Checking if A&P is still certificated

Jim Gosney

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jim G
How do you check for A&P and IA that their license is still valid?
The airmen's database at FAA appears to only include pilots.

The airman database includes mechanic certificate holders as well. It will not show currency however, just like the database does not display pilot currency.

A&P's cert does not expire....
I believe this is correct?
The inspection authorization does I think? My AP was telling me this past weekend that he had to go back to Baker's years ago to renew his IA since he was late in sending in his renewal. Does that sound right?

It does. If you search the airman registry, it looks like IA has date of issue, so add 2 years to that? At least that is how mine is presented. It's in the mechanic tab.

How do you check for A&P and IA that their license is still valid?
Use the Airmen Inquiry page. It will show the issue date of his mechanic certificate and ratings but as mentioned it does not expire. If they have an IA it will show the current issue date of it as well. However, regardless of the issue date there are recent experience requirements for the A&P per Part 65 to exercise their privileges and the IA expires every odd-numbered year.

Last edited:
I believe this is correct?
The inspection authorization does I think? My AP was telling me this past weekend that he had to go back to Baker's years ago to renew his IA since he was late in sending in his renewal. Does that sound right?
yup...you can look up the name in the database. It'll be there if they're an IA

§ 65.83 Recent experience requirements.
A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months—
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
(b) He has, for at least 6 months—
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

Last edited:
You know they are not current if the entry is for a “Periodic Inspection”!

“ Rest of the story” ?

Currency is self- enforced and not too many A & P’s keep a log.

IA’s must keep a record of Annuals & Major Repairs & Alterations inspected .

It is one of the ways to to renew.

The Fed-guys sometimes verify this.

I finished one Annual and then they changed N number.

Obviously my record was of the old number

Last edited:
The FAA site is somewhat limited. For me it doesn't tell when I got my pilot's license, only when I replaced the paper one with the plastic one.

The FAA site is somewhat limited. For me it doesn't tell when I got my pilot's license, only when I replaced the paper one with the plastic one.
I ran into the same problem. Got the ppl in 2000 but the replacement (case got stolen, fortunately I keep most other stuff in a diff bag) so the replacement says 2005.

FYI: The reason the airmen database only shows the issue date of a certificate is that it must align with the date when the current Administrator signed that specific certificate copy. If you want a record of when you first received your certificate, you can request a certified copy of your complete airmen records which will show that date and I believe all subsequent issue dates.

Pay attention to the “mechanic” tab in the airmen page. Some people miss it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back