Checklists

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
So, I'm a big fan of making your own checklists (and even using them occasionally :rofl:) for a few reasons. First, it helps you to learn the plane. Second, you can make the print bigger.

Perhaps most importantly, you can tailor the checklists to the way your own brain works. I find personally that with most airplanes, the normal procedures are way overdone (ie: Master on, check fuel gauges, master off - How about just "Check fuel gauges" and if they show zero you say "Duh" and turn the master on to check 'em like you should have in the first place?). So, I eliminate the items that are no-brainers (to me) so that it's more concise and there's less chance I'll miss an important item.

I also find that the emergency procedures are often incomplete, as they relate only to airframe items (check mags, switch tanks, etc.) and not to other things (airspeed, where am I gonna land, declare emergency, etc.). I'm quite sure that in a real-life emergency it's likely to have a lot of oh-$#!+ going on and thus really need more thorough, comprehensive checklists.

With that in mind, I'm attaching a PDF of the checklist I finally made for the Arrow IV that I'm doing my commercial in as an example. Keep in mind that this is what works for *ME*. Hopefully, this will inspire some of you to make your own. :yes:

BTW, I print these on both sides of one sheet of paper, fold 'em in half and stick 'em in my IFR Flight File which makes it easy to flip them around, plus they stay relatively nice for a while without having to get them laminated.

Questions and suggestions welcome. :yes:

Attachments

• Checklist - Arrow IV.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Checklists are for old people.

as Nick noted, apparently Kent forgot to attach the file... but I imagine the checklist is just fabulous.. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Kent, it takes some time, but I also went through and made my own checklists for 172R, 172S with G1000 and 182T with G1000. If anybody would like to "borrow" them and adjust for them for your own use, PM or e-mail me or post here and I'll post them. I would have just posted them, but I can't seem to locate the Word files, so it might be on one of my flash drives.

I used both sides of 8.5 x 11 paper with normal checklists on one side and emergency checklists on the other. I also have all of the V speeds. It's nice to have everything on one sheet of paper. I simplified mine like Kent, and also added some things that aren't in the POH checklist, like verifying cell phones are off.

Last edited:
I made my own checklists for my Cherokee. I loved 'em, I printed them on cardstock and cut them out to be smaller sized and laminated them, connecting them with a ring.

Then I threw them in my bag after the first few uses and never used 'em again, unfortunately. Checklists are very important, but when your pretakeoff checklist consists of:

"Mixture - set"
"Landing light - on"
"Transponder - ALT"

and your cruise checklist consists of:

"Mixture - set"
"Landing light - off"

And your descent checklist consists of:

"Mixture - set"
"Landing light - on"

And your prelanding checklist consists of:

"Mixture - set"
"Confirm Landing Light - on"

And your Clear of runway check consists of:

"Mixture - set"
"Landing light - off"

You kinda sorta don't need a checklist anymore.

I've attached my 182T (G1000) checklist - I have them for the 172R, 172S (steam/glass), 182S, Seminole, Trinidad, New Archer, and the 206. If you like them and want them, drop me an email.

It's designed to be printed on both sides of a letter-sized page, and then folded in half.

Attachments

• 182T booklet.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 54
I've attached my 182T (G1000) checklist - I have them for the 172R, 172S (steam/glass), 182S, Seminole, Trinidad, New Archer, and the 206. If you like them and want them, drop me an email.

It's designed to be printed on both sides of a letter-sized page, and then folded in half.

wow. I'm impressed. You even have a chart for the glide range. Nicely done.

The planes I fly simply do not justify the use of a checklist. I do not plan on making a career out of flying large complex jets that need them so I have no need to try and develop the checklist habit.

If I absolutely could not start a DA-20 or C172 without a checklist I should probably call it a day. That's about the most complicated thing on the whole list.

The only checklist I could see myself using would be for systems on retracts and other larger airplanes along with some type of IFR checklist if I flew IFR.

I do review checklists for any new model airplane I'm flying. But once I know the airplane it's the end of it.

I'm not saying checklists are a bad thing. I'm not saying that I wouldn't use one in some situations. I'm just saying I have no reason, desire, or need to use one in the airplanes I fly today.

The point of a checklist is not to walk you through the things you're supposed to do (it's a checklist, not a do-list), it's to have a reference once you've done a flow to make sure you haven't forgotten anything. Takes maybe three seconds to read the appropriate section and be sure.

I'm assuming you never want to fly anything for a living, because if you do, your employer will require you to use appropriate checklists (even if you're flying financial documents in a 172), and will fire your butt if you don't.

