Check ride scheduled. Next Saturday

Meanee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Meanee
So, it is happening. Spoke to DPE, he gave me date and time, XC target, and his weight. Asked the type we will be flying.

My CFI told me to get start on IACRA, but not to complete it yet. I am meeting with CFI on Wednesday to get my last 0.4 of dual (the 90 day rule).

XC is pretty far, about 220nm. And DPE dislikes people using VOR during that part. Guess I will plan for a number of checkpoints nearby, since this DPE diverts on 1st or 2nd.

The ride is at 2pm. I am thinking of getting a plane for an hour around 10am just to run through PTS maneuvers again.

Whew.. After close to a year actively flying and almost 9 years since my 1st flight, it is finally happening.

Relax. The examiner is not there to fail you. I made a couple of bonehead mistakes on my oral part that I thought for sure would fail me. He resonded by saying that I was doing "very well".:rolleyes:

Relax and you will do fine.

:yeahthat:

Also, key thing for me was this. Don't ask "was that OK?" about a maneuver you thought was shoddy. If your DPE doesn't like it, he will tell you. I botched my diversion (well, not totally. I went the right way and found the airport, but was looking in the wrong direction for it and just happened to spot it out the side window), but he didn't say anything about it. We kept going with the ride and all was hunky dory.

Most importantly, though, have fun! Even though the examiner is not allowed to teach you anything on your ride, you most certainly will learn something.

I think I read the Checkride Advice thread enough times to recite it in my sleep. Also apparently, my DPE is a very nice guy. I was told he's heavy into performance takeoffs/landings, not big on weather, and will handle radios once he sees that I know what I am doing.

The XC part is worrying me. It's 200+ nm, in a direction I never flown yet. Never seen those landmarks, etc. I am sure that he will divert me on 1st checkpoint, but still, need to plan for the entire thing.

I am actually still at my practice airport. Did a number of things, like engine out procedures, soft field with obstacle, short field landings, and really nailed all of them. Hoping this luck will remain.

DPE knows my CFI really well and told me that I will do fine, based on past experience with CFI. DPE also invited me to a spot landing challenge and WINGS seminar already.

So yea, I am worried. I've done entire PTS (other than instrument portion) solo about 5 times so far. And more with CFI. I sat 2 hours in a plane today developing muscle memory for emergency procedures. And 2 of my landings today actually made me think I did not even touch the ground yet, were that smooth. Let's hope on Saturday, I will be able to do the same.

Good luck to you. As others have said it's not as bad as you may think it will be. Know your airplane that you are taking the test in(v-speeds, engine and systems.) Those areas were really key in my checkride.

Just think, this time next week you will be able to take friends and family up for fun!

Regarding the checkride, there's nothing saying you you can't get signed off to fly the first 30 minutes of it beforehand and get familiar with the terrain. Ask your instructor.

Regarding the checkride, there's nothing saying you you can't get signed off to fly the first 30 minutes of it beforehand and get familiar with the terrain. Ask your instructor.

Do that.

Good luck!

That is actually an amazing idea!

Now I also need to get a sectional that covers Pittsburgh, and in 2-3 days max... sigh... Why did he have to have my XC there...

The XC part is worrying me. It's 200+ nm, in a direction I never flown yet. Never seen those landmarks, etc. I am sure that he will divert me on 1st checkpoint, but still, need to plan for the entire thing.

So go fly the first part of the route by yourself a few days before the checkride. That's what I did, as mine was from an airport I hadn't been to very often, in a direction I had not flown previously. The preparation was a big help in relaxing my nerves.

Of course, as you know, you won't need to fly it beyond the first or second checkpoint.

So go fly the first part of the route by yourself a few days before the checkride. That's what I did, as mine was from an airport I hadn't been to very often, in a direction I had not flown previously. The preparation was a big help in relaxing my nerves.

Of course, as you know, you won't need to fly it beyond the first or second checkpoint.

Yes, I am aware of that and that's why I am planning first 2 checkpoints not far from the starting point. And the idea to fly it alone was mentioned before, and is amazing one too. Since I am on a 50nm "leash" now, I will make the best of it and try it in the morning before the checkride.

