Check freq.

austinglasair

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rail
I can't let this one go..

What: Doing a maintenance test flight on one of the aircraft in my unit with pressurization issues. We took off and climbed to 16k' initially followed by 20k after a few checks.
Where: Korea
Who: A C-130 pilot, Incheon center, and my crew (I won't reveal so easily what I was flying :)
Just monitoring the frequency along my route I hear a US Air Force C-130 checking in.

Incheon Center: "xx23 say time of arrival at Osan"
C-130: "0055 zulu Sir,"
Center: "Unable to proceed, hold at MAKSA on 090 radial. Twenty mile leg."
C-130: "Sir, is there is a reason why we cannot proceed to Osan?"
Center: "Due to TPA (temporary prohibited area) ending 0053z"
C-130: "Sir, that was not published anywhere, can I proceed to Osan and hold"
Center: "I do not understand your question. Hold at MAKSA on 090 radial. Twenty mile legs."

I understand this Air Force pilot's frustration so I politely ask center to borrow the freq: "xx23.. come up fingers"

(tunes 123.45)

Me: "Hey, we didn't know about this TPA either, it wasn't published on the NOTAMS or AIRADS. Our operations also wasn't tracking the closure. We look like we'll be holding too"

C-130 pilot: "We weren't tracking it either, this guy is making me hold on the other side of the country. We have no idea what's going on with this."

Me: "Welcome to Korea.. the struggle is real brother."

I felt like we had a moment with my fellow US pilot as we were both in similar circumstances and struggles that we face flying overseas.

(Incheon center chimes in)

Incheon: "xxx 23 I said hold on 090 radial inbound. Right turn! Right turn. I say right turn!"
C-130: "Sir.. we're turning right.. you said 090 inbound and now we're turning right to 270 outbound. I don't understand." the C-130 was actually correct. I was actually watching him on TCAS as he was stacked below me.

OOoook this is where it gets interesting:

The C-130 pilot mistakenly left his radio selector up with Incheon center thinking he had swapped to the protection and "privacy" of talking to me on fingers. He was wrong.... What's next will shock you. :yikes:

(C-130 pilot transmitting on Incheon Center)

"This idiot is really starting to pi$$ me off! He issued me some ridiculous holding procedure that I'm executing and still doesn't like it? Go back to school." (add two expletives that I will omit).

My copilot and I looked at each other in disbelief as we had realized what he had done before he did. He transmitted to Incheon and not to us that is.

(Me on fingers to C-130 pilot)

"I think you said that on the wrong frequency.. we tried our best to block your transmission but a few things still got out."

(20 solid seconds of silence on the radio)

Incheon center: "xxx 23 YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME?"

C-130 pilot: "No Sir, we'll continue to hold. There's no problem."

:rofl:

Was that shoe he began to Chew on real leather or some of that new synthetic nomex type stuff? In any case, did yo ask what it tasted like?

Theres a old joke among controllers about remembering to let go of the PTT before spouting off about a pilot...

Its just as good a joke in reverse.

This happened on Wednesday. Thursday morning I was flying a different route and heard the same call sign and voice checking in with Incheon control. Quite amused by the day prior's events and wanting to give him some pilot to pilot love, I asked him to come up fingers again through Incheon Center's frequency.

He never replied!

A long time ago, we were flying a KC-135 somewhere over the midwest US, doing some air refueling practice with a C-141. The 141 was all over the place pressing close to every limit in the envelope.

Our Boom Operator had his hands full with this guy, and attempted to tell us how this guy was doing over our plane's interphone system, but instead transmits over the UHF air refueling frequency, "These guys SUCK!"

With the quickest thinking I've ever seen in an airplane, my co-pilot then transmits over the air to the receiver, "Did you guys just say we suck?" The now confused 141 guys replied "No... we thought you guys said that to us." My copilot told them that it wasn't us and that we still suspected them of making the transmission.

Poor receiver guys went home confused and probably worried that we were going to report them for their "indiscretion" on the radio.

"The best defense is a good offense..."

Theres a old joke among controllers about remembering to let go of the PTT before spouting off about a pilot...

Its just as good a joke in reverse.

Years ago when position relief briefings first started being recorded there were some good ones that got out over the air when the controller inadvertently keyed up the mic to do it.

Years ago flying over Va on an IFR flight. Pilot calls up center asking for flight following. Controller asks the usual, type aircraft etc. Pilot provides this. Controller then says, "say type equipment". Pilot responds, "King". Silence from the controller but I think I could hear him laughing, I know I was. True story.

Years ago flying over Va on an IFR flight. Pilot calls up center asking for flight following. Controller asks the usual, type aircraft etc. Pilot provides this. Controller then says, "say type equipment". Pilot responds, "King". Silence from the controller but I think I could hear him laughing, I know I was. True story.

Thankfully the panel was all one brand. "well, comm one is a king, comm two is a Collins.......................................

Back