Check-ride Scheduled

Yukon Paul

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Yukon Paul
Good morning all,
Been lurking for 6 months and finally signed up today as I have a question and appreciate the answers this group seems willing to answer regularly.

I started training about 6 months ago and then purchased a Piper Warrior that I have been training in since. Here in central California, we had a 6 week stretch where flying was nearly impossible due to weather, rain and fog. Don’t want that to happen again. Anyway, I am within striking distance of a check ride and anticipate doing it on March 1st. With that said, I have 11 lessons planned and over 26 hours of flight instruction between now and then. My question, I am using the Kings Check ride prep videos to study for my knowledge piece which I am dedicating 90 minutes a day to for study purposes. Is there any other web-based program anyone would suggest to aid in my 4 week crash training? I would love some testing opportunities of some type. I have gone back through my Gold Seal Ground School and reviewed topics a struggle with and retaken those tests/quizzes. Any other tips.

I appreciate the input.

Paul

Sporty's and checkride prep. I also searched checkride oral videos on utube and noted that they all had the same feel

Learn the test,
It is published in the ACS... learn how to read it.
For a really Good Checkride, For the most part the Examiner should be able to sit down and say "Go" and you start with task A and start talking about all the knowledge topics and then Demonstrate the Skills part.

So when the examiner asks you about "PA.I.A.K1 Certification requirements, recent flight experience, and recordkeeping. " What are you going to tell him?

Then he is going to ask you about "PA.I.A.K2 Privileges and limitations. "...

The Scenario for a lot of the tasks is a Cross country to somewhere, your instructor can probably tell you typical destinations for your area.

When you get to the navigation/flight planning part, learn how to fill out a paper navigation log, not just copy the numbers from foreflight. One examiner I know likes to say ok plan a flight from KBOI to KSEA, use the forecast conditions but change the winds 240@22kts.

Good luck figuring that out foreflight.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Here is the full Task A text...

Preflight Preparation Task A.
Pilot Qualifications References 14 CFR parts 61, 68, 91; FAA-H-8083-2, FAA-H-8083-25; AC 68-1

Objective To determine that the applicant exhibits satisfactory knowledge, risk management, and skills associated with airman and medical certificates including privileges, limitations, currency, and operating as pilot-in-command (PIC) as a private pilot.

Knowledge The applicant demonstrates understanding of:
PA.I.A.K1 Certification requirements, recent flight experience, and recordkeeping.
PA.I.A.K2 Privileges and limitations.
PA.I.A.K3 Medical certificates: class, expiration, privileges, temporary disqualifications.
PA.I.A.K4 Documents required to exercise private pilot privileges.
PA.I.A.K5 Part 68 BasicMed privileges and limitations. Risk Management The applicant demonstrates the ability to identify, assess and mitigate risks, encompassing:
PA.I.A.R1 Failure to distinguish proficiency versus currency.
PA.I.A.R2 Flying unfamiliar airplanes, or operating with unfamiliar flight display systems, and avionics.

Skills The applicant demonstrates the ability to:

PA.I.A.S1 Apply requirements to act as PIC under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) in a scenario given by the evaluator.

It's pretty ambitious to try to get the checkride on March 1st. Especially if you have not done the knowledge exam yet. Unless there is a reason for your deadline, I'd recommend taking the pressure off by not scheduling the checkride until your CFI says it's time.

PPL?

Get the written done and if you are flying ok start to do more night flying and instrument training (simulated or actual with an instructor). There’s usually a waiting period between when you’re ready and your checkride, you want to keep flying to keep your experience up. When I was waiting I flew different airplanes and got my complex endorsement as well. Do what interest you as long as you keep on flying and don’t rush it, that’s when things won’t turn out the way you want them too. Checkrides get reschedule all of the time due to examiner schedule, plane availability, weather, maintenance, etc. Take your time but keep on learning.

It's pretty ambitious to try to get the checkride on March 1st. Especially if you have not done the knowledge exam yet. Unless there is a reason for your deadline, I'd recommend taking the pressure off by not scheduling the checkride until your CFI says it's time.
I apologize as I didn’t provide that info. I have 40 hours including 6 solo and one of my solo cross countries. I’m within striking distance I think.

PPL?

Get the written done and if you are flying ok start to do more night flying and instrument training (simulated or actual with an instructor). There’s usually a waiting period between when you’re ready and your checkride, you want to keep flying to keep your experience up. When I was waiting I flew different airplanes and got my complex endorsement as well. Do what interest you as long as you keep on flying and don’t rush it, that’s when things won’t turn out the way you want them too. Checkrides get reschedule all of the time due to examiner schedule, plane availability, weather, maintenance, etc. Take your time but keep on learning.

