Checkride and 60 days

Maninder Singh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Manny
I am in a bit of trouble here. Pl advise. Maybe i am wrong and this is simple.
I cleared my Oral portion of the Checkride on 11/2 and we had to discontinue due to weather.
tried for a couple of days and nothing worked.
Checkride instructor goes on vacation for 10 days 11/7-11/18
Gets back and still, the weather is not appropriate after trying several times.
From her tone, she does not want o be doing anything during the thanksgiving holidays. Tried December and still, the weather did not cooperate for 2 weeks.
I went on a 5-day vacation from Dec 20 to 25
Pacific Northwest - Heavy snow for the last 10 days of December.
Now we are in JAN and still tried a couple of times and the weather is not working.
Another time she is booked with many students and cannot do anything.
I talk to her about the date on the discontinuation letter and the 60 days thing. She cannot do anything and I have to go through the entire thing again.. from School EOC to Signoff to Oral and Flight.
(I already paid $750 before the Oral to DPE)

Who do I contact and what can i do to get an extension. there should be some kind of extension due to the weather.
The school definitely is notorious in wanting me to go on infinite flights and play the game from scratch.

I am in a bit of trouble here. Pl advise. Maybe i am wrong and this is simple.
I cleared my Oral portion of the Checkride on 11/2 and we had to discontinue due to weather.
Checkride instructor goes on vacation for 10 days 11/7-11/18
Gets back and still, the weather is not appropriate after trying several times.
From her tone, she does not want o be doing anything during the thanksgiving holidays. Tried December and still, the weather did not cooperate for 2 weeks.
I went on a 5-day vacation from Dec 20 to 25
Now we are in JAN and still tried a couple of times and the weather is not working.
Another time she is booked with many students and cannot do anything.
I talk to her about the date on the discontinuation letter and the 60 days thing. She cannot do anything and I have to go through the entire thing again.. from School EOC to Signoff to Oral and Flight.
(I already paid $750 before the Oral to DPE)

Who do I contact and what can i do to get an extension. there should be some kind of extension due to the weather.
The school definitely is notorious in wanting me to go on infinite flights and play the game from scratch.

14 CFR 61.43(f)(1)
is not a waivable regulation. There is no extension. You must do the whole practical test again in its entirety. That's a bummer but hopefully you'll get it knocked out in a timely manner the second time around.

14 CFR 61.43(f)(1) is not a waivable regulation. There is no extension. You must do the whole practical test again in its entirety. That's a bummer but hopefully you'll get it knocked out in a timely manner the second time around.

While that is undoubtedly true, the same DPE will likely breeze through the oral portion and practically go straight to flying. But this should serve as a warning to others not to start a checkride unless the weather looks like it will hold up until you are finished.

You must receive and log 3 hours flight training time within 2 calendar months preceding the month of application in preparation for the practical test.

Thanks for such valuable advice. I appreciate all. Yes i will start again and go with the same instructor.

Be sure to get the same DPE too.
I'm not sure I'd use the same DPE. A checkride was paid for, but was not completed. Would not take a couple hours out of her thanksgiving holiday to do a flight test? Too busy with other students? Sounds to me like there had to be a couple hour slot somewhere in the last 2 months that she could have fit in a flight.

I'm not sure I'd use the same DPE. A checkride was paid for, but was not completed. Would not take a couple hours out of her thanksgiving holiday to do a flight test? Too busy with other students? Sounds to me like there had to be a couple hour slot somewhere in the last 2 months that she could have fit in a flight.
I'd be surprised if the same DPE charged the full fee again or grilled you on the oral. Not shocked, but surprised. But if you go to a different DPE, you'll definitely pay full fare and take the full ride.

Of course all we have to go on is your side of the story. I could certainly understand a DPE who might be "too busy" for a retest after a checkride that went badly, but to keep the fee and not have time to pick up after a weather discontinuance sounds unusual. How was the discontinued checkride going?

I also note that you apparently expected her to take time from her vacation, but you went on yours.

Sounds to me like the examiner put forth a decent effort…

…the weather is not appropriate after trying several times.
…the weather did not cooperate for 2 weeks.
…in JAN and still tried a couple of times and the weather is not working.

I also note that these statements are significantly different from

I guess my question for the OP is, who determined the weather to be unsuitable, and what made it unsuitable other than the 10 days of heavy snow? What weather would be necessary?

Last edited:
Back