The point of a checklist is not to walk you through the things you're supposed to do (it's a checklist, not a do-list), it's to have a reference once you've done a flow to make sure you haven't forgotten anything. Takes maybe three seconds to read the appropriate section and be sure.
If it takes three seconds and it's to verify what you've done after you've done it. You might as well not even read it because you won't even notice you didn't do it.

I'll know if I didn't do something important in a 172 or DA-20 awful fast. How will I know? The airplane won't even move.

TMetzinger said:
I'm assuming you never want to fly anything for a living, because if you do, your employer will require you to use appropriate checklists (even if you're flying financial documents in a 172), and will fire your butt if you don't.

I wrote above that I do not plan on flying for a living. If I were flying for a living and my job required I look at a piece of paper and say "check" I would do it.

We all make our own choices. I made a choice a long time ago that I don't need a paper checklist to fly a light single engine fixed gear airplane.

I do use verbal checklists which I've developed for run up, take off, and landing.

I searched around for a checklist online for my Cherokee, and then verified everything and editied the text to fit the format I wanted. Printed it on regular 8.5X11 paper, 2 pages to a side, so I end up with 5X8 printed sections - about the same as some of the commercial information pages I get from AOPA and King - ran them through a laminator, and then punch them for rings and make my checklist book. Only issue was working out the page placement since pages 4 and 1 are together, 2 and 3 are together, etc. Worked great. I agree it is still useful as a memory jogger to verify you did not forget anything before moving on to the next phase. Most important part of this was learning the steps and numbers for my plane, which was new to me. I still look at it, but more from habit than because I am worried about missing something.

Last edited:
Start:
Breakers, brakes, master, mixture, pump on, start, pump off, master avionics on.

Takeoff (after runup):
WHATIMISS:
Winds, Heading set, Altimeter set, Trim Set, Identify yourself (Xponder), Mixture, Instruments, Seats/Belts, Switches

Landing:
Fuel, mixture, switches, seatbelts.

Shutdown:
Master, Master, mixture, mags

Do I really need a huge checklist for non-emergency stuff in a Fixed PA28?

Takeoff:

Controls
Ballast
Straps
Instruments
Flaps
Trim
Canopy
airBrakes

Landing:

Flaps
Undercarriage
Speed
Trim
Airbrakes
Look
Land

Tim, that's a great looking checklist. I'd love to see the others you've created. I've spent hours looking at various versions I found on the web to figure out what could be changed and improved.

During IR training, I had the Checkbook version for the 172S I started with but nothing similar for the Nav III. So, I bought Adobe Pagemaker and created something similar based on the booklet concept. I like viewing a single section that narrows my view for that flight segment and will go into a yoke clip without sticking out too far. Eventually, I'll set it up to adapt to other aircraft I'll fly or teach in.

I think that concept is also good for the professional flight student. I doubt there's a regional jet out there or any turbine aircraft where the entire checklist fits on a single page. This gets them in the habit of turning to the applicable section.

Start:
Breakers, brakes, master, mixture, pump on, start, pump off, master avionics on.

Takeoff (after runup):
WHATIMISS:
Winds, Heading set, Altimeter set, Trim Set, Identify yourself (Xponder), Mixture, Instruments, Seats/Belts, Switches

Landing:
Fuel, mixture, switches, seatbelts.

Shutdown:
Master, Master, mixture, mags

Do I really need a huge checklist for non-emergency stuff in a Fixed PA28?
If this is it, you missed a few little things we (my partners and I) like to see done. It will fly and it will land with what you listed, but sometimes the little things are what keep the peace in a partnership. Some items are plane specific, like power on/off for the GPS and intercom. Some are personal preference, like pulling the prop around 4 turns before start. Some are safety items for this plane like pump on for TO and landing, and off for cruise; and pull carb heat on downwind. But you are right, you do it several times and it becomes almost automatic. A checklist just standardizes what we agree ought to be automatic.

I'll avoid the whole paper checklist vs mental checklist debate...

however, I would agree with those that say the takeoff, cruise and landing phases are pretty straight-forward. You do it enough, and you know everything that needs to be done, but I do double-check it to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The pre-flight actions are also nice to have documented to make sure nothing was missed. Again, I've pre-flighted a 172/182 enough that I can do it by memory, but I still use the checklist to make sure nothing got missed. I'm not in any hurry to get in the air in under 10 minutes, so I take my time and make sure I don't miss anything.

I like my single page checklist because in the event of an emergency, I wouldn't have to grab the POH and try and find the appropriate page. I just flip it over to the emergency side and locate the section I need. Again, if I've done my job and committed the appropriate items to memory, I shouldn't need it, but in the event of an emergency, having something in front of you to jog your memory might be a pretty useful thing.