That is actually an amazing idea!

Now I also need to get a sectional that covers Pittsburgh, and in 2-3 days max... sigh... Why did he have to have my XC there...

Take a look at skyvector.com....Print out the the area you need to review. Obviously, I wouldn't use it for scaling distances, but at least you'll be able to see the terrain.

Both the Detroit sectional and the Pittsburgh TAC have new maps starting April 5th. If you order a new one (overnighted??), make sure you get the new one. You'll be into the new one by the time you take your checkride.

If you're close enough, you can borrow mine. They should arrive today. Let me know where you're at.

Scott

Take a look at skyvector.com....Print out the the area you need to review. Obviously, I wouldn't use it for scaling distances, but at least you'll be able to see the terrain.

Both the Detroit sectional and the Pittsburgh TAC have new maps starting April 5th. If you order a new one (overnighted??), make sure you get the new one. You'll be into the new one by the time you take your checkride.

If you're close enough, you can borrow mine. They should arrive today. Let me know where you're at.

Scott

I am in Brooklyn, NY... And checkride is in Allentown...

Wonder if I can show up with expired Detroit sectional just to show him flight planning and tell him that if we do actually end up going that far (highly unlikely), I can always use ForeFlight for that.

Wonder if I can show up with expired Detroit sectional just to show him flight planning and tell him that if we do actually end up going that far (highly unlikely), I can always use ForeFlight for that.

Do this not! :wink2:

Be as certain as you can that everything is up to date.

I am in Brooklyn, NY... And checkride is in Allentown...

I think I would have a current one overnighted just to be sure. And if your flight is planned near or through Philly area, maybe get the TAC as well. Sure, it's an expense, but a one time expense.

Good luck!

I took my PP check ride many moons ago. I had to complete cross country flight in order to take check ride, but no mention of cross country was attributed to the check ride. Is this now part of the check ride?

About the only thing I remember was the examiner having me do a steep turn and while I was concentrating on this, he turned off the gas to see what I would do. I turned it back on and had me do another steep turn to the other direction. I glanced down and saw he was turning off the gas and I slapped his hand. I passed.

I took my PP check ride many moons ago. I had to complete cross country flight in order to take check ride, but no mention of cross country was attributed to the check ride. Is this now part of the check ride?
Yes... at least the initial part. Prior to the checkride, the DPE will typically give the student the task of planning for a x-c from where the exam is being given to a different airport. Mine was from Danbury CT to Providence RI. He reviews your planning, asks questions about the weather and your go-no go decision, airspace questions, etc. When you get to the plane, once in the air, you start out on that planned route. A few checkpoints along the way let you demonstrate winds aloft calculations etc and any corrections to course and eta. This is soon followed by the diversion. Uh oh, there appears to be a massive thunderstorm between us and PVD, divert to Corndog Muni. and on it goes...

-Skip

I think I would have a current one overnighted just to be sure. And if your flight is planned near or through Philly area, maybe get the TAC as well. Sure, it's an expense, but a one time expense.

Good luck!

$46 later... Also ordered AIM 2012, had 2011 only.

There's no need for Philly chart, I will be staying to the north of the area anyway. I was thinking of getting Puttsburgh TAC, but I guess Sectional will work fine.

Good! Although an outdated chart might not be a problem, there's no future in having this on your mind while you're trying to put your best foot forward.

Relax and enjoy the experience. I would be willing to be that once it is over you will be saying "that wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be."

Good luck and make us all proud!

$46 later... Also ordered AIM 2012, had 2011 only.

There's no need for Philly chart, I will be staying to the north of the area anyway. I was thinking of getting Puttsburgh TAC, but I guess Sectional will work fine.

Pittsburgh TAC?? Where is your x-c planned to?

