Cheap international cellphone service

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I'm going to be travelling a lot more internationally soon, and I am trying to figure out the best way to go about managing my cellphone service. I have Verizon, and it will work pretty much anywhere, but they will charge $10/day. That could end up costing me as much as $160/month. I could sign up for an international plan with Verizon that costs $85/month, but I was hoping to find an option that is cheaper than that. I don't talk a lot on the phone, and I am OK with limited data since the hotels will have free wifi.

I do not want to switch from Verizon for a variety of reasons.

Google Fi has a plan that looks like it will cost me $20/month, but in order to sign up for that I would either need a different sim card, or carry a second phone with me. Both of those options don't really appeal to me.

Any suggestions?

The best cellphone connection provider for someone who (1) wants to travel internationally a lot, and (2) wants to be able to use it as a cellphone when traveling (as opposed to only being able to make calls when connected to wifi) is usually T-Mobile. They have seamless, no-action-required roaming in many countries.

Edit: Calls are apparently .25/minute, so not quite as "included" as I thought. But, still useful.

Last edited:
Almost all the carriers roam just fine overseas these days. The phones have gotten to the point where it's just software.

First step is to contact your existing carrier. Some like AT&T have pretty nice international packages you can turn up if you intend to be roaming out of the country a lot (similarly with cruise ships, but we were never that far from the shore most of the time that I had to avail myself of that).

International calls can be stupid expensive even with a plan. We all use iPhones and wireless FaceTime audio for communicating overseas. It’s free and it works 99 percent of the time, falling back on the local network for the remaining 1 percent.

My wife has t mobile. Not sure what she pays since she’s on a plan with her mom but it’s a lot cheaper than Verizon. I believe the international data is only 3G speeds so don’t expect it to work like you’re in the states. Verizon’s international plan is robbery. It’s so expensive. I’ve looked into it. If I need to use data, I’ll usually just use the company iPad.

I'm going to be travelling a lot more internationally soon, and I am trying to figure out the best way to go about managing my cellphone service. I have Verizon, and it will work pretty much anywhere, but they will charge $10/day. That could end up costing me as much as $160/month. I could sign up for an international plan with Verizon that costs $85/month, but I was hoping to find an option that is cheaper than that. I don't talk a lot on the phone, and I am OK with limited data since the hotels will have free wifi.

I do not want to switch from Verizon for a variety of reasons.

Google Fi has a plan that looks like it will cost me $20/month, but in order to sign up for that I would either need a different sim card, or carry a second phone with me. Both of those options don't really appeal to me.

Any suggestions?

Well you have the rates for Verizon, nothing that you can change about that.

Google Fi I believe is $70 per month for unlimited data and that is pretty much globally (200+ countries), their service reception in the US is severely lacking that is why I got rid of it.

T-mobile has free international texting, I think it at least includes Canada unsure about the other countries. It does not include calling internationally. It might include some data but I’m unsure.

Some possible solutions are:

1) Most phones have dual sim, or you’d be able to unlock your phone, and get your Verizon as a primary electronic sim and insert your data roaming sim (or secondary SIM whether that’s Google Fi) in your phone manually. Your data roaming sim can be a local sim purchased at your destination, includes a local number local phone calls and local data, sometimes these cards are region specific such as entire Asia, entire Europe etc, usually they are cheap globally $10/20 for a week or $30 for a month even!

2) Rely on WiFi - many countries have free WiFi everywhere, some do not.

3) Get a Skype calling package if phone calls is what you want, this is a cheap way to get unlimited calling to any number globally for cheap, they have several packages, some plans start at $3 per month

4) Get a Google voice number (this is free - for calling only, use the Google voice app) if you want to receive calls/texts and make calls/text to US for free just using either data or WiFi, also has voicemail. You can bypass Verizon’s extreme rates by using Google voice.

FWIW I don't know if Skype is still out there. I was outta country for 2 months a few years ago. I went with a Skype thing that gave me a discrete number. It was cheaper than Verizons(my carrier) international plan. Worked fine. Until I was back and tried to shut down the service and stop the billing. Finally had to call the Credit Card bank and tell them I have tried everything I can with Skype and they won't do it. They asked if I want to ever do anything with Skype in the future. I said no. They credited my account. And I'm sure will never again authorize any charge from Skype. Couple years later I went outta country again for a month. Verizon had a good plan then. Wasn't much more than a few bucks more than my regular bill.

Wherever you have wifi you can call using facetime, WhatsApp, Signal and similar apps for free, as long as the other person uses the same app. If you have to call 'normal' phone numbers, you can still use an app and call them over wifi. Rebtel worked pretty well for me in the past and they have cheap rates for most countries. If you need data for when you may be outside wifi coverage, it's best to get a local pay as you go sim card that will again allow to make internet calls. No need to pay roaming charges or sign a contract.