Pre-Takeoff:
Controls, Intsruments, Gas, Attitude, Runup, Security

Pre-Landing:
Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Seatbelts

Shutdown:
Radios, Electrical, Mixture, Master, Mags
(I like to remember "REMMM", as in rem sleep)

Takeoff:
Lights, Camera, Action

Engine out:
Glide, Locate field, Go there
Talk, Transponder, Troubleshoot

I don't have good mnemonic for start up, but I can do the sequence easily from memory................
Breakers (in), Mixture (rich), Master (on), Clear (area), Gas (prime or throttle), Starter (engage), Throttle (1000 rpm), Mixture (lean for no fouling), Engine (check instruments)

The only checklist I could see myself using would be for systems on retracts and other larger airplanes along with some type of IFR checklist if I flew IFR.

That's actually why I started doing this. I did the configurations first ("performance" box) and then figured, why not have everything in one place and have all of this crazy IFR crap included?

So, you'll note that I've included things like the VOR check, the instrument checks, etc.

And, a few more points...

No, you don't need checklists all the time. I actually use a combination of three things:

1. Memorized checklists. (Start: Master, beacon, mixture, tank, pump, prime, clear, start, check oil pressure, lean. Cruise: Trim, time, lights, pump, power, mixture, compass, cowl flaps. Shutdown: Avionics, switches, mixture, mags, master... The above work for all of our club planes, and I simply eliminate the pump-related stuff in the 182 and the cowl flaps in the Archer.) If something happens in the middle of one of these, I start over to be sure I haven't missed something.

2. Mnemonics. PAIN CALL for instrument approaches, the four C's for go-arounds and missed approaches, GUMPS, 5 T's, Lights-Camera-Action, we've been through these.

3. Paper checklists. I'll mostly use these when I'm going into hard IFR and want to make damn sure the bases are covered, or if I'm distracted by pax and want to make sure I don't miss something important. I generally check the paper list just prior to takeoff to make sure I didn't miss anything (tho if I'm alone or haven't had any distractions and I've been flying a ton so I know I didn't miss something, I might skip it.)

Start: Do I really need a huge checklist for non-emergency stuff in a Fixed PA28?

Huge? No. It's good to have just in case of distracting pax or something as mentioned above. If you EVER use paper checklists, you can do WAY better than the factory ones, and that's the point of this thread. I'm not thumping the paper-checklist bible (ask Kate :rolleyes:) I'm just saying that we should all have a thorough checklist *available* if we need it in a format that works best for each of us.

Kent is the king of mnemonics, I think he even has one to tie his shoes.

So are you going to attach your checklist or did you just give up?

I live in a different world, Kent! Even on a checkride, the DE doesn't expect you to consult a checklist in a helicopter once you're ready to start the engine. Reason? You need both hands and your feet on the controls. So most of us never take the checklist out!

There is no landing checklist for Robinsons. With a fuel injected engine the only thing you need to remember is to slow down to around 60-65 KIAS before setting up to land.

There was a fun thread on a helicopter board (verticalreference.com) a few months ago about checkist items people had forgotten. One pilot said that he took off with the doors off (not unusual in warm weather) made a right turn (remember that the pilot generally flies from the right seat), hit a little turbulance, felt light in the seat. And realized that he had never strapped himself in :hairraise:

One pilot said that he took off with the doors off (not unusual in warm weather) made a right turn (remember that the pilot generally flies from the right seat), hit a little turbulance, felt light in the seat. And realized that he had never strapped himself in :hairraise:

That reminds me of the story my dad always tells of when he forgot to strap himself into the stearman. It was during some type of bug infestation and they were in a huge rush. On his first pass he dove over some trees and went negative to find himself floating out of his seat holding onto nothing but the stick trying to hook his legs on the airplane to pull himself back in. He never forgot that again.

One of my family member's had their stearman totaled because a fellow air show pilot borrowed their plane. This guy did some type of negative G maneuver and was ejected out of the airplane instantly. He forgot to strap himself in as well. Thankfully he had a parachute. The airplane didn't fare so well.

That reminds me of the story my dad always tells of when he forgot to strap himself into the stearman. It was during some type of bug infestation and they were in a huge rush. On his first pass he dove over some trees and went negative to find himself floating out of his seat holding onto nothing but the stick trying to hook his legs on the airplane to pull himself back in. He never forgot that again.

holy crap just reading that made me feel like i was floating out of my seat. :eek:

The planes I fly simply do not justify the use of a checklist. I do not plan on making a career out of flying large complex jets that need them so I have no need to try and develop the checklist habit.
As unpopular as the thought might be, I tend to agree with jesse. If you fly the same simple thing all the time and don't plan on flying anything different, there's probably no need for a written checklist. I think there are some older ones out there that never even had a manufacturer's checklist.

