Check ride and basic med?

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
So I finally got my SI recently and I am in midst of IFR training. My goal is to complete check ride be end of year. My question is whether my change to basic med - which I understand results is suspension of my 3rd class SI issuance - is an issue for the examiner when I set up check ride? Has anyone dealt with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which I understand results is suspension of my 3rd class SI issuance - is an issue for the examiner when I set up check ride?
As long as it’s valid, than there isn’t an issue.

What makes you think that getting a Basic Med results in suspension of SI? My AME issued my third-class and Basic Med this July so I know it isn’t an issue with regular medicals. I haven’t heard anything about it suspending a SI so I wonder where you heard that.

What makes you think that getting a Basic Med results in suspension of SI? My AME issued my third-class and Basic Med this July so I know it isn’t an issue with regular medicals. I haven’t heard anything about it suspending a SI so I wonder where you heard that.

Because the SI requires 6 month follow up and submissions. If you don't comply with those requirements the 3rd class is suspended. Because of that you can qualify for basic med.

So if I understand you correctly, your SI is current and will be suspended if you don’t do the 6 month follow-up?

The AMEs on this board can correct me, but as I read AC 68-1A, unless you develop a new issue that requires a Special Issuance (listed in Chapter 8), and you get your Basic Med before your SI expires, you are good. The FAA also has FAQs that basically make the same points as the AC.

4.3 Medical Certificate Issued by the FAA.

4.3.1 General Requirements. In accordance with § 61.23(c)(3)(i)(B), persons operating under BasicMed must hold or have held a valid medical certificate issued under part 67 at any point after July 14, 2006. This medical may have been a first, second, or third-class medical certificate, including any FAA medical certificate issued under an authorization for special issuance (“special issuance medical certificate”).

4.3.1.2 A person should use the expiration date of his or her most recent medical certificate to determine whether it meets the after July 14, 2006 requirement. Special issuance medical certificates are always time-limited and will explicitly state the date when the certificate expires or is no longer valid. Therefore, any special issuance medical certificate with an expiration date after July 14, 2006 would meet the 10-year period preceding the date of enactment of FESSA.

Back to your original question, as long as your plane satisfies the requirements of Basic Med, you can act as PIC so whether you have a 3rd class or Basic Med doesn’t matter for the test.

I did my PPL under basic med, no questions asked other than the paperwork to verify that I actually did the basic med

Thanks for the response. I realize I had a fundamental misunderstanding of the process from SI to basic med.

Back