Cheap RV-7 AWE SCAT

scroll down

but

AFTER 3+ YEARS AND 180 HOURS TOTAL TIME SINCE NEW ON AIRFRAME AND ENGINE, THIS AIRPLANE WAS SOLD TO A NEW OWNER.

I DON’T KNOW THE OWNER OR HIS EXPERIENCE, OR CREDENTIALS, BUT WHAT WE DO KNOW IS THAT WHILE TAXIING THE AIRPLANE DURING HIS CHECKOUT, HE LEFT THE TAXIWAY AND ENTERED A DITCH ALONGSIDE THE TAXIWAY!!

So do you think this bird is rebuildable, Tom? The crushed landing gear box and damaged wing attach points would really put me off. The broken prop blade suggests an engine teardown might be needed.

I just don't see why this thing would be worth 35k without the avionics.

scroll down

but

AFTER 3+ YEARS AND 180 HOURS TOTAL TIME SINCE NEW ON AIRFRAME AND ENGINE, THIS AIRPLANE WAS SOLD TO A NEW OWNER.

I DON’T KNOW THE OWNER OR HIS EXPERIENCE, OR CREDENTIALS, BUT WHAT WE DO KNOW IS THAT WHILE TAXIING THE AIRPLANE DURING HIS CHECKOUT, HE LEFT THE TAXIWAY AND ENTERED A DITCH ALONGSIDE THE TAXIWAY!!

Oops. After reading all that, no way would I bid. Sounds like it took a big hit. And a broken prop makes me think teardown.

point was all that build time, all that money, ended up in a ditch........

This was not a first flight. Guy built it. Flew it for 180hrs. Sells it to a new owner. New owner taxies into the ditch. Insurance gets aircraft and sells it to Wentworth. Wentworth parts the plane out and sells the sorry remains on ebay.

I HATE ALL CAPS ADS, IMPOSSIBLE TO READ.

(the ad could have said 'RV8 fuselage and engine for salvage after nose-over with prop-strike, no avionics' with a lot less words)

This was not a first flight. Guy built it. Flew it for 180hrs. Sells it to a new owner. New owner taxies into the ditch. Insurance gets aircraft and sells it to Wentworth. Wentworth parts the plane out and sells the sorry remains on ebay.

I HATE ALL CAPS ADS, IMPOSSIBLE TO READ.

(the ad could have said 'RV8 fuselage and engine for salvage after nose-over with prop-strike, no avionics' with a lot less words)

The point is that aircraft are complex, handbuilt, and can be difficult to operate, especially for those with little experience in type. Thus it is unsurprising that they occasionally come to grief early in their life span. Like the B-17 resurrected from the Arctic that burned up just before it's first flight. These things are indeed sad, but hardly surprising.

The point is that aircraft are complex, handbuilt, and can be difficult to operate, especially for those with little experience in type. Thus it is unsurprising that they occasionally come to grief early in their life span. Like the B-29 resurrected from the Newfoundland. that burned up just before it's first flight. These things are indeed sad, but hardly surprising.

Fixed that for ya.

The point is that aircraft are complex, handbuilt, and can be difficult to operate, especially for those with little experience in type.

If we believe the RV crowd, their aircraft is stone simple and docile, according to the novel in the ad the pilot was undergoing transition training.
This was not a first flight, experimental or 'oh all the hard work' issue. This was simply someone who taxied a plane into a ditch.

Thus it is unsurprising that they occasionally come to grief early in their life span. Like the B-17 resurrected from the Arctic that burned up just before it's first flight. These things are indeed sad, but hardly surprising.

I would say that B29 came to grief pretty late in its lifespan, 60 years or so. The reason had nothing to do with the aircrafts handling and a lot with some mechanical/engineering decisions made by the guy in charge of the retrieval operation.

I would say that B29 came to grief pretty late in its lifespan, 60 years or so. The reason had nothing to do with the aircrafts handling and a lot with some mechanical/engineering decisions made by the guy in charge of the retrieval operation.
Bingo....he's lucky the tail burned off while the plane was still on the ground (or ice I guess...)

If we believe the RV crowd, their aircraft is stone simple and docile, according to the novel in the ad the pilot was undergoing transition training.
This was not a first flight, experimental or 'oh all the hard work' issue. This was simply someone who taxied a plane into a ditch.

I disagree. The B29 (please forgive my error) was reconstructed from a hulk. How that differs from an aircraft assembled from parts is not entirely apparent to me.

The one issue where I might agree is the B29 suffered from a construction problem during its refurbishment. My guess is had they been able to fly the aircraft, they would have been just fine. On the other hand, many experimentals, even when constructed properly, have unique handling characteristics that require some degree of specialized training. Put another way, I doubt the fellow taxied the RV8 into a ditch on purpose.

The one issue where I might agree is the B29 suffered from a construction problem during its refurbishment. My guess is had they been able to fly the aircraft, they would have been just fine.
Not sure what you are trying to say. They were taxiing the airplane on the ice getting ready for take-off when the fire broke out. If the fire had broken out just a few minutes later they would have been in the air and would subsequently all died.

I disagree. The B29 (please forgive my error) was reconstructed from a hulk. How that differs from an aircraft assembled from parts is not entirely apparent to me.

They hung a couple of engines and changed the tires and hydraulic fluid.

The thing burned up because they had jury-rigged a jerry can to run the gasoline powered APU in the tail, when the plane shook and shimmied on the bumpy surface, fuel spilled onto the engine and that was the end of it.

My guess is had they been able to fly the aircraft, they would have been just dead.
!

On the other hand, many experimentals, even when constructed properly, have unique handling characteristics that require some degree of specialized training.
The RV is a series built aircraft as any, there are more RVs flying than Columbia400s. I dont believe there is anything particular in their handling beyond the fact that they are small, lightweight and the nosewheel is somehow bolted to the tail.

Put another way, I doubt the fellow taxied the RV8 into a ditch on purpose.
I dont believe so either.

Having bought a classic car 2 months ago, just to have some 19 yo knucklehead in daddys car run into me on the way home after I picked it up, I can somewhat imagine how the fellow must have felt :incazzato:.

Having bought a classic car 2 months ago, just to have some 19 yo knucklehead in daddys car run into me on the way home after I picked it up, I can somewhat imagine how the fellow must have felt :incazzato:.
I feel for ya. One of our neighbors had a very nice '64-1/2 Mustang rag top, very nicely restored, that we loved seeing around the neighborhood. They decided, for whatever incomprehensible reason, to let their 16 or 17 year old son drive it... regularly.

You can guess the rest. Note the past tense.

I feel for ya. One of our neighbors had a very nice '64-1/2 Mustang rag top, very nicely restored, that we loved seeing around the neighborhood. They decided, for whatever incomprehensible reason, to let their 16 or 17 year old son drive it... regularly.

You can guess the rest. Note the past tense.

I hope the young man was unhurt in the presumed collision. Cars can be rebuilt or replaced, even valued ones. Not so easy with people.

He survived the crash, but the Mustang did not. Whether he was happy to have survived once Mom & Dad got hold of him... well, not so sure about that. But as you said -- sheet metal doesn't matter, lives do.

Back