Changing OEM oxygen bottle size?

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the FAA and changing the size of an installed oxygen bottle? I've got a G model 206, my bottle is due for replacement and I'd like to install a larger one. It doesn't look like it would require any modifications except for possibly larger clamps.

Has anyone had any recent success with getting this passed as a minor modification?

Thanks

It doesn't look like it would require any modifications except for possibly larger clamps.
Is the original system Cessna or a 3rd party install?

My info is dated but it will take a little more than larger clamps. If the larger bottle weighs more will need to calculate if the current mount and surrounding structure will handle the required additional loads. AC 43.13-2B, Ch. 1 & Ch. 6 have the basics to follow. There are also DOT requirements on the volume and type bottles used with aircraft installations. If the existing mount/structure can handle the loads, don't see why you couldn't keep it in minor alteration territory since you have a system installed. But that will be a call for your mechanic to make. The few bottle upgrades I did required additional mounting provisions which pushed it into a major alteration.

It's an OEM install. Thanks for the info!

It looks like the 206H model comes with a 77cuft bottle, that would be maybe a little big but a very nice size. 22 cuft is just a bit small when so few FBOs any more have oxygen.

So, the clamps have a breaking strength of 1600lbs, 9G loads for the bigger bottle is 171lbs. I'm trying to do as much research as possible before presenting this to my mechanic. How can I determine if the underlying structure is sufficient? It's mounted to stringers in the empennage.

Call Mountain High or Aerox. They will help you out with what you need to know.

How can I determine if the underlying structure is sufficient?
Since you're talking about 2 Cessna systems, I'd cut to the chase and call Cessna Support about the bottle swap. There might be an option bulletin that definitely keeps it a minor alteration.

So, the clamps have a breaking strength of 1600lbs, 9G loads for the bigger bottle is 171lbs. I'm trying to do as much research as possible before presenting this to my mechanic. How can I determine if the underlying structure is sufficient? It's mounted to stringers in the empennage.
The parts lists are available online from Cessna. Compare the models and the parts numbers for both the clamps and the structural parts.

Back