Checklist app?

MemphisCrimson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
memphisCrimson
Does anyone know of a good checklist app? I know that ForeFlight has one but I was curious if there were any others.

No

Half page long wise laminated.

Attachments

• D2AEF846-8965-4294-A0F9-99084C69B9C8.jpeg
    D2AEF846-8965-4294-A0F9-99084C69B9C8.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 41
I've got a laminated one but my CFI found one on ForeFlight that is pretty cool. You select the plane you are flying then the checklist opens up. What I liked about it was I could open it up on my ipad or phone and checkoff each item as I do it. Just thought it was neat.

I've got a laminated one but my CFI found one on ForeFlight that is pretty cool. You select the plane you are flying then the checklist opens up. What I liked about it was I could open it up on my ipad or phone and checkoff each item as I do it. Just thought it was neat.

It’s neat, I have found the electronic checklists aren’t very efficient or practical.
Of course that is just me.

I did my printed one for the 182 that merge the factory POH with the Robertson addendum, the size of an approach chart.

Why? Because I’m lazy and cheap.

Plastic sleeves abound for approach charts and clip rings to hold it all together are a buck for ten of them.

No need to screw around finding or buying a laminator, no oddball sizes, other than a single slice and dice on the paper cutter at home if i modify it.

I’m on Revision 6 I think but that’s just me being anal about adding things that are truly useful.

I've always said I have zero use for an iWatch, or any kind of wearable technology device. And I'm perfectly fine using a printed checklist.

But I am curious if an iWatch/wearable would make for a convenient platform for showing and checking off checklist items, especially preflight items?

I've always said I have zero use for an iWatch, or any kind of wearable technology device. And I'm perfectly fine using a printed checklist.

But I am curious if an iWatch/wearable would make for a convenient platform for showing and checking off checklist items, especially preflight items?

Right up until you forget to charge it. Hahaha.

My standard backhanded compliment.

I'm not a fan of electronic checklists. It is one if the few things for which I think paper is more convenient and more efficient. That's strictly personal. I know others who love and use them.

That said, MiraCheck is by far the very best I've seen of the genre. It allows a large amount of customization and the iOS version is designed to take advantage of split screening, so it doesn't supplant what you are already looking at. That's even without the pro version which reads the checklist and allows voice confirmation.

I keep the free version as a backup.
DF14C790-BB47-47F3-92B9-C2BDFBFFB8FE.png

Last edited:
Never found one that wasn’t more annoying than paper in plastic or laminated. Honestly. I’m a tech nerd but electronic checklist apps drive me nuts.

I have a couple of young students who use their iPad w/ checklist. I don't care as long as they use a checklist. But, I've noticed it's slower, and IMO not nearly as efficient as a laminated checklist, such as @James331 posted above. Just my opinion, but like I said, as long as they're using something as a checklist I'm happy.

I tried the electronic checklists. Both the Checkmate app and ForeFlight's Checklist. I found laminated paper to be the most efficient method.

Laminated one is the best, paper works too, but when u accidentally pout coffee over it, it seems to be a problem. Ask me how I know it

Never found one that wasn’t more annoying than paper in plastic or laminated. Honestly. I’m a tech nerd but electronic checklist apps drive me nuts.
Ditto. I tried electronic and a laminated sheet is just faster/easier to work with.

Then give it a go. I think it'll depend on what your actual cockpit workflow turns into. You may find the FF version does everything you want in a way that fits your workflow. The list is easy to modify so you can add notes that help you and rearrange things if you want. Go for it.

I keep a pdf of the checklist I use in my documents tab in foreflight. That said it’s a backup, I like the laminated checkmate checklists.

Have a student who's using the checklist in Foreflight. Good Lord that takes forever.

Have a student who's using the checklist in Foreflight. Good Lord that takes forever.

It isn’t just ForeFlight, they all take forever.

And part of my checklist items for an IFR, especially IMC flight is to get all of the Nav stuff READY to go, including map up and set the way I want it for departure and flipping to the taxi diagram.

Doing the checklist ON the device I’m trying to put ON a specific map page and document page is just another way to utterly screw that up... for me anyway. And then you’re airborne climbing into a low overcast and transitioning to instruments, maybe the panel is set up right, but your eyes keep catching the stupid iPad that’s set up all wrong in your scan.

