Cheapest IFR GPS setup (Feb 2010)

I suppose Garmin could fix all this by providing Satellite download or -- better yet -- USB data load (instead of these ridiculously expensive, single use "chips")
Huh? Single use chips?

Not sure what you might be thinking, but rest assured the chips in the Garmin units that hold the data bases are NOT single use. They are reprogrammable. With a small adapter you can reprogram them with the USB port of your laptop too.

Last edited:
Huh? Single use chips chips?

Not sure what you might be thinking, but rest assured the chips in the Garmin units that hold the data bases are NOT single use. They are reprogrammable. With a small adapter you can reprogram them with the USB port of your laptop too.

I believe Mr. McCormack meant, "single purpose" when he wrote "single use," but I could be mistaken.

Huh? Single use chips chips?

Maybe the single use chips he's typing about are Pringles or Doritos. Didn't know Garmin put'em in the 430 though...

Maybe the single use chips he's typing about are Pringles or Doritos. Didn't know Garmin put'em in the 430 though...

If you did you should log it as maintenance.

If it's like the last three times I've written the Chief Counsel, I expect them to do nothing. I've been waiting over 3 years for regulation interpretations. I think I'm quite safe.
Then try it. We'll be waiting, and I don't think it will take 3 years to get a response. I'd guess you'll have a certified letter in your mailbox before you know it.

You should read the new IR PTS. The installed GPS must be disabled and logged as such by an authorized repairman, not just stickered and logged "inop" by the owner. Then, after the ride, you'll need to go back to the shop to get that all undone. If you are so anxious to avoid getting a current database that you want to go through all that, mighty fine, but it's gonna cost you -- maybe more than it costs to update the database.

Yes, I read the current PTS. It states on page 15 "NOTE: If any avionics/navigation unit, including GPS, in the aircraft used for the practical test is placarded inoperative, the examiner will review the maintenance log to verify that the discrepancy has been properly documented."

As far as the comment "If you are so anxious to avoid getting a current database that you want to go through all that," there may be times when someone may have not received their update before a scheduled checkride. In an instance such as that it wouldn't be all that difficult to have a log book entry made so the checkride may be completed.

mighty fine, but it's gonna cost you -- maybe more than it costs to update the database.

Some of us actually hold A&P certificates. :rolleyes:

This is what I have decided to do: comments are welcome, of course. I went into the Jepp services database, posted my download history logs, selected the 'green check filter' copied and printed the download logs out, highlited the monthly cycle update entries on the printout and am including them with an entry in the avionics log showing the updates along with the removal and replacement of the datacard for the 430W. I don't think there's anything else necessary to comply with the regs.

Cap'n Ron and John - I love the AIM and CFR references. What website do you use to search and copy the FARs/AIM from....I'm still doing it the old fashioned way with the 5 inch bound copy. Time for me to modernize my approach. I think this whole web thing might actually catch on!

Scott - Love the TSA photos. Made me chuckle pretty hard tonight. I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old daughter. You would think their teddy bears & American Girl doll were public enemy #1 the way TSA handles my family...ugh!

The FAR's are no longer on the faa.gov site. Due to intragovernmental agreements, if you click on the FAR's link on the FAA web site, it takes you out of their site over to the Combined Federal Regulations (CFR) web site (http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/) covering all the regs for all Federal agencies. You have to go to "browse" and then find the latest version of the Title 14 regs. Most of the time, I use the link in the landings.com web site (http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$...landings.com/_landings/pages/regulations.html), as it's much more flexible and quicker than the Federal one, but sometimes the links don't work properly and I have to go to the CFR site.

As for the AIM, I use the one on the FAA site - http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/.

The FAR's are no longer on the faa.gov site. Due to intragovernmental agreements, if you click on the FAR's link on the FAA web site, it takes you out of their site over to the Combined Federal Regulations (CFR) web site (http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/) covering all the regs for all Federal agencies. You have to go to "browse" and then find the latest version of the Title 14 regs.

From the FAA site it's 3 mouse clicks and you're there on the current regs. All of 5, maybe 7 seconds. Don't even have to "browse". :rolleyes:

Back