Checkride bust

Pilot joe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot joe
Checkride bust

Last edited:
Not much you can do except get past it. You ain’t the first and won’t be the last to bust a checkride and still get a job. What you learned from the busts may mean more to a potential employer than the bust itself. (heheh I said ‘bust’).

Don't beat yourself up. If you haven't failed a ride yet, you're not trying hard enough. :) Failures are great learning opportunities.

I flunked my (mandatory in Canada) biennial IPC a number of years back and had to do a partial retest after getting signed off by an instructor. Two years later, at my next IPC, I admitted to the designated examiner that I'd once failed an IPC. He looked around to make sure no one else could hear, then said quietly "yeah, me too."

I failed two check rides - Nancy bradshaw

she went on to the regionals, before Covid furlough. Flew international cargo 747 s as second for awhile. Helicopters now. A lot of good vids

By the way, Scott Perdue at Flywire has some information we all need to absorb.

3 bags

The girl who I trained with and did the same checkride a few days before me same DPE, even stated she just got by on both oral and practical and passed first time. So there is well known not all checkride are equal or fair.

Aren’t you entitled? No woman could possibly have surpassed your performance, so the game is rigged. I hope carriers get wind of your attitude toward women. My wife, the retired Naval Captain & Naval Aviator, and my niece the USNA Midshipman (& future naval aviator), would like to walk the runway with you for a quick word.

Aren’t you entitled? No woman could possibly have surpassed your performance, so the game is rigged. I hope carriers get wind of your attitude toward women. My wife, the retired Naval Captain & Naval Aviator, and my niece the USNA Midshipman (& future naval aviator), would like to walk the runway with you for a quick word.

hey bud I never said I was better than her. I said we trained together not I was better than her. She just happens to be a girl and happens to be the other person in this story. She STATED she did worse on it when we talked about it. Why are you making this an argument. She’s actually trained better than I did during this phase. She just got by on the checkride. Get off your high horse and stop looking for a fight

hey bud I never said I was better than her. I said we trained together not I was better than her. She just happens to be a girl and happens to be the other person in this story. She STATED she did worse on it when we talked about it. Why are you making this an argument
Not what your post says. Also mentions your superior gpa. Entitled.

hey bud I never said I was better than her. I said we trained together not I was better than her. She just happens to be a girl and happens to be the other person in this story. She STATED she did worse on it when we talked about it. Why are you making this an argument. She’s actually trained better than I did during this phase. She just got by on the checkride. Get off your high horse and stop looking for a fight

"just getting by" and failing to follow the checklist are two different things. That is like getting mad that you failed your written cause you got a 69, but the person that got the 70 passed. Don't assume she passed just cause of her gender.

There are lots of people that have failed checkrides, and went on to bigger and better things. But you've used two of your strikes. If you fail another one, then there is a pattern, and that is what potential employers look for. They also look to see what your attitude is about the failures. Don't try to blame anyone else, or say the examiner was unfair.

Not what your post says. Also mentions your superior gpa. Entitled.
Her being a women has nothing to do with this. I don’t see why your persistence in this. It says high gpa. I want the career I want, I put in the effort for it. It doesn’t matter if it was a girl or guy. Can we please focus on the checkride. I want to do well and get the job I want and not be held by a number. That’s all I really wanted to talk about.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GENDER. I AM SO SORRY I EVEN PUT THAT THERE. I WILL LITERALLY EDIT IT

"just getting by" and failing to follow the checklist are two different things. That is like getting mad that you failed your written cause you got a 69, but the person that got the 70 passed. Don't assume she passed just cause of her gender.

There are lots of people that have failed checkrides, and went on to bigger and better things. But you've used two of your strikes. If you fail another one, then there is a pattern, and that is what potential employers look for. They also look to see what your attitude is about the failures. Don't try to blame anyone else, or say the examiner was unfair.
The point I was trying to make is that a dpe can wake up on the wrong side of the bed and fail someone vs having a very good morning and pass someone and let things slide regardless of what was done and said. All I wanted was advice and support on the checkride and career affect. This was just a massive mistake.

The point I was trying to make is that a dpe can wake up on the wrong side of the bed and fail someone vs having a very good morning and pass someone and let things slide regardless of what was done and said. All I wanted was advice and support on the checkride and career affect. This was just a massive mistake.

