Changing instructors

U

Unregistered

I want to change to a different CFI from the same FBO my current instructor is.
I'm not going to post the reasons why. I'm just not happy. Would it be better just to go to a different flight school? I'm afraid it would be awkward if I see my current CFI and I'm training with a different CFI.

It doesn't matter why. Just tell your CFI that you want to fly with someone else. Or tell the Chief Pilot. There is nothing wrong with deciding to fly with somebody different. No reason to feel guilty or sorry.

Not uncommon for students to switch.

If the School or FBO has a Chief Instructor (most do), ask to talk with him/her about your situation. Go in with the idea of providing constructive feedback on how the existing CFI could do better. It's information the Chief is gonna want to know anyway and it may help smooth the transition.

The answer to your questions depends entirely on the circumstances.

There are a lot of reasons and circumstances around why one might change instructors.

If you're not happy because your instructor is an ***hole, he'll still be an ***hole. If you're not happy because your instructor's schedule doesn't fit yours, that's going to be irrelevant.

If the School or FBO has a Chief Instructor (most do), ask to talk with him/her about your situation. Go in with the idea of providing constructive feedback on how the existing CFI could do better. It's information the Chief is gonna want to know anyway and it may help smooth the transition.
Yeah, that ^^^^^

Just keep this in mind. Your current instructor is your only instructor, but your instructor (probably) has many students. For this reason, it seems like a bigger deal to you than it will to the instructor. If you want to change instructors, just do it. The instructor might not even notice or will be glad that you have found somebody who you feel is a better fit for your schedule, personality, or learning style.

If the instructor makes a big deal out of it, he/she probably wasn't a good fit for you IMO. I did my private with my first instructor, then decided to change to a different flight school for my instrument. I absolutely loved my instructor and think he is one of the most knowledgeable and safe instructors out there but his planes weren't reliable. I still visited him during my instrument training and he would ask me how my family was, how life was, how training was going, etc. We still maintained that good relationship because he knew there were no hard feelings between us. I also rented out of a place so I could build hours because their planes were cheaper than my flight schools. The owner didn't have a problem with that and we still keep in touch and I still visit the school to see how things are going and I occasionally rent from them.

I'm not going to post the reasons why. I'm just not happy. Would it be better just to go to a different flight school? I'm afraid it would be awkward if I see my current CFI and I'm training with a different CFI.

Been there, done that. Two days before my instrument ride actually. He did my private and it was awesome so I requested him for my instrument.... turns out he was a terrible instrument instructor and I called him out on it (My airplane, I'm PIC). Told the chief CFI who was also the DPE I was going to take the ride regardless after I flew with a different CFI. I did. Different CFI ended up doing most of the training for my II too. Was well worth it. Old CFI still occasionally says hi when I'm around, but he still also shoots me "the look". It's whatever. When friends get him or do acro rides with him (my school is known for its aerobatic program and he's an aerobatic instructor) I still highly recommend him.... except for instrument stuff.

This should absolutely not be a problem - if the two of you aren't getting along, switch! If he's a good CFI he'll also see the need to switch and won't have a problem with it. If he's a jerk, well then he's going to be a jerk anyway, nothing you can do about that.

As a CFI, when I get a new student I have a short "welcome" talk with them as part of our introduction before the first lesson. One of the things I stress is that if they don't think it's working out for any reason, they're free to let me know, let the Chief Instructor know, whichever they're comfortable with, and request a change. I let them know that I will do the same thing if I see that's it's not working. Actually did this with one student, too, and because of the up-front discussion, it was an "amicable divorce". I stress that what I want most is to see them get their certificate, regardless of who it's with, and that sometimes personalities or teaching/learning styles just don't match. That's normal and fine and nothing to be worried about!

If your current CFI is a professional as I would hope he/she is, it shouldn't matter what the reasons are. I switched CFIs and we were/still are friends. Now the CFI I shifted from is my secondary instructor in a very minor role for my IR, and will be the DPE. He understood why I switched. It happens all the time. Just be polite, professional, factual and non personal. Put it on you.