Ditto the "relax" advice. What's being tested on the check ride is your PIC-ness, more than anything. Not mere confidence, either, although you should be confident (so relax!). It's like the CFI ride in that regard: CFI candidates have to show they can teach; PPs have to show they can command.
So if your maneuvers are not the cleanest, or if you make a couple of errors, as long as you seem aware of it and do not let it develop into a problem, things like that should not be a big factor. You might want to think aloud, too- talk about what you are doing and why (including acknowledging errors).

Don't get hung up on little details- mind the Big Picture, and show you have it all in focus, and you will probably find it to be a pleasant flight.

If you can't get a flight in along that route before your checkride, one thing you can do is "fly" that route in Google Earth. You can zoom down to the same altitutde you'll be flying at and get at least a rough idea of what things are going to look like. Of course it's 2D but from altitude it's not a bad representation. You can practice diverting at random points and finding your alternate airport.

So, it is happening. Spoke to DPE, he gave me date and time, XC target, and his weight. Asked the type we will be flying.

My CFI told me to get start on IACRA, but not to complete it yet. I am meeting with CFI on Wednesday to get my last 0.4 of dual (the 90 day rule).

XC is pretty far, about 220nm. And DPE dislikes people using VOR during that part. Guess I will plan for a number of checkpoints nearby, since this DPE diverts on 1st or 2nd.

The ride is at 2pm. I am thinking of getting a plane for an hour around 10am just to run through PTS maneuvers again.

Whew.. After close to a year actively flying and almost 9 years since my 1st flight, it is finally happening.

You will do great. Post back here after it is all over and you have that little white temporary piece of paper! My XC was so far away I had to buy another sectional (300 nm). It was just for "practice" and he diverted me after my first waypoint.

I am aware of diversions and planned convenient checkpoints. One over 3 towns which are very visible, and next one over a bridge and a dam. And both places have nearby airports, which would probably be where he will divert me to. So idea is to get the data on those fields perfect. I did a rough plan on skyvector, and guess I will fly the entire route in FSX just in case.

One little tip just as a reminder. When he put you under the hood/foggles and give you a turn, make sure you ask him/her to clear left/right before you turn. My DPE was impressed with that:wink2:

Last edited:
Relax and handle the situation. If you are confident in your IFR training, it won't matter which direction you fly. Just lay it out, program the GPS and follow your normal routine.

I am sure you will do okay. The examiner is there to make sure your training was okay. My examiner went out of his way to show me how to do things better and easier.

Terry

...both places have nearby airports, which would probably be where he will divert me to. So idea is to get the data on those fields perfect.

If he's anything like my DPE, he won't tell you where to divert to. Mine just "got sick" all of a sudden and said that he needed to get on the ground ASAP. He didn't care what airport. From the get-go, he was nothing more than a passenger, and I wouldn't expect a passenger to tell me what airport to divert to.

Just so you're ready for anything :)

If he's anything like my DPE, he won't tell you where to divert to. Mine just "got sick" all of a sudden and said that he needed to get on the ground ASAP. He didn't care what airport. From the get-go, he was nothing more than a passenger, and I wouldn't expect a passenger to tell me what airport to divert to.

Just so you're ready for anything :)

LOL thanks for the tip. I was thinking he will take me to those fields for landings and so on. But for engine failure, I would expect a field or a road.

LOL thanks for the tip. I was thinking he will take me to those fields for landings and so on. But for engine failure, I would expect a field or a road.

Oh yeah, he was a passenger who liked to pull the power. I wanted to confirm that he wanted to see one turn around a point, and he said to me, "One? Nope, I want to see two. I'm surprised! From what I've seen I thought you read the PTS all the way through!" Right as we finished the first turn, my engine "quit." Pretty dirty trick if you ask me. He then proceeded tried to be a passenger and make me switch fields. "Are you sure we can make this one?" etc. This after my engine already quit on me once high over my diversion airport and I executed a perfect forced landing there, including the massive forward slip that he wanted to see.

So moral of the story: I don't know your examiner, but definitely be on your toes, because he wants to make sure you know your stuff and that you can command the airplane, as someone said earlier.

Most importantly, though, there's absolutely nothing that he's going to do or can legally test you on that you haven't practiced. You'll do fine!

Back