All I want is the ability to text, and the ability to receive and make calls in the event of an emergency when not on Wifi. Having some cheap or included data would be gravy, but not completely necessary. Unfortunately the phone I have no does not have dual sim ability, but I can add a second "eSim" card. Looks like that may work with Google Fi....hmmmm

All I want is the ability to text, and the ability to receive and make calls in the event of an emergency when not on Wifi. Having some cheap or included data would be gravy, but not completely necessary. Unfortunately the phone I have no does not have dual sim ability, but I can add a second "eSim" card. Looks like that may work with Google Fi....hmmmm
I've no personal experience with it, but many people replace their USA SIM card for one purchased locally. I'm making the assumption you will be in a country long enough for that to be practical.

The best cellphone connection provider for someone who (1) wants to travel internationally a lot, and (2) wants to be able to use it as a cellphone when traveling (as opposed to only being able to make calls when connected to wifi) is usually T-Mobile. They have seamless, no-action-required roaming in many countries.

Edit: Calls are apparently .25/minute, so not quite as "included" as I thought. But, still useful.
I second that. Check out the TMobile Magenta Plans: https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming I have my whole family on TMobile, and we have used it pretty much seamlessly within, to, from, and between many countries.
We generally use Whatsapp to call each other - and that generally works great as well (sometines a call won't ring - but the fix is to send a text alerting the called party).

The only beef I have about TMobile in general is that their 5G Service is sometimes rather balky where I live. Supposedly it is a local issue - but I have no way of proving it.

Dave

T-mobile. It’s essentially unlimited data, which means you can also text and use FaceTime audio (iPhone) or Skype to call home. I’ve used it in so many places and I’m always amazed it works so well. I’ll never give up T-mobile for this reason alone. All the others are insanely expensive.

Another vote for T-Mobile. Worked in the various countries (Asian and Eastern Europe) countries seamlessly. I used Facetime or Google Voice for calls, but if needed, I cell call was a non-issue and per-minute rates were not bad.

Would it be reasonable to buy a cheap phone with sim card and international plan, as soon as you step off the plane?
I see such things in the Dollar Stores here, Walmart too.

I'm going to look into the google fi option with the eSim, and if that isn't practical I will get a cheap T-Mobile phone to carry with me.

Thanks

Well in the event of an emergency who cares just use your Verizon, problem solved. Unless you have emergencies every day then you need another SIM card.

Well in the event of an emergency who cares just use your Verizon, problem solved. Unless you have emergencies every day then you need another SIM card.

Because if my phone is on, I will get charged $10 a day by verizon for their travel pass. Plus I need the ability to text.

Because if my phone is on, I will get charged $10 a day by verizon for their travel pass. Plus I need the ability to text.

There should be a data roaming button, you can have your phone on, and receive calls and texts, without using data. Simply turning your phone on in a foreign country shouldn’t prompt a charge unless you activate the data and data is flowing or there is a phone call or SMS. Usually inbound texts are free too. I think you need to speak with 5 people at Verizon to get 5 different stories and conclude with what you believe is correct. Then once you get your bill you can always call and ask for a courtesy credit as you understood wrongly or you were informed wrongly.

I have Verizon, and it will work pretty much anywhere, but they will charge $10/day.
Are you sure of that?
https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/travel-pass/
That still might work, if I read this as Verizon intended:
Once added, you’ll only be charged on the days you call, send texts or use data on your device while abroad, so there’s no need to remove TravelPass once you return.
I interpret this as the $10 is triggered only on the days it is used abroad, so you might go a long time without paying extra. Given this comment:
I don't talk a lot on the phone, and I am OK with limited data since the hotels will have free wifi.
Verizon still might work for you.

Edit: A telemarketer calling you might trigger the $10 , so maybe not so good.

Last edited:
My wife and I have T-mobile, and no surprises on our bill month after month.

we live part time in Ensenada and wouldn’t trade to any other carrier unless a major change happens.

However, you say you’re sold on Verizon and their stuff and immovable. So, enjoy. They’ll treat you well, too, as they’re one of the better infrastructures and have excellent coverage in the US.

Unport and old paid-for phone and buy a SIM card when you get there. Or buy a phone when you get there, they can be had cheap.

Unport and old paid-for phone and buy a SIM card when you get there. Or buy a phone when you get there, they can be had cheap.

Came here to say this. I have a friend who lived in Brussels for a few years and would just switch the Sim card out of his phone. They are easy to find there and cheap. Not sure of the detail, his phone probably wasn't locked by his us service. I can ask if you want to know. It does mean you have a different phone number but he uses what's app so it really doesn't matter.

Back