Checking Home for Mold

About 10 years ago, I did quite a bit of research on mold. We had an addition done to our home several years earlier and I had just found the attic to have quite a lot of it on the roof sheathing. It wasn't black (or Stachybotrys) and nobody was sick in our household. I found that when the addition was done the insulation was placed in such a way that all the soffit vents were covered. So, I corrected that and killed all the mold with bleach (as recommended on the CDC website) and it's never come back. I found that mold remediation companies say bleach won't kill mold, that is a lie. Mold spores are practically everywhere, just waiting for conditions they grow in.

Last edited:
Say, aren't you in Kansas?

There's your problem!

Seriously, my wife would have allergic reactions and get well just to have something else set her off. What are the local farmers doing? Are they burning or is it time to break up the soil before planting?

brian];2019512 said:
Seriously, my wife would have allergic reactions and get well just to have something else set her off. What are the local farmers doing? Are they burning or is it time to break up the soil before planting?

Well, seeing as this has been going on since Thanksgiving, my guess is they've been doing a lot of different things. But I ain't a farmer.

Isn't there an ancient Indian burial groun...

Never mind. You're fine, just a lingering cold.

Well, seeing as this has been going on since Thanksgiving, my guess is they've been doing a lot of different things. But I ain't a farmer.

Hard to tell. We raised maze (milo) and it seemed all winter long we were doing something to prepare for planing season. But that was a couple of lifetimes ago and I'm not sure I remember enough- other than the air occasionally being full of dust, ash (from burning ) or plant matter of some kind.

If it is mold....or some other kind of allergen...Benadryl should take care of the symptoms.

Try that for relief...that could answer some questions.

When we grew up, energy was cheap, houses leaked like sieves. Now they are nearly leakproof. Between the kids and associates at work, germs are everywhere. My guess is a humidifier upstairs at bedtime, with a relative humidity of about 30% would help. Or you could do a saline nasal spray 3 times a day.
Leaving a window open at night and a lower nightie temp wouldn't be bad either.

What you need is 2 weeks in the sunny south, even by the ocean.
Warm you up and get you better.
I felt like crap most of the winter, now that it's 70F in the day I am feelin' grand!

Back