Charging people to ride my private plane

First of all, how does the FAA find out you are charging for flights?
Second, How does the FAA prove you are charging?

First of all, how does the FAA find out you are charging for flights?
Second, How does the FAA prove you are charging?

Person that bought the flight complains to the FAA.
Person testifies as such to the FAA.

As it's not a criminal case the burden of proof is much less. Basically, the FAA will probably side with the complainant.

I leave for a week and a 3 post troll reels you guys in like so many flounders!

Just wanted to get people's opinion on my idea. We were thinking of using our private plane and giving people rides but don't know if there's anything (legal wise) that we would be required to do for this. I've tried googling it but it just leads me to other companies that do this and that's not what I want and ours wouldn't be a company per say. Any ideas/thoughts would be great.

I don't see what the problem everyone has with this question.
:dunno:

I give people rides all the time in "our" private plane. I don't charge them... (and the OP didn't say he would charge them either).

I give people rides all the time in "our" private plane. I don't charge them... (and the OP didn't say he would charge them either).

I think it is the title of the thread.

I think you should read the title of the thread.

Just to give sightseeing rides, you'd need to get a Commercial Pilot certificate, enroll in a random drug-testing program, and obtain a Letter of Authorization from your local FSDO -- see 14 CFR 91.147 for details.

For anything more than that, you're talking about a Part 135 operating certificate -- see Parts 119 and 135 of the FAR's about that; they should be in your FAR/AIM book.

In addition, you will probably want to expand your insurance coverage to include such commercial operations -- ask your insurance broker about that, but typically that will at least triple your premium.

That's what I needed to know. It would just be me and my spouse and he's the pilot not me. He's working crazy hours right now and I'll have to ask him about Part 135. He was telling me about Part 119 since the idea so far is only for scenic routes/tours that's all we discussed.

And to everyone else just because I have a life outside of this forum doesn't mean I'm a troll nor does it mean I lack intelligence. :nono:

And to everyone else just because I have a life outside of this forum doesn't mean I'm a troll nor does it mean I lack intelligence. :nono:

As you've noticed, people do like to jump to conclusions around here!

That's what I needed to know. It would just be me and my spouse and he's the pilot not me. He's working crazy hours right now and I'll have to ask him about Part 135. He was telling me about Part 119 since the idea so far is only for scenic routes/tours that's all we discussed.
"Scenic routes/tours" sounds like more than 25sm from the airport of origin, so you are pretty much looking at Part 135/136 -- which means quite a bit of investment in FAA paperwork and approvals as well as pricey insurance. I wouldn't think this would be a good way to reduce the cost of owning your own plane, if that's what you have in mind.

Back