Bottom line is you are the customer. If you like the school, FBO and you are familiar with the aircraft, just switch instructors. It can be more of a PITA to change schools than instructors. Just carefully interview instructors after you have given your decision as you don't want to develop a reputation.

Been there, done that. Two days before my instrument ride actually. He did my private and it was awesome so I requested him for my instrument.... turns out he was a terrible instrument instructor and I called him out on it (My airplane, I'm PIC). Told the chief CFI who was also the DPE I was going to take the ride regardless after I flew with a different CFI. I did. Different CFI ended up doing most of the training for my II too. Was well worth it. Old CFI still occasionally says hi when I'm around, but he still also shoots me "the look". It's whatever. When friends get him or do acro rides with him (my school is known for its aerobatic program and he's an aerobatic instructor) I still highly recommend him.... except for instrument stuff.
Just curious, why would you go through all the training with him then give him the boot 2 days before your checkride? If you knew he was a bad CFII, why woulnd't you change earlier?

Go for it. I've flown with 5 different instructors with my flight school. I picked up something from each one; 4 gave me good instruction, 1 didn't. That 1 doesn't work there anymore, and not by his choice.

OP comment

Thanks for replies. This is not a schedule conflict or anything like that. I just need a change so I can continue to progress in my training. It more of a personality issue with me.

Edited[

QUOTE=Unregistered;1450954]OP comment

Thanks for replies. This is not a schedule conflict or anything like that. I just need a change so I can continue to progress in my training. It more of a personality issue with me and my instructor.[/QUOTE]

Flight training is not about the instructor it is about the student. You do what is best for you accomplishing your goals.

I changed just after my cross-country flights. The progression past just being safe wasnt where I wanted as, I neared the check-ride. My second instructor was very different, old school, very matter-of-fact and it was great learning from a different perspective, and he helped me actually feel very sharp on landings and PP maneuvers. It ended up being a great thing, and no hard feelings with my origional CFI, we even fly for fun every now and again. Do it, dont loose money on something that is not working.

Just curious, why would you go through all the training with him then give him the boot 2 days before your checkride? If you knew he was a bad CFII, why woulnd't you change earlier?

I thought I could stick it out. We got into an argument about halfway through the IR and I let it go... I was bored, wasn't being challenged... was flying the same 3 approaches every. single. lesson. I had them memorized. He wouldn't deviate from them because "That's how we do it". I went for a mock checkride with my DPE and we realized I had major deficiencies that were due to my training, not my preparation. I was done. I needed an instructor who gave a crap about IFR flying (he didn't, he was an acro guy). So I spent the next couple of days with momma prepping for the oral and flying with another guy. Passed on the first go.

Dont worry about it. If you feel need for the change, no explaination needed. I did it as a student and had students change from/to me.

My first instructor was very young and from England. Very proper, very mannered. I am from Texas, an older student. He was tea and crumpets, I was a demolition derby. He was fine wine and fine arts, I am long necks and fried jalapenos. He was a very knowledgeable and capable instructor, and I was a demanding student. The only unworkable difference was his teaching style did not work with my learning style. But there was nothing wrong with my first instructor. I went through 3 more instructors until I found one that was best for me. I just needed an instructor that could change to meet the learning style of an older student. (38 when I started flight training) Talk to the chief instructor about a switch. You are the customer. As in everything else, communications are important.

Do what you think is right for you and don't feel like you have to change flight schools. And there is no need for you to awkward about it. If your current CFI has a problem with it, well that's his/her problem.

No harm in switching instructors, I've done it many times for different reasons. Just give him a heads up and move on. I will do my IR with different CFI than the guy who finished me up for my private since he moved out of the area and is not a CFII. Also some instructors are better at teaching certain types like a Bonanza or Mooney instructor.

OP here.

Well I didn't change instructors and decided not to. I think him and I was just having a bad day or something. I gave him a few more training sessions and see if things improved. They have so I will keep him for now.

Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back