That is far more uncommon than you make it out to be, and the fact that you think that goes a long way towards your attitude about the process. The point I am trying to make is that your future employers will care a lot more about you attitude and explanation of your busts than your actual busts. If they ask you what happened on your commercial checkride, and you say "Oh the DPE was having a bad day and decided to bust me", you're not going to get hired. If you have a much more humble attitude towards what happened then you have a chance.

But I stand by my previous statement of you got your two strikes. If that is your last bust, you'll probably be fine. Three failures will be a red flag.

That is far more uncommon than you make it out to be, and the fact that you think that goes a long way towards your attitude about the process. The point I am trying to make is that your future employers will care a lot more about you attitude and explanation of your busts than your actual busts. If they ask you what happened on your commercial checkride, and you say "Oh the DPE was having a bad day and decided to bust me", you're not going to get hired. If you have a much more humble attitude towards what happened then you have a chance.

But I stand by my previous statement of you got your two strikes. If that is your last bust, you'll probably be fine. Three failures will be a red flag.
I don’t know how to deleted an entire thread. I accept what happen. I just don’t want to let this go without doing everything I can first. This isn’t about gender this isn’t about not being able to accept what’s happen. This is seeing how it will affect me and doing everything I can to fix and remedy it or make up for it. That’s all I wanted. This has just been a show of how you can’t even ask the internet for help. Thank you all for helping make a bad situation worse

I wish you luck with your future endeavors.
But thank you for atleast trying to see my angle of this unlike the other guy. I really do appreciate your words. I really care about aviation and my career. I just wanted to do the best I can

Maybe a less contentious way to rephrase what others are saying is that it's best not to compare yourself to other pilots or or to look for outside causes like a grumpy examiner.

Instead, look at the guy staring back from the mirror. Tell him "you're a pretty good pilot, and you failed a couple of rides. This is your opportunity to go from being a pretty good pilot to a great pilot by taking a pause to review and rebuild each of your flying skills from the ground up."

I really care about aviation and my career.

I busted the instrument ride and the ATP ride. After the ATP ride I re-trained with my instructor, did the recheck a few days later and passed. Then went back to my flying job and moved up.

Don't sweat the small things. Finish up and move on.

This is seeing how it will affect me and doing everything I can to fix and remedy it or make up for it.
1. Accept the fact that it was YOU that busted your checkride. It had nothing to do with the girl you trained with, the examiner, or anything that you did, good, bad, or otherwise, prior to the checkride.

2. Don’t join a web forum simply to look for sympathy. That’s what established relationships are for.

3. If you’re going to try to find specifics about improving your performance, you need to provide specifics about your performance, not speculation regarding that of another applicant or the examiner.

4. Don’t use “literally” as a swear word. If you’re going to swear, do it properly.

The check rides you bust are irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the check rides you pass.

What do you call the Med school graduate with the lowest GPA? Doctor.

A pilot that's 10 times better on average than another can still perform a required maneuver below the standard on the one chance they have to demonstrate it or have a memory hole or block resulting in a bad answer. Doesn't mean you are a bad pilot. Just that you have not yet demonstrated your abilities meet the bar that has been set. You have not yet demonstrated you meet the standard. Nothing more, nothing less.

She never observed your test so she can’t determine her performance was worse than yours. It is also probable your performance was a lot worse than your self assessment and it appeared to you she didn’t do as well.

90% pass the practical test. The only person you have to blame is yourself.

Last edited:
The check rides you bust are irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the check rides you pass.

What do you call the Med school graduate with the lowest GPA? Doctor.

A pilot that's 10 times better on average than another can still perform a required maneuver below the standard on the one chance they have to demonstrate it or have a memory hole or block resulting in a bad answer. Doesn't mean you are a bad pilot. Just that you have not yet demonstrated your abilities meet the bar that has been set. You have not yet demonstrated you meet the standard. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's a bit misleading.

Obtaining a certificate as a pilot does not guarantee employment as a pilot. A lot has changed since Colgan 3407. Multiple busts can most definitely prevent one from being hired in the 121 world (and even some corporate). OP is right to be concerned, but at this point needs to move past the bust and sin no more.

That's a bit misleading.

Obtaining a certificate as a pilot does not guarantee employment as a pilot. A lot has changed since Colgan 3407. Multiple busts can most definitely prevent one from being hired in the 121 world (and even some corporate). OP is right to be concerned, but at this point needs to move past the bust and sin no more.

You must have missed this thread
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/advice.135279/

A similar comment from you in that thread would help balance out the peanut gallery of non-pro pilots all saying 3 busts don't matter.

2p3dw0.jpg

Back