checkout aint dual?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
sup y'all, merry x-mas and whatnot.

if you go somewhere and get checked out in a plane so you can rent it, does that time not count as dual?

If you're flying with a CFI, which you should, it counts as Dual Received.

if you go somewhere and get checked out in a plane so you can rent it, does that time not count as dual?

I would suppose so if you wanted to log it as such. Can't think of anything that goes against it off hand.:dunno:

yeah, I just double checked the entry the cfi made in my book when I got checked out in the Archer III in FLA and didn't see dual time logged so just wanted to make sure before I update it. thanks!

If you flew with a CFI, it's dual.

I've never heard of it for a rental, but sometimes for checkouts for insurance they only require hours with another pilot who has time in type. When I started flying the 310, the requirement was 10 hours with a pilot who had at least 50 hours of 310 time. That wasn't dual since the pilot was an ATP, but not CFI.

Well, not that there is a bunch of reason too, but I can't think of why it would need a CFI even for training not in the furtherance of a rating.:dunno: There's plenty to learn as PIC that is not in furtherance of a rating.

I've never heard of it for a rental, but sometimes for checkouts for insurance they only require hours with another pilot who has time in type. When I started flying the 310, the requirement was 10 hours with a pilot who had at least 50 hours of 310 time. That wasn't dual since the pilot was an ATP, but not CFI.

Why wasn't it dual? :dunno: Where does it say that all dual must be with a CFI? Serious question. I was asked to check out and fly 5hrs with a guy in my buddy's Bonanza he sold that I had over 100hrs PIC (plus 400 in my Travelair by then), all approved by the insurance. I don't know if he logged it dual or not but would it matter?

I don't think I gain a whole lot by putting the .8 as dual specifically, I just noticed he filled everything else out except dual so was just curious. Only thing he actually taught/showed me was local pattern procedures and how to turn the air conditioning on (that little switch thingy that says "AC on/off").

yeah, I just double checked the entry the cfi made in my book when I got checked out in the Archer III in FLA and didn't see dual time logged so just wanted to make sure before I update it. thanks!

The only function it would serve is to help you identify the entry that shows that checkout. Typically one only logs dual what is required for earning and maintaining ratings. In the end though, the log book is yours to maintain as you please so long as what you record is accurate. It's your record of what you have done flying.

Other than where a type rating is involved or you lack a required additional training endorsement (HP, complex, TW, high-altitude), there is no FAA regulation requiring that a "checkout" be conducted by an instructor, nor, if it is conducted by an instructor, that it be "training". So, if you flew with an authorized instructor who gave you training and signed your logbook as having given you training during that flight, yes, it does count as "training time'. Otherwise, it does not.

The fact that you're flying with a CFI does not by itself make it "training time" (aka "dual received"). The CFI must actually be giving you training, and the training must be documented IAW 61.51 including the instructor's signature. Since there is no FAA requirement that a "checkout" be conducted as training, this isn't a given even if it's nearly universally done that way. Note that even a PP could conduct a "checkout" in his/her own plane before allowing another pilot to take it flying, and that certainly would not be "training".

And I'm sure that just like me, Ted has on many occasions flown as a passenger in the right seat without giving "training" to or signing the logbook of the pilot who flying the plane.

Last edited:
Why wasn't it dual? :dunno:
Because the other pilot was not an "authorized instructor" as the FAA defines that term.

Where does it say that all dual must be with a CFI? Serious question.
14 CFR 61.1 and 14 CFR 61.51. The only exception is ATP's designated as company instructors giving training to company pilots at a 121 or 135 operation (see the last paragraph under "Authorized Instructor").
Flight training means that training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.
Authorized instructor means--
(i) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with Sec. 61.217, when conducting ground training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her ground instructor certificate;
(ii) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with Sec. 61.197, when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate; or
(iii) A person authorized by the Administrator to provide ground training or flight training under part 61, 121, 135, or 142 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with that authority.
(h) Logging training time.
(1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.
(2) The training time must be logged in a logbook and must:
(i) Be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized instructor; and
(ii) Include a description of the training given, the length of the training lesson, and the instructor's authorized signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date.
I was asked to check out and fly 5hrs with a guy in my buddy's Bonanza he sold that I had over 100hrs PIC (plus 400 in my Travelair by then), all approved by the insurance.
Nothing wrong with that, but....
I don't know if he logged it dual or not but would it matter?
...it would indeed matter if that pilot logged it as "training time". That would be a 61.59 violation since it was not training received from authorized instructor.

Last edited:
Because you were not an "authorized instructor" as the FAA defines that term.

14 CFR 61.1 and 14 CFR 61.51. The only exception is ATP's designated as company instructors giving training to company pilots at a 121 or 135 operation (see the last paragraph under "Authorized Instructor").
Nothing wrong with that, but....
...it would indeed matter if that pilot logged it as "training time". That would be a 61.59 violation since it was not training received from authorized instructor.