Yes, PPL. As I mentioned above, I am past written and have 40+ hours including 6 solo and my first short cross country. I have a date for a check ride if I am ready on the 1st of March.

I apologize as I didn’t provide that info. I have 40 hours including 6 solo and one of my solo cross countries. I’m within striking distance I think.

You think, but what does your CFI say?

1) Get the latest copy of the FAR/AIM and put lots of highlighting, post it tabs, etc.
2) Get the Blue Book. Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide by Michael Hayes

https://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilot-Oral-Exam-Guide/dp/1644250152/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ME0G45V3YMWY&keywords=private+pilot+oral+exam+guide+2023&qid=1675543342&sprefix=Private+Pilot+Oral+,aps,83&sr=8-1

I know you asked for Web based, but these two sources - although "Amish" / paper - are extremely good. I also got the King's video on check ride prep, but found it not to be very helpful.

Good morning all,
Been lurking for 6 months and finally signed up today as I have a question and appreciate the answers this group seems willing to answer regularly.

I started training about 6 months ago and then purchased a Piper Warrior that I have been training in since. Here in central California, we had a 6 week stretch where flying was nearly impossible due to weather, rain and fog. Don’t want that to happen again. Anyway, I am within striking distance of a check ride and anticipate doing it on March 1st. With that said, I have 11 lessons planned and over 26 hours of flight instruction between now and then. My question, I am using the Kings Check ride prep videos to study for my knowledge piece which I am dedicating 90 minutes a day to for study purposes. Is there any other web-based program anyone would suggest to aid in my 4 week crash training? I would love some testing opportunities of some type. I have gone back through my Gold Seal Ground School and reviewed topics a struggle with and retaken those tests/quizzes. Any other tips.

I appreciate the input.

Paul

The knowledge portion of the private is not that tough. Your King materials are enough.

Have you taken the faa written knowledge exam yet? Is that what you mean by “my knowledge piece”?

Or are you referring to the oral part of the check ride?

You think, but what does your CFI say?
He is more confident I will be ready than I am. I just want to dot all my I’s and cross all my T’s. I want to be beyond ready and am looking to use all the tools available to me especially in my non flying “Knowledge” preparation.

Have you taken the faa written knowledge exam yet? Is that what you mean by “my knowledge piece”?

Or are you referring to the oral part of the check ride?

Yes, the oral part of the Checkride. Trying to spend at least 90 minutes a day working on that knowledge between now and Checkride day.

Got it! In that case stop going over the written test prep and switch to the materials I suggested. My humble opinion of course.

Do mock oral exams with your CFI. It’s an open book test. Have your notes, books, cheat sheets all ready. I also had a small foam airplane with me so I could point to the different parts of the airplane, what they were, how they worked, etc.

Contact people who took their checkride with your DPE. Each are a bit different on what they look for.

Get the DPE’s cross country task as soon as you can to plot it out.

It's not web-based, but the thing that helped me most was going through the ACS and trying to answer every line item. I printed up a copy and wrote in it. It helped me see what I needed to study and what I had down cold, and after I got done writing in it, it was like a study guide that I could just read. I also used the ASA Private Pilot prep book, and tried to answer each question without reading the answers. Every part I stumbled on, I re-studied.

Seems to me you need to get your times qualified. You need at least 20 hours solo.

I thought it was at least 10 hours solo, with at least 5 being solo x country. With one solo X country 150 miles.

I thought it was at least 10 hours solo, with at least 5 being solo x country. With one solo X country 150 miles.

It is:

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least -

(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

1) Get the latest copy of the FAR/AIM and put lots of highlighting, post it tabs, etc.
2) Get the Blue Book. Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide by Michael Hayes

https://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilot-Oral-Exam-Guide/dp/1644250152/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ME0G45V3YMWY&keywords=private+pilot+oral+exam+guide+2023&qid=1675543342&sprefix=Private+Pilot+Oral+,aps,83&sr=8-1

I know you asked for Web based, but these two sources - although "Amish" / paper - are extremely good. I also got the King's video on check ride prep, but found it not to be very helpful.

^^^^^^^This plus 100000000

After you are done with your studying go through that book and the mock oral exams on youtube.

That clip is old but a golden nugget. I watched that probably 27 times.

Back