"Check Gear Down"

If you check in on frequency "down and locked" along with your call sign, it sometimes forestalls the reminder.

Correct and in most cases with military pilots they initiate it. Such as tower ops:

"base with the gear / three down and locked / three in the green."

Or for GCA:

"Loud & clear, wheels down & locked."

During my instrument check ride the examiner had a pretty good chuckle when I did a full GUMPS check when needed even though I did my check ride in a AA5B Tiger.

What he didnt know was that I was also putting in regular hours in a complex airplane at the same time, so I would just confirm Gear down and locked, no 3 green but still welded.

Some of us only have one (1) green light. Don't think it's possible for a Mooney to drop just two wheels, it's one motor and a solid linkage to all three.

Flying into KJST today in the club 152, controller tells me "Check gear down". Turns out I forgot to retract them after takeoff! :eek: I had a pretty good chuckle at that one.

Where is your club based out of? If I remember correctly, you did your training at KAGC. I'm out of KLBE although I haven't been flying much. Wx, life and work have been getting in the way.

Where is your club based out of? If I remember correctly, you did your training at KAGC. I'm out of KLBE although I haven't been flying much. Wx, life and work have been getting in the way.

Yeah, I finished my training at KAGC in April. Now, I fly out of Condor Aero in Zelie. I looked into joining at KLBE, but the fact that you guys only have 2 planes (one of which is a complex), higher rates, and a longer drive made Condor more practical.
Maybe if there's enough interest, we could do a PA/OH POA get-together sometime in the spring.

Yeah, I finished my training at KAGC in April. Now, I fly out of Condor Aero in Zelie. I looked into joining at KLBE, but the fact that you guys only have 2 planes (one of which is a complex), higher rates, and a longer drive made Condor more practical.
Maybe if there's enough interest, we could do a PA/OH POA get-together sometime in the spring.

I'm in a flight club too. We have a 1968 172I that I really enjoy flying. Our hangar is at the 21 end of the airport next to the museum.

The flight school has been expanding since then. They now have a Cherokee 140, two Warriors, an Arrow and they are considering putting one of the two Bonanzas out to rent. Also, they are moving to a bigger hangar in the spring.

As for a local fly-in, KIDI does one every month during the summer. It usually has a pretty good turnout. I've seen planes there from VA, MD, OH and PA.

I'm in a flight club too. We have a 1968 172I that I really enjoy flying. Our hangar is at the 21 end of the airport next to the museum.

The flight school has been expanding since then. They now have a Cherokee 140, two Warriors, an Arrow and they are considering putting one of the two Bonanzas out to rent. Also, they are moving to a bigger hangar in the spring.

As for a local fly-in, KIDI does one every month during the summer. It usually has a pretty good turnout. I've seen planes there from VA, MD, OH and PA.

I thought the club at LBE only had an arrow and an archer. Maybe I'm mistaken though. The club really is a great way to get cheap flight time and to get plugged into the flying community. Unfortunately, I'm not around all summer, but for local fly-ins I'm going to try to get involved with my local EAA chapter for some of the Young Eagles events, and I hear they have some good chili cook offs as well (KBTP).

For all the Down and Welded comments -- Those of us flying the mighty 172 is should be down and Bolted ... and riveted.. :goofy:

Hmm. Interesting; didn't know they had to do that for non military aircraft. Is there any reason they do this in the military and not the civilian side? Also is it mandatory for the calling aircraft to confirm?

Well how do dumb rules usually start ... ?

Never got a check gear down at an Army Airfield but standard for Navy and Air force operations even for rotor wing over the 24 years of Military flying...at least that's how I remember it...

I get a "check gear down" from the tower at KVUJ every time. (even in a 152) Now reading this thread, it makes sense. Lots of Air National Guard traffic there.

I think its a good idea.

Never got a check gear down at an Army Airfield but standard for Navy and Air force operations even for rotor wing over the 24 years of Military flying...at least that's how I remember it...

Army stills falls under a requirement to issue it. Must have had smart controllers who knew better.

For helos we used a ditty for a retract reminder. Twos, threes and fifty threes. Once 65s came out that screwed the ditty all up.

Back