What does it violate when not given as required training?:dunno: Unless the flight in question is offered as official record in the requirements for a certificate, how does it violate a regulation that doesn't apply?:dunno:

The only function it would serve is to help you identify the entry that shows that checkout. Typically one only logs dual what is required for earning and maintaining ratings.
Henning may do it that way, but that is not the way pilots generally do it, and it is not sufficient to meet regulatory requirements for things like flight reviews, IPC's, and additional training endorsements, not to mention insurance checkouts requiring training from a CFI, as well as many other situations.

In the end though, the log book is yours to maintain as you please so long as what you record is accurate. It's your record of what you have done flying.
Not exactly true. By law, it is the document you use to "document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:
(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.
(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part."

You may choose to use it for other purposes, too, or have some sort of separate journal in which you put anything you like, but your "pilot logbook" used for the purposes listed above must conform to 14 CFR 61.51 and all other applicable FAA regulations.

What does it violate when not given as required training?:dunno:
14 CFR sections 61.59 and 61.51.

Unless the flight in question is offered as official record in the requirements for a certificate, how does it violate a regulation that doesn't apply?:dunno:
You really think you can tell the FAA "These entries which I have certified by my signature as being correct IAW the regulations are not really what they say they are so you should ignore them"? :no:

Well, after years of reading your posts, maybe you do, but you'd be wrong about that.

(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.

so in my case, a 'checkride' required only by the renting facility does not fall under any of the above, and technically neither would a PPL'd pilot booking time with a CFI "just for the hell of it" or to review something, x-wind landings, night currency, etc...technically under the above, that isn't log-able dual, ya?

The OP question was concerning a checkout. The pilot getting the checkout should be the PIC for the ride,he is neither getting instruction or training,he is showing his competence in flying the aircraft in question.

so in my case, a 'checkride' required only by the renting facility does not fall under any of the above, and technically neither would a PPL'd pilot booking time with a CFI "just for the hell of it" or to review something, x-wind landings, night currency, etc...technically under the above, that isn't log-able dual, ya?
Depends on whether or not the instructor gives you training on those flights. If s/he does, then it constitutes "training time" and may be logged and signed as such -- and if you paid for it, you probably want it logged accordingly, although nothing in the regulations says you must record it at all unless you want to use it for FAA purposes later. If s/he does not give you training, or s/he is not an authorized instructor, then it is not "training" under these regulations and is not legal to record in your pilot logbook as "training".

That said, since I got my CFI ticket 42 years ago, I cannot remember ever being asked to fly with a pilot to "review something, x-wind landings, night currency, etc" without it ending up in their logbook as "training" over my signature as an authorized instructor.

The OP question was concerning a checkout. The pilot getting the checkout should be the PIC for the ride,he is neither getting instruction or training,he is showing his competence in flying the aircraft in question.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on a lot of things, starting with the rental agency's rules, which probably (based on insurance requirements) prohibit the pilot from acting as PIC in their airplane until the checkout is complete.

Depends on whether or not the instructor gives you training on those flights. If s/he does, then it constitutes "training time" and may be logged and signed as such -- and if you paid for it, you probably want it logged accordingly, although nothing in the regulations says you must record it at all unless you want to use it for FAA purposes later. If s/he does not give you training, or s/he is not an authorized instructor, then it is not "training" under these regulations and is not legal to record in your pilot logbook as "training".....

but I did get 'training' on my checkride, the CFI gave me some pointers that to me fall under 'training' (more than just 'can we rent this plane to this guy'), HOWEVER:

this was not the case, the training I may have rec'd was NOT towards a cert/rating/FR.

also,

That said, since I got my CFI ticket 42 years ago, I cannot remember ever being asked to fly with a pilot to "review something, x-wind landings, night currency, etc" without it ending up in their logbook as "training" over my signature as an authorized instructor

I'm not asking about putting "training" under the remarks section of the logbook, I'm specifically asking about logging the time as dual.

but I did get 'training' on my checkride, the CFI gave me some pointers that to me fall under 'training' (more than just 'can we rent this plane to this guy'),
Then there's no reason not to log it as training, but nothing wrong with not doing so, either. My original main point is that just because you had a CFI in the right seat, it is not automatically "training" (what we used to call "dual" a long time ago). OTOH, for it to be "training", you must have received that training from an authorized instructor who signed the logbook entry.

HOWEVER:

this was not the case, the training I may have rec'd was NOT towards a cert/rating/FR.
It may still be used to do that later on even if the future use is not immediately apparent. E.g., many insurers and rental agencies require some minimum amount of applicable training time even if the current one does not, and that training time you get now may be used to meet that requirement later, but only if it's "training time" signed in your logbook by an authorized instructor.

I'm not asking about putting "training" under the remarks section of the logbook, I'm specifically asking about logging the time as dual.
The term "dual" was deleted from the regulations a long time ago, so logging it as "dual" today would be inappropriate. However, "dual" entries from the past are considered to be "training" today, so if by the use of the term "dual" you really mean "training", then that's what I'm talking about, too.

Last edited:
...The term "dual" was deleted from the regulations a long time ago, so logging it as dual would be inappropriate. However, "dual" entries from the past are considered "training" today, so if by the use of the term "dual" you really mean "training", then that's what I'm talking about, too.

lol, dayum, learn't me something new! maybe I have an old logbook that still has the "Dual rec'd" column in it.

thanks for everyone's input! again, I was more just curious, I don't feel the need to log it as anything more than PIC/checkout time.

