Cheap VFR iPad Apps

Phillygphd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Phil
What are the best iPad apps for VFR pilots, I am willing to pay for chart subscriptions but ForeFlight charging $75 seems a bit steep. I have developed AeroFlare which includes a free trial and has great functionality for $25/yr for VFR charts.

Has anyone found a VFR iPad app with reliable offline map updating that includes moving maps capability?

Thanks,

Phil

Reference: AeroFlare iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aeroflare/id555686058?mt=8)

Last edited:
fltplan.com has a free app with offline VFR and IFR charts, A/FD, moving maps, etc. It's not as good as Foreflight but it's quite good for the price.

Phil -- Perhaps it'd be in your best interest to disclose that you are in fact the developer of AeroFlare and your post is to try and use our website to improve your search engine optimization at the risk of being deceptive to thousands of pilots.

Would you like to try again? Have you read our Rules of Conduct?

What are the best iPad apps for VFR pilots, I am willing to pay for chart subscriptions but ForeFlight charging $75 seems a bit steep.

Steep? Really? It's less than the cost of keeping everything you get up to date in paper form for a year, and it's one of the cheapest iPad app subscriptions despite being arguably the best app of its type and having excellent support.

IMO, ForeFlight is a bargain. It's one of the reasons my first iPad paid for itself.

Phil -- Perhaps it'd be in your best interest to disclose that you are in fact the developer of AeroFlare and your post is to try and use our website to improve your search engine optimization at the risk of being deceptive to thousands of pilots.

LOL, when I ran PF, well known aviation companies would hire marketing types to pose questions to which they'd use their "other account" to recommend their "wonderful" products that just so happened to have every feature the poster was looking for... this was in spite of my "hock your wares but do it openly and tastefully" policy.

What are the best iPad apps for VFR pilots, I am willing to pay for chart subscriptions but ForeFlight charging $75 seems a bit steep. I have been using AeroFlare free trial and it has great functionality for $25/yr for VFR charts.

Has anyone found a VFR iPad app with reliable offline map updating that includes moving maps capability?

Thanks,

Phil

Reference: AeroFlare iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aeroflare/id555686058?mt=8)

Wow.

Just wow.

I like being a pilot because it seems like the people in aviation are generally really good people - Smart, friendly, and generous. It really makes me sad when the real world invades with a lack of personal integrity like this.

Gee, eight reviews on iTunes, all five stars. I wonder how many of them are real people? Probably none.

I saw this guy's sales pitch over in the cross country thread which seemed to have nothing to do with the OP's story. If you read this -- I won't be trying your app for certain now.

Jesse how did you know that, I mean he disclosed that when signing up, but not in post thats odd..

Jesse how did you know that, I mean he disclosed that when signing up, but not in post thats odd..

Just a little poking around..Click his link and you'll see it's developed by: Gurby, Inc.

Do a little googling targeting linked in via site: and you'll find:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/phillipgurbacki

A little more googling and it's pretty easy to confirm further.

Last edited:
:ohsnap:

We have been testing an application with some students called AeroFlare; it records and analyzes landings and landing performance as well as recording x-Country flights. We find this useful for student solos in the pattern and cross country flights because we can debrief with the student afterwards and see what speed, altitude, attitude, and location the plane was in throughout the flight. Initial reactions are very positive.

Jesse is quite skilled at getting information.

He's on my list of people to not **** off. :rofl:

The information is out there, if you want to find it. Maybe that's my problem - I *can* find a lot of info, I just don't care. But Jesse's skill allows him to find it faster than most people can, so idle curiosity quickly turns into knowledge.

It's a pretty good bet that when someone's very first post in a forum it a product endorsement, the post is from someone selling it. It usually doesn't take much extra to confirm it.

I agree that the thread started as an advertisement. Let's get over it and get on with what is still a good topic.

David

I agree that the thread started as an advertisement. Let's get over it and get on with what is still a good topic.

David

I would disagree. It didn't start as an advertisement. It started as a way for him to hijack google rankings (for free). Google for "Cheap VFR iPad App" and see for yourself.

I don't see the problem... he stated upfront, clearly, he was the developer. And I don't believe the search engine stuff... the google search shows his, cheaper, competition too. Anybody try the app, yet?

I would disagree. It didn't start as an advertisement. It started as a way for him to hijack google rankings (for free). Google for "Cheap VFR iPad App" and see for yourself.

So..... delete the thread?

I don't see the problem... he stated upfront, clearly, he was the developer.

Actually he didn't initially make those statements. He edited his post after Jesse suggested he make some changes.

ok, you are right, it is there on Google, top of the list.

So, let's make POA non-searchable by Google then.

David

Can of worms closed. Did not know it had been a previous topic.

David

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27388

Enjoy. I just wanted one forum where you had to be a member before you could see it so that we would be able to post things outside of Google's watchful eye and say things without worrying about whether a reporter would twist our words in an anti-GA sotry... One forum, not the entire board! And that thread went to 14 pages. Sheesh.

Of course, now that Migaldi's gone, maybe we can all agree it's a good idea. After all, Spin Zone was my suggestion (albeit with a different name), and I don't think that one was done on the first try either.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27388

Enjoy. I just wanted one forum where you had to be a member before you could see it so that we would be able to post things outside of Google's watchful eye and say things without worrying about whether a reporter would twist our words in an anti-GA sotry... One forum, not the entire board! And that thread went to 14 pages. Sheesh.

Of course, now that Migaldi's gone, maybe we can all agree it's a good idea. After all, Spin Zone was my suggestion (albeit with a different name), and I don't think that one was done on the first try either.

yeah, it's a double edged sword. I wouldn't have found this forum if it weren't for google. I was looking for some info and stumbled across this site. Turned out good for me. :yesnod:

yeah, it's a double edged sword. I wouldn't have found this forum if it weren't for google. I was looking for some info and stumbled across this site. Turned out good for me. :yesnod:

Yep, and I don't mind the site being Google-able, I think it's a great way to reach new people.

However, I would like a spot where we could discuss things without the whole world watching. I believe someone posted a link to a news story at one point that took some comments from "an internet message board" (who knows if it was this one, but quite possibly) out of context and made us all look bad.

Not to be a backseat mod, but I would go as far as changing thread title and removing the link for the software.

Interesting concept.

I hear tell there's a stud service in SE MO that's quite reasonably priced for height-weight proportionate babes. I can be contacted for further details.

:rofl:

Last edited:
Back