Changing N Number

LouisianaLady

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LouisianaLady
What are the requirements for quantity of number / characters?

U.S. aircraft registration numbers (i.e. N-Numbers) consist of a series of numbers and letters.
N-Numbers may not exceed five (5) characters in addition to the standard U.S.
registration prefix letter "N" (i.e. the prefix of "N" is not considered in the count).
These characters:

• may be one (1) to five (5) numbers (e.g. N12345);
  • may be one (1) to four (4) numbers and one (1) suffix letter (examples: N1A and N1234Z);
  • may be one (1) to three (3) numbers and two (2) suffix letters (examples: N24BY and N123AZ).
  • may not be the letters "I" or "O" to avoid confusion with the numbers one (1) or zero (0).
An N-Number may not begin with zero (0).
The first zero in a number must be preceded by at least one of the numbers one (1) through nine (9)
(example: N01Z is not valid).
Registration numbers N1 through N99 are reserved for Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) internal use and are not available.

Last edited:
The above plus style and size depends on the type of plane and nature of the paint job as well as performance (e.g., cruise speed).

'Gimp

...and how old it is (or appears to be).

good luck getting anything short. very few short ones left. I did a search for numbers ending in JB for someone, and there were only 2 numbers ending in JB left. almost nothing with 2 numbers followed by 2 numbers left. I just reserved the last 2 number ending in RB.

bob burns

good luck getting anything short. very few short ones left. I did a search for numbers ending in JB for someone, and there were only 2 numbers ending in JB left. almost nothing with 2 numbers followed by 2 numbers left. I just reserved the last 2 number ending in RB.

bob burns
I've reserved several with repeating numbers then a final letter. Like N2222B, etc. Not four characters, but easy and looks interesting. I also sought as few syllables in the last three as possible (like two mike mike), etc.

Same deal with N185** tail numbers, most Cessna 185s have N185 as their tails, not many left at all.

I wonder how many of the reserved numbers never get used or get forgotten that they were reserved ? Is there an expiration date for the reservation? If someone dies before using the number, will the widow remember to notify the FAA?

I had N1RN reserved for a while but I let it slide (N1RN is my amateur radio callsign).

I wonder how many of the reserved numbers never get used or get forgotten that they were reserved ? Is there an expiration date for the reservation? If someone dies before using the number, will the widow remember to notify the FAA?
"Reserved for one year. Upon reservation, we will mail a confirmation notice to the requester. A renewal notice will also be sent prior to the expiration date. An on-line reservation request program is available. Reservations may be renewed for additional periods of one year. The renewal fee is $10 each year. An on-line renewal program is available."

Available short numbers ending in Q seem to be the most abundant.

bob burns

It's almost like a bunch of people are just wasting N-numbers because it's only $10...

We get a Citation in here quite often.... NINA...

I assume the owners wife is named Nina...:dunno:...;)

Same deal with N185** tail numbers, most Cessna 185s have N185 as their tails, not many left at all.

Same with N421## and N182## pretty much all taken by now. Jet Blue uses JB numbers and has several reserved, I think Delta still uses DL. I wanted to change the 182 to something TB for my son, nothing looked appealing so it's still UD. ;)

Also remember you have to change the airworthiness certificate as well. It's painless, just call the FSDO, my guys bring it to me at the airport! :yes:

I always thought Nikes Gulf Stream was cleaver, N1KE

Dr Bird's 4 engine Consolidated PBY Catalina.

N81RD...................NBIRD

xxxpby1.jpg.w300h199.jpg

Disney? I remember seeing a G-I on display with MM as the last letters, but I don't remember the numbers. :dunno:

It "was" a Disney number, but my owner bought the number for $10,000.

We used it on a King Air 200, and flew it for Macy's on a 135 certificate.

It "was" a Disney number, but my owner bought the number for $10,000.

We used it on a King Air 200, and flew it for Macy's on a 135 certificate.

IIRC...

NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon had to pay 60,000 dollars for N24JG..

It's funny. I've never had a vanity plate on any of my vehicles as I think they are ridiculous. However, I could definitely see having an N# that has some sort of personal significance or has a little humor. I guess being able to make calls with it on the radio or hearing other pilots and ATC call it seems far more interesting and fun than just having it on your bumper for others to look at.

My wife has the N number on her license plates.

HER: Why did you put the N Number on my license plage?
ME: What was your plate number before?
HER: I don't know.
ME: What is it now?
HER: N5327K
ME: See.

I always thought Nikes Gulf Stream was cleaver, N1KE

I saw it on the ramp at CAK one day. Lebron lives near by and they sponser events in town. Not a bad way to travel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back