If I'm going up with someone in an instrucitonal-esque environment (and especially if I'm filling out the logbook page), then I am going to be providing training, and thus be loggable as dual received.

If I'm going up with someone in an instrucitonal-esque environment (and especially if I'm filling out the logbook page), then I am going to be providing training, and thus be loggable as dual received.
Me, too. But that doesn't mean I'm always giving training when I'm in the right seat, as implied by two early posts in this thread which said in essence that any time a CFI is in the right seat, it's training and should be logged as such.

Any time you are paying a CFI to fly with you, checkout, training, brush up, etc, you can log it dual.

Why are some folks just determined to try to swim upstream :dunno:

Would you be kind enough to cite the regulation which says that?

Common friggin sense.

If I'm paying a CFI, I'm paying for instruction, thus logging dual.

Common friggin sense.

If you're paying for the CFI, you're paying for him to sign your logbook too. It's pretty tough to prove dual received without that signature. If it's an insurance company mandated checkout with a specified set of conditions, you'll need those signatures to make the insurance company happy.

If you're paying for the CFI, you're paying for him to sign your logbook too. It's pretty tough to prove dual received without that signature. If it's an insurance company mandated checkout with a specified set of conditions, you'll need those signatures to make the insurance company happy.

Exactly, and no signature no pay.

Like I said if you're paying a CFI for instruction/brush up/ insurance ride/ whatever = dual

Common friggin sense.

Unforuntantely, "common friggin' sense" is not a valid argument in the interpretation of Federal regulations. So, I guess you do not have any regulation to support your statement. OTOH, I am a CFI, and I have been paid for flying with someone without giving them training, and I can assure you I did not sign their logbook for training in those cases.

Last edited:
Exactly, and no signature no pay.

Like I said if you're paying a CFI for instruction/brush up/ insurance ride/ whatever = dual

Since there is no longer any such thing in the regulations as "dual", I guess it doesn't matter. But regardless of whether or not someone got paid, without the authorized instructor's signature in your pilot logbook attesting to the training, you cannot legally log it as training time.

Unforuntantely, "common friggin' sense" is not a valid argument in the interpretation of Federal regulations. So, I guess you do not have any regulation to support your statement. OTOH, I am a CFI, and I have been paid for flying with someone without giving them training, and I can assure you I did not sign their logbook for training in those cases.

Ron, in this case you would be paid for the use of your commercial certificate and not your instructor certificate.

Ron, in this case you would be paid for the use of your commercial certificate and not your instructor certificate.
Exactly. The fact that I also have a CFI ticket would be irrelevant. And that's not a "rogue air-taxi operation" if I'm not supplying the airplane. Example: Several times after completing an IR practical test, my trainee has felt too wiped out to fly home, and asked me to take that leg. No training, but I'm flying his/her plane from the right seat, so I log it but it doesn't go in the aircraft owner's log as training or anything else even though I'm still getting paid to do it.

I'm going to make the wild and crazy assumption that by
checkout, training, brush up, etc,
James is referring to events that are considered to be training that takes place in an aircraft in flight.

OTOH, do you have a regulation or interpretation with a definition of the word "training" saying those events are not to support your statement? I'm only aware of one thing a CFI commonly does as CFI that has been specifically interpreted to be not training for logging purposes.

Ron, your exception makes the rule. If I pay a CFI for a checkout, and he feels the need to write in my logbook, he'll also sign it and put the time under "training received." If I'm taking a CFI along for my own comfort, or to get myself somewhere, that's a different story, and NOT the scenario presented by the OP. He should log the time as Training, and the CFI should sign it.

Say you were a young CFI and worked at an FBO that just happened to have an Aero Commander Shrike. Suppose they had a 5 hr check out requirement, and Bob Hoover walked in to rent the airplane.

After the flight would you log Bob's logbook as "instruction?"

I've never logged a checkout as dual, and I don't think any CFI giving me one has ever endorsed it as such. I'm not sure what the advantage would be.

I suppose if you wanted to do it concurrent with a BFR that would be fine, but if anything, it would take longer, since a checkout normally just focuses on the specifics of the airplane to be flown.

Yo homie. If you be ridin dirty wit a teach to yo right. May be dual, may be not. Def be loggin that PIC if you got the certs to back dat up.

I've never logged a checkout as dual, and I don't think any CFI giving me one has ever endorsed it as such. I'm not sure what the advantage would be.
OTOH all of the checkouts I've received (and there have been a lot) have been logged and endorsed by the instructor as dual. Truthfully, I have never been checked out where I did not learn something from the instructor, even in aircraft that I've flown more hours than the instructor or even those I've taught in.

Advantages? Especially for the young CFI, time building logging it as PIC for himself (there's a theory floating around that the CFI can't log it as PIC unless he also logs it as dual for the student).

For the student? I guess the same things that makes the OP in this case wants the time to be logged as dual. Meeting real or perceived requirements for something (it doesn't have to be an FAA certificate or rating).

Back