But I think the problem comes along as soon as you move into something that is different (or move among different types of airplanes). Having formed and continued the habit of using one, it's a little easier to make the transition. Example:

I was doing HP training for a pilot. Nothing particularly difficult - a 172 pilot moving into a 182 - about as simple a HP transition as you can do. The most difficult part of the whole thing was getting him to close the cowl flaps. He has stopped using checklists in the 172, was faced with a new system that wasn't as obvious as the prop/MP change and kept forgetting it - with the checklist sitting totally unused and forgotten. I even said to him once, "You know, there is something here in the airplane that can help you remember the cowl flaps," and he just stared at me with no idea what I was talking about.

realized that he had never strapped himself in :hairraise:

Did that on one of my early student-pilot solo's. Was in an airplane (SuperCub), but it was bumpy and it scared me.

Now I'm an old instructor, and once in a while, when the student is going through the pre-start checklist, it will still remind me to strap in, or usually, get my shoulder strap. And, still, sometimes, not very often, but once in a blue moon, a checklist will uncover a momentary brain-fart, and save my day. That's over a 46 year period of using/not using/paper/plastic whatever. I'm in favor, now, of the follow-up printed checklist method, even in small airplanes.

I got tired of banging my head into the roof to remind me to buckle up.

Did that on one of my early student-pilot solo's. Was in an airplane (SuperCub), but it was bumpy and it scared me.

Now I'm an old instructor, and once in a while, when the student is going through the pre-start checklist, it will still remind me to strap in, or usually, get my shoulder strap. And, still, sometimes, not very often, but once in a blue moon, a checklist will uncover a momentary brain-fart, and save my day. That's over a 46 year period of using/not using/paper/plastic whatever. I'm in favor, now, of the follow-up printed checklist method, even in small airplanes.

I got tired of banging my head into the roof to remind me to buckle up.

My verbal preflight checklist covers this pretty well including multiple checks of the canopy.

DPE (and former FAA Inspector) Frank Phillips talks about the checklist issue with every applicant who comes to him. I haven't yet memorized his definition of "checklist," but it's something like "an ordered series of steps in a process to accomplish a particular task." He emphasizes that it need not be printed. For simple light planes, those who (like me) use the CIGAR-TIP checklist for pretakeoff are using a method equally as valid as running their finger down a printed checklist.

No, this won't fly with the FAA for Part 121 ops, nor will it be acceptable in a multicrew environment where "challenge and reply" is the order of the day. But if you can order your thoughts, and have a means to accurately and reproducibly run through and check the steps needed for tasks like engine start, pre-takeoff, etc., there is no requirement to refer to a printed checklist each time you do that task.

BTW, here's my Tiger checklist -- very spartan, and thoroughly memorized (note that the Before Takeoff section is CIGAR-TIP -- well, -TIF, really, since the prop is fixed, but I always remember).

Attachments

• Tiger Checklist - rev 1.doc
    40 KB · Views: 34
Gaaah! Now you know why the first two items on my checklist should be "Airplane keys" and "You left your checklist in the car, dummy." :rofl:

When I was flying Young Eagles at Meigs I would buckle everybody up, including me, and then have to unbuckle to dig the keys for the plane out of my pocket. :redface: That happened more times than I want to admit.

We also need to add Mobile Phone.......OFF especially with GSM phones that scream loud when they can't find a cell tower.

One of my family member's had their stearman totaled because a fellow air show pilot borrowed their plane. This guy did some type of negative G maneuver and was ejected out of the airplane instantly. He forgot to strap himself in as well. Thankfully he had a parachute. The airplane didn't fare so well.

Tony ("Fly Boys") Bill told a true WW I story that was so unbelievable he couldn't consider putting it in the movie.

A pilot had his plane go inverted throwing him out - they didn't have belts. The pilot hung on underneath the cockpit while it flew inverted. He managed to pull himself back up enough to recover and land the plane. :hairraise:

Tony ("Fly Boys") Bill told a true WW I story that was so unbelievable he couldn't consider putting it in the movie.

A pilot had his plane go inverted throwing him out - they didn't have belts. The pilot hung on underneath the cockpit while it flew inverted. He managed to pull himself back up enough to recover and land the plane. :hairraise:

You missed the why... They did have belts I think, but they had to stand up in flight to reload their gun. And you also missed the really hairy part - It was an inverted spin!

