Checklist Thread

Pads to literally check off things with a pencil seems to be a bit of overkill to me, but if that's what makes sense to you to foster the right discipline for you, go for it.

To each his own. Both laminated checklist and pad require a trip to the Office supply store. I think both require about the same amount of money. Yes you can use a dry erase marker on the laminate, but the pad comes with it sown cardboard backing. And yes, physically checking things, especially by your passenger, makes certain you did them. Moreover it is a facile way to involve your passenger in the preflight, giving them a better experience.

When making your own checklists start with what's in the book. Then add items you think are poorly worded, in the wrong order, or missing. First use, study the list and say the items out loud as you use it and THINK about what each item is and why it's there to verify the list is complete. Refine the list as experience reveals deficits. When you look at, touch or adjust anything in or around the plane make sure you have that reflected somewhere in your list. One technique is to keep them in a document you can edit easily. Use a paper cutter to form the list into a column-like format and staple the corner. Have two separate lists each within ready reach in the plane. One for 'normal' items. One for 'emergency' items.

The funny thing about the Mooney is I do everything backwards from what I did in my non-complex aircraft. In the other aircraft I used a checklist during preflight and never during flight. In the Mooney I don't use a checklist during preflight but I do use it during flight. The problem is Mooney checklists suck, even the custom ones I got from the previous owner.

I am actually thinking about developing my own. What I want to do is draw one up that matches my flow around the airplane. Type it up, but instead of laminating it I'd like to make it into a pad. Its really inexpensive to do at any office supply place. Every time I fly I literally check off the to do items, better yet I have whoever's flying with me check them off at my direction. I have to confirm everything's been checked before we can fly. A hundred sheets will last me for some time.

I made one up on my ipad using Gamin Pilot that works pretty slick. I don't know if FF has a checklist but I can't believe it doesn't

I made one up on my ipad using Gamin Pilot that works pretty slick. I don't know if FF has a checklist but I can't believe it doesn't
Sucks if the iThingie breaks. That, and I can't get the iThingie to do much of anything while I'm wearing gloves, which is kinda important when the mercury drops.

Sucks if the iThingie breaks. That, and I can't get the iThingie to do much of anything while I'm wearing gloves, which is kinda important when the mercury drops.

I'm a paper checklist fan myself. Laminated at office depot. But broken in to where they are not so stiff

I have a daunting task ahead of me. My CFI is making me write my own checklists and SOP for every phase of flight as part of my instrument training. Not only write it but also use it. I actually think this is an awesome idea, I can come up with my own flows and organize things the way I want instead of a drab poorly worded coffee stained checklists.

It does actually, and they have alot of airplanes loaded on there.

There are, of course, gloves that you can use with a tablet.

I do have my checklists on my tablet, but I rarely use them. I used the ones on the tablet exclusively for a while but discovered the paper ones made for a better workflow in the cockpit.

Back