Charts for Canada

sballmer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stefan
I am planing a cross-border hop to Montreal, Canada - most likely simply IFR (less hassle with the flight plan). My first flight into Canada.

My question is: What Canadian charts do I really need? Am I good with simply the IFR low altitude enroute chart plus approach plates? (That's what I'd bring in the US), or am I required to bring something else?

The US VFR sectional and IFR charts actually reach up to Montreal - but are they sufficient by themselfs?

Charting in Canada can get pricey quickly, so I don't want to overdue it for a single short trip... This is also why I am not sure its worth to drop $150k for the Canadian Foreflight subscription...

Any tips welcome, including anything done differently up there that a US pilot would be surprised by when flying into Canada. Thanks!

I am planing a cross-border hop to Montreal, Canada - most likely simply IFR (less hassle with the flight plan). My first flight into Canada.

My question is: What Canadian charts do I really need? Am I good with simply the IFR low altitude enroute chart plus approach plates? (That's what I'd bring in the US), or am I required to bring something else?

The US VFR sectional and IFR charts actually reach up to Montreal - but are they sufficient by themselfs?

Charting in Canada can get pricey quickly, so I don't want to overdue it for a single short trip... This is also why I am not sure its worth to drop $150k for the Canadian Foreflight subscription...

Any tips welcome, including anything done differently up there that a US pilot would be surprised by when flying into Canada. Thanks!

Yes, you are good with the overlapped coverage of the VFR sectionals and IFR enroutes. For approach plates you can print out the charts from fltplan.com (free), and/or copy the PDF files to a tablet.
Be sure to get Canadian notams:
https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca...s&NoSession=&Page=Fore-obs/notam&TypeDoc=html

And be sure to have your customs/immigration ducks in a row:
- eApis (outbound AND inbound from/to US)
- Canpass (into Canada)
- VFR flight plan in Canada (if not IFR)
- phone call to US customs verify US entry in addition to eApis

Best to use the AOPA info packet for Canada if you haven't flown there before:
http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Canada

But ask here if you have any specific questions.

To be legal in Canada, you need the Canadian charts.

I now use Fltplan Go on an iPad mini (retina). It has all the charts (VFR, IFR, TAC etc) and approach plates for USA and Canada. Free. They also have a version for Android OS.

I fly IFR and VFR and have been most pleased with the product as of late (price and stability/usability).

One more thing, the IFR charts and airport diagrams are geo-referenced out of the box. FF charged extra for USA, but included it with the Canadian $150 charts.

Last edited:
To be legal in Canada, you need the Canadian charts.

I now use Fltplan Go on an iPad mini (retina). It has all the charts (VFR, IFR, TAC etc) and approach plates for USA and Canada. Free. They also have a version for Android OS.

I fly IFR and VFR and have been most pleased with the product as of late (price and stability/usability).

One more thing, the IFR charts and airport diagrams are geo-referenced out of the box. FF charged extra for USA, but included it with the Canadian $150 charts.

Alfio

+1. I used the Fltplan app last time I flew up to Halifax this past summer.

Also know that the Canadian subscription to Foreflight is prorate-able. In other words, you can upgrade to the Canada plan, do your trip, and then downgrade to your old plan. The difference in price is credited to your Foreflight account, so it may only "cost" you a few bucks if you use it just for a few days.

+1. I used the Fltplan app last time I flew up to Halifax this past summer.

Thanks for pointing out the Fltplan app. It looks pretty nifty, and certainly will do the trick for me!

I am just wondering: generally, you are either the customer or the product of a company - if they give you free stuff, the second is more likely...

So what is Fltplan's business model?

Thanks for pointing out the Fltplan app. It looks pretty nifty, and certainly will do the trick for me!

I am just wondering: generally, you are either the customer or the product of a company - if they give you free stuff, the second is more likely...

They are hoping you will buy their other services. For example, if you file a flight plan to Canada it will say that there is no eAPIS recorded. It will say that even if you have filed eAPIS yourself, but they are trying to get you to buy their service which files it for you.

They have some ads on the static pages of the application. They are relevant aviation ads, and they charge for optional additional services like eAPIS filing.

I don't me to threadjack this and I think this is in the same vein at least. Anybody know how difficult is it to cross the border in a NORDO aircraft built without an electrical system?

Back