I'd have died of a heart attack from all the adrenaline before either recovering or hitting the ground...

One of the things that I've gotten into the habit of doing is to do one last full check of the airplane just after run-up. I do this by sweeping across the airplane, left to right, and I just "tap" everything. I start at the left door handle if there is one (which reminds me to check my seat belts) and end at the right door handle after passing across the instrument panel. I just tap everything for half a second. That quick tap is enough time for me to process if there is anything that I forgot with that item. For instance, as I tap the DG I can glance at the compass to make sure that it's set. As I tap the engine gauges I make sure they're all in the green. As I tap the transponder it gets set to ALT, etc. I tap everything that relates to the flight. Yoke, instruments, flap handle, trim wheel, breakers, switches, seats (adjusted)...you get the idea.

It takes me about 10 seconds to make it across the panel, but I've found it to be the most efficient way for me to catch anything that I may have missed up to that point. Checklists are fine, but I found myself skimming down them and missing items. Using the "tap scan" I've never missed an item before departure.

I always have the checklist at my side for emergency procedures, and I do still skim the entire thing just before starting the engine, but I don't use it after that.

At this point, the only time I ever use a printed checklist is when I'm flying something other than the RV. I have nearly 200hrs in the RV, so if I don't have that whole process engraved in my brain by now, it ain't gonna happen. BUT, when I have to rent a 172, etc., I will take the 40-forevers necessary to read through each individual step on the checklist. There really isn't anything 'different' on the 172 as opposed to the RV, but simple things like "lock the doors", etc. need to be double checked for me b/c the RV doesn't have 'em. :)

For pre-takeoff I use GUMPS HATTT in all airplanes on top of any printed checklist I might use.

DPE (and former FAA Inspector) Frank Phillips talks about the checklist issue with every applicant who comes to him. I haven't yet memorized his definition of "checklist," but it's something like "an ordered series of steps in a process to accomplish a particular task." He emphasizes that it need not be printed. For simple light planes, those who (like me) use the CIGAR-TIP checklist for pretakeoff are using a method equally as valid as running their finger down a printed checklist.
I tend to disagree with this for a single reason resulting from experiences with a handful of pilots...

As we age, our memory for "an ordered series of steps..." tends to fail. If we rely on our memory, one of two things will happen, IMO. We may forget something really important ("GUMPS...Gas...U...U...U...What does the "U" stand for again?" This is an actual quote from a pilot in a complex airplane, btw.) On the other hand, we may realize that we are consistently catching things with the checklist that should have been already done, and decide that maybe we need to evaluate what and/or how we fly before we hurt ourselves or someone else.

Personally, after 12 years of "Cigar tips" and "Gumps" in my Maule, I have decided to make and use a good checklist for that reason.

And no, Ron, I'm not implying that YOU're old...just using the quote to start out with ;)

Fly safe!

David

I find many pre-printed checklists to be excessively-detailed, and they often lose their value and usefulness (I am not talking 121 here).

I do like "big-picture" checklists, and also believe (strongly) that making one's own checklist (with appropriate consultation with the POH) is the best practice; "locks in" the information better.

If I absolutely could not start a DA-20 or C172 without a checklist I should probably call it a day. That's about the most complicated thing on the whole list.

I do review checklists for any new model airplane I'm flying. But once I know the airplane it's the end of it.

I'm not saying checklists are a bad thing. I'm not saying that I wouldn't use one in some situations. I'm just saying I have no reason, desire, or need to use one in the airplanes I fly today.

This is directly from the special emphasis area of the PTS:

"Applicant's Use of Checklists

Throughout the practical test, the applicant is evaluated on the use of
an appropriate checklist. Proper use is dependent on the specific TASK
being evaluated. The situation may be such that the use of the
checklist, while accomplishing elements of an Objective, would be
either unsafe or impractical, especially in a single-pilot operation. In this
case, a review of the checklist after the elements have been
accomplished, would be appropriate. Division of attention and proper
visual scanning should be considered when using a checklist."

Also, nearly every item includes one of the following: utilizes appropriate checklist, completes appropriate checklist, or accomplishes the appropriate checklist.

If the FAA feels that it is this important I think there may actually be something to it. Checklist usage in some format is the safest way to operate an aircraft. I would encourage you to review the PTS, no every flight isn't a checkride but these are the standards to which you should strive as a pilot. The link is provided below.

http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/media/FAA-S-8081-14A.pdf

Back