Cheap gas

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
i flew down to McKinney TX (KTKI) on Friday for the FCS National Championship game today (Go Bison! Four time FCS champs in a row!) When searching on cheap gas I found Sherman, TX at $3.35! I couldn't believe it but it was true! Took 74 gallons there, then flew 10 min. to KTKI. While it looks like I might accomplish the unheard of tomorrow (good tailwinds both ways!) I can find any really cheap fuel for a stop on the way home. $3.99 at KGPH near KC looks like the best deal en route. Anyone aware f any better deals along the way?

$3.35 on my home field KGTU right now, not too far away from where you were. Good times. :) Too bad the weather has been crap around here the last few weeks otherwise I'd be flying the wings off...

i flew down to McKinney TX (KTKI) on Friday for the FCS National Championship game today (Go Bison! Four time FCS champs in a row!) When searching on cheap gas I found Sherman, TX at $3.35! I couldn't believe it but it was true! Took 74 gallons there, then flew 10 min. to KTKI. While it looks like I might accomplish the unheard of tomorrow (good tailwinds both ways!) I can find any really cheap fuel for a stop on the way home. $3.99 at KGPH near KC looks like the best deal en route. Anyone aware f any better deals along the way?

If you can pull that off, you win the POA lottery...

KGPH will be a quicker Self Service Turn for you than MKC. There isn't a lot there, but if you just need to fill up it is easy enough. Even has decent approaches and is just outside the sleepy Bravo..

...maybe you should detour over to Shreveport on your way up...color in one more state on your map. :)

Even last year I remember fuel being pretty cheap in Mosby. I used the map in Foreflight to find it then. Don't think I paid too much attention to how accurate it is, but this is what it is showing today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 25
If you can pull that off, you win the POA lottery...

I did win the POA lottery today! Better tailwinds for the first half of the return than I had going down on Friday. I had filed for KGPH for cheap fuel, but by Tulsa realized I could make it non-stop and updated my flight plan with them!

When the old Cherokee Six is moving across the ground at 171 kts you KNOW Mother Nature is smiling on you!

I did win the POA lottery today! Better tailwinds for the first half of the return than I had going down on Friday. I had filed for KGPH for cheap fuel, but by Tulsa realized I could make it non-stop and updated my flight plan with them!

When the old Cherokee Six is moving across the ground at 171 kts you KNOW Mother Nature is smiling on you!

You lucky dog,,,,,,,

Even last year I remember fuel being pretty cheap in Mosby. I used the map in Foreflight to find it then. Don't think I paid too much attention to how accurate it is, but this is what it is showing today.

Scroll that up towards Canada. Seems like everything up there is under $2 while here it is mostly over $5! What is up with that? Is that $2 per Liter instead of per gallon?

Just looking at fuel prices on foreflight, they can vary a dollar or more per gallon over a somewhat "small" area.

Just looking at fuel prices on foreflight, they can vary a dollar or more per gallon over a somewhat "small" area.

vary $1 or more...yeah, it's $3.35 on my field and at Austin Bergstrom International ~30 miles from me it's double the price. I dunno how people do it there...I suppose they stop somewhere else and keep the tanks full and only get gas there when absolutely neccesary. That's just plain dumb. I mean, I can understand why gas would be more expensive at a big airport but come on, double the price? I'm not sure if that's just to scare GA away or rape and pillage the poor bastards that have to get fuel there.

vary $1 or more...yeah, it's $3.35 on my field and at Austin Bergstrom International ~30 miles from me it's double the price. I dunno how people do it there...I suppose they stop somewhere else and keep the tanks full and only get gas there when absolutely neccesary. That's just plain dumb. I mean, I can understand why gas would be more expensive at a big airport but come on, double the price? I'm not sure if that's just to scare GA away or rape and pillage the poor bastards that have to get fuel there.

No idea here. Oil prices have dropped, I have to imagine most FBOs are getting their 100LL from a limited number of suppliers so I can't see them paying excessive differences in price. Maybe it's just being greedy. I digress though, pilots are free to buy the cheaper fuel elsewhere...

Des Moines is still listed at over $7 a gallon. Crazy.

Des Moines is still listed at over $7 a gallon. Crazy.

Des Moines has always been high.

I have always assumed that taxes play a big part in the price variance. I know the taxes on auto gas are vastly different in all of the various counties in the Chicago area.

I am sure it also has to do with overhead. I haven't seen too many self serve pumps at larger airports. Fuel trucks and labor have to be expensive.

I am not sure what the size of the tanks are, but I would assume that they are pretty good size, so they may still have fuel at an older price.

Also I am sure that just like auto gas, prices go up way faster than they go down.

Then you definitely have the captive audience/greed factor.

$3.75 here in South Central Tennessee at BGF. I love Foreflight, don't get me wrong, but I often find that their 100LL prices seem to lag about 1 to 2 weeks behind...at least in this area they seem to.

$3.75 here in South Central Tennessee at BGF. I love Foreflight, don't get me wrong, but I often find that their 100LL prices seem to lag about 1 to 2 weeks behind...at least in this area they seem to.

That would be more a reflection on the fact that folks don't report and not enough folks fly often enough who do. :)

That would be more a reflection on the fact that folks don't report and not enough folks fly often enough who do. :)

Normally I would say you are right, but I try to update the prices with them every week (at least for my airport) and it still seems to lag a little on the map page at least. The FBO page seems to update, but the map seems to run behind.

Back