy as they are nice for looking at big pic and for some planning. I always bring my paper with me just in case.
Chart supplement- admit I don’t keep a copy as it’s on my iPad.

I found a couple good checklists online of what I need to bring. Doing the king oral/checkride prep and have to say the written course work seemed much better and more digestible in 4-12 min clips. The oral/checkride prep is in 20-40 slogs....
Obviously I will review what I need to bring with my CFI but in the end it’s my responsibility to be prepared.

ACS has a checklist of of things to bring, make sure to check it out. DON'T bring any outdated publications. This isn't the time to be a cheap pilot.

You can download the far and aim in foreflight under documents. Its fully indexed, meaning you can see all the chapters and sections and easily tap on them. You can bookmark sections and label them as wanted and quickly pull up the sections you bookmarked, as well as making notes/highlighting etc. Thr best feature is searching for a word or phrase which can be done in seconds vs flipping through and trying to find something.

I know electronic versions isn't everyone's cup of tea (myself included when it comes to reading books) but I've found this to be much better than buying, storing and hauling around books....

I found a couple good checklists online of what I need to bring. Doing the king oral/checkride prep and have to say the written course work seemed much better and more digestible in 4-12 min clips. The oral/checkride prep is in 20-40 slogs....

Obviously I will review what I need to bring with my CFI but in the end it’s my responsibility to be prepared.

- Medical certificate / BasicMed
- Valid knowledge test results
- FAA Form 8710-10 or IACRA applicant FTN and Application ID number
- Photo/signature ID
- Current Pilot certificate
- Flight time records and aeronautical experience requirements appropriate for certificate/rating sought
- Required instructor endorsements for certificate/rating sought
- Availability of aircraft certificates, records/logbooks and required documents
- Any prescribed homework (cross-country flight planning, W&B)
- Examiner's fee (many prefer cash - inquire)

- Review Appendix 9, References (A-21) in the Instrument Rating - Airplane ACS. Note that Chart Supplements, Navigation Charts and NOTAMs are all included, with this note at the bottom: Note: Users should reference the current edition of the reference documents listed above. The current edition of all FAA publications can be found at www.faa.gov.

I highly recommend having all current charts and resources, regardless of whether they're paper or electronic. From the examiner's perspective, it won't matter - either are fine. But be sure you can navigate the document because if you need to look something up, and can't find it, that's on you.

Incidentally I was studying this same topic tonight in preparation for sitting on the other side of the table -- I'm attending initial DPE training in Oklahoma City later this month.

Best of luck,

Might be a good idea to know where the plane stands in all areas of airworthiness.

When you plan your XC you might want to print out whatever weather charts you used to explain how you reviewed weather and did NavLog, since it may have changed.

Back