Nope. Paper checklist sits on my lap or the glare shield and stays at the page I left it on without having to dip around with waiting on my now oldish Mini 2 to freaking respond to touch inputs when it’s losing its mind already about dealing with either ForeFlight’s or Garmin’s bloat, and processing all of the stuff the panel is sending to it via the Flightstream.

I can transition myself into dumb cockpit mode with panel instruments only and paper checklist and forget all about the backup iPad until cruise where I have a minute to get it set right and back to doing something useful, and later on, get the approach plate I’m expecting up, etc.

The panel and the paper are always primary because they freaking work. The iPad sometimes goes out to lunch and can be ignored or tossed out a window for all I care, when workload gets high. It becomes a glorified approach plate reader at that point and that’s all it has to do.

Waiting on it to register a finger poke and a checkbox on a digital list, is annoying and useless.

Maybe if it had the voice command stuff that @flyingcheesehead rages about in his Garmin audio panel, I’d use that and even consider giving Apple more money for a processor upgrade to help it along, even though all of the newer iPad sizes absolutely suck for small cockpits.

I print my own checklists and put them in plastic sleeves. No batteries required. Don't need updates and don't break with upgrades. Easy to update as needed. Electronic checklists are a solution for a non-problem, and don't offer much value added over the original.

Interesting points on pro and con. But to answer the OP; FltPlan Go has a checklist function. You can either select a standard or roll your own with your PC on their website and then sync it to your handheld device. The checklist can be edited if necessary. You can also share your checklist with another user. You can skip around or take the lists in order.

PITA, as I don't use checklists as "do" lists; I don't carry it with me on the walk-around, I just "check" it after, see if I forgot anything. I like having my hands free on the walk around. I use it as a "do" list on engine start, and run-up, then don't bother with it again until I shut down. For a SEL, fixed gear airplane, a laminated list is fine.

PITA, as I don't use checklists as "do" lists; I don't carry it with me on the walk-around, I just "check" it after, see if I forgot anything. I like having my hands free on the walk around. I use it as a "do" list on engine start, and run-up, then don't bother with it again until I shut down. For a SEL, fixed gear airplane, a laminated list is fine.

Yup, flows followed up with a proper and matching checklist.

https://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/adegani/Cockpit Checklists.pdf

I did my printed one for the 182 that merge the factory POH with the Robertson addendum, the size of an approach chart.

Why? Because I’m lazy and cheap.

Plastic sleeves abound for approach charts and clip rings to hold it all together are a buck for ten of them.

No need to screw around finding or buying a laminator, no oddball sizes, other than a single slice and dice on the paper cutter at home if i modify it.

I’m on Revision 6 I think but that’s just me being anal about adding things that are truly useful.

I’ll one up the cheap factor. Printed sheet of paper with small index card lists. Two lists per side of card, startup, take off, climb/descent cruise, power setting, landing, shutdown
Used packing tape to do my own ghetto lamination. Old keychain ring to keep them together. I used to fumble with the old paper one we have in flight, drop it. The cards fit anywhere.

I’ll one up the cheap factor. Printed sheet of paper with small index card lists. Two lists per side of card, startup, take off, climb/descent cruise, power setting, landing, shutdown
Used packing tape to do my own ghetto lamination. Old keychain ring to keep them together. I used to fumble with the old paper one we have in flight, drop it. The cards fit anywhere.

I know I know. I’m old and got all fancy.

Mostly because I already had the approach plate sheet covers from the bad old days of paper charts piled high waiting to be stuffed into Jepp binders. :)

Must be three or four approach plate sized three ring notebooks around here I really have no use for, but keep in the pile of “aviation crap” in the office closet, too. A couple still have scribbles of paper of clearances given in simulator sessions in cantankerous old Franca simulators back in the 90s. LOL.

Can’t bring myself to throw them out. Never know when you might need a tiny three ring notebook again. Probably ... never. Heh.

Can’t bring myself to throw them out. Never know when you might need a tiny three ring notebook again. Probably ... never. Heh.
We should put our collections together. I have some in different colors and even one in leather from the old paper calendar/appointment book days.

We should put our collections together. I have some in different colors and even one in leather from the old paper calendar/appointment book days.

I’ve been thinking about going back into the Franklin Planner cult.

I use both. I have a laminated checkmate that I use most of the time. Occasionally my knee board is busy because I'm writing things down or trying to reference what I've written so I'll pull up the PDF version of the same checklist on my iPad (under documents in ForeFlight). I find this just as fast as it's the same checklist so I'm not wasting time trying to find things. I can also zoom in which makes it easier to see sometimes.

Back