change planes mid-training

kwc98

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kwc98
Greetings,

I am training in a 172 that is all steam gauges, but the training center has a DA40 that is equipped with a G1000. I am thinking that if I were to rent after getting my PPL, I would prefer the DA40 (even though I have not actually flown one) I am also thinking my passenger (aka wife) would prefer something more modern.

There is a slight cost increase per hour for the DA40, but I am thinking that I would rather build my hours in what I would prefer to fly, rather than just getting a checkout in the DA40 once I have my PPL.

Thoughts anyone?
-Ken

If it's early in your training,it could be a good idea. If you don't mind the increased cost. Then you will feel more confident when you get your ticket.

Fly whatever you feel like flying.

That's pretty much the whole point. It's a hobby.

But there will be those who insist that changing airplanes will be less efficient, cost more, whatever. But, so what. Fly whatever you feel like flying.

You're VFR so it won't really matter about the avionics. Just make sure the day of your checkride you know your airplane systems. If you constantly are changing airplanes you have to be up to date on the systems. It will definitely be a little extra coin for the DA40 but if your fine with that,go for it.

You have A LOT more to learn in that G1000, and any of it is fair game on the checkride. Speaking as a systems engineer, Garmin seems to havd hired rabid monkeys to design their interface; there are at least three Bust the Pilot buttons. Worst for you is the Class B bust (VNAV) button, which will be ignored whenever your altitude bug is higher than your descent profile. Furthermore, next to none of the G1000 features are relevant for VFR.

Learn to fly in the simplest possible airplane. They all fly the same. Just, VFR, you need your eyes outside the airplane. No autopilot, no FMS, no GPS, no clearance recorder, no fancy weather or traffic display that occasionally lies to you, etc. Learn to fly the airplane.

You have A LOT more to learn in that G1000, and any of it is fair game on the checkride. Speaking as a systems engineer, Garmin seems to havd hired rabid monkeys to design their interface; there are at least three Bust the Pilot buttons. Worst for you is the Class B bust (VNAV) button, which will be ignored whenever your altitude bug is higher than your descent profile. Furthermore, next to none of the G1000 features are relevant for VFR.

Learn to fly in the simplest possible airplane. They all fly the same. Just, VFR, you need your eyes outside the airplane. No autopilot, no FMS, no GPS, no clearance recorder, no fancy weather or traffic display that occasionally lies to you, etc. Learn to fly the airplane.
I like this one.

I did all my training in C172s and recently flew a DA40 (steam, not G1000). I liked the visibility. but it seemed to land and takeoff flat. I don't know if it was the CFI I flew with but we rotated at 60kts and then had to fly in ground effect up to 75 to start the climb with the stall horn chirping all the way. The approach at 75kts was also with the stall horn chirping. I liked flying it overall but the t/o and landing just felt really odd.

Until you get the PPL, you won't understand the difference. Personally I would just finish in the aircraft you started with. Changing will set you back a bit...

Now, once you get the PPL, give the DA40 a try. g1000 aside, the DA40 is one of my favorites- sweet ride :)

If that's what you're going to fly after you get your certificate then switch. It may cost you a few extra hours to get acclimated, but why not. That's why I bought into a plane early in my training. I wanted to learn in what I was going to fly. Switching from a 140hp Warrior to a 235hp Cherokee Pathfinder wasn't an easy transition for someone with about 5 hours of time...but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Greetings,

I am training in a 172 that is all steam gauges, but the training center has a DA40 that is equipped with a G1000. I am thinking that if I were to rent after getting my PPL, I would prefer the DA40 (even though I have not actually flown one) I am also thinking my passenger (aka wife) would prefer something more modern.

There is a slight cost increase per hour for the DA40, but I am thinking that I would rather build my hours in what I would prefer to fly, rather than just getting a checkout in the DA40 once I have my PPL.

Thoughts anyone?
-Ken

Stay with the plane, or change to the plane you want to checkride in - then go out and fly what you really want...

I fly steam gauges because there are far more rentals available in my area with steAm gauges in my area. I never been checked out in gLass panel.

Greetings,

Thoughts anyone?
-Ken

My first thought as an experienced CFI, stay in the 172 till you get your license, ideally the exact 172, and stay with the same instructor, this always makes things easier.

After your PPL go up in the DA and see if you even like it, then go from there.

As for modern aircraft lol.. you'd do well to educate yourself and your wife on what makes a quality rental aircraft, year, fancy paint and interior ain't it.

One place I helped CFI at had a few planes, they had a late 2000 model 172S with airbags and all that BS, most of the Mid East students and the more affluent guys always rented it because it was new and looked "cool".

They also had a older warrior, 7/10 paint, 7/10 interior, but low hour airframe with about 200 SMOH, that warrior flew like a million bucks.
The 172S, on the other hand, was beyond TBO, and didn't track all that great due to all the abuse from the above mentioned Mid East and more money than brains folks.
The kicker was the warrior also rented out for LESS. :dunno:

Last edited:
If a DA20 is available, finish with that. You will learn real stick and rudder skills and it will be a lot cheaper than the DA40. I did my PPL in Warriors, DA20 and a steam gauge DA40. I knew that I wanted to buy a DA40 so I did my instrument rating in a G1000 DA40. I've been in a partnership on a DA40XL for the past three years and am closing in on 400 hours, almost 300 IFR. The G1000 will mean almost nothing to you until you start flying IFR so save your money now and when you want to earn your instrument rating, that's when I recommend you choose the G1000 equipped aircraft to learn in if you know that's what you'll be flying in the klag when you are instrument rated.

If you want to make the Diamond your regular ride later, making the change now is your long-term best bet -- the sooner, the better.

brian];1549435 said:
Until you get the PPL, you won't understand the difference. Personally I would just finish in the aircraft you started with. Changing will set you back a bit...

Now, once you get the PPL, give the DA40 a try. g1000 aside, the DA40 is one of my favorites- sweet ride :)
I agree with that. If there was a reason to switch and switching came early in the process it might make sense.

Also FWIW, I think most low time pilots would find it easier to transition to a different airplane shortly after their PPL checkride than mid way through training for two reasons. One is that with the ride out of the way they can focus solely on the transition and the other is that by the time they're certified they likely have accumulated enough flying experience in different conditions that the changes involved between airplanes will be easier to swallow.

I agree with that. If there was a reason to switch and switching came early in the process it might make sense.

Also FWIW, I think most low time pilots would find it easier to transition to a different airplane shortly after their PPL checkride than mid way through training for two reasons. One is that with the ride out of the way they can focus solely on the transition and the other is that by the time they're certified they likely have accumulated enough flying experience in different conditions that the changes involved between airplanes will be easier to swallow.

While I certainly agree that changing from one type to another fits this very well, changing to a TAA is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Almost any private pilot can transition a steam gauge 172 to a steam gauge PA28 in an hour or slightly more. I challenge any pilot who has never flown a G1000 to transition into one on that timescale. Even if you're proficient with a 430 (which will take a bite out of the learning curve), it takes a whole helluva lot more than that. And as a VFR pilot, the benefits to that cost are pretty weak. IFR is another story.

How far along are you in your training? If not too far along, in your place and assuming you can readily afford the increase, I would make the switch. You will gain competency in the airplane you will be putting your loved ones in.

Greetings,

Thoughts anyone?
-Ken

Go for it. The extra time for G1000 familiarization would be required for the checkout on the DA40 anyway and this way you will end up with that much more time in type with an instructor, which is good. Training in what you intend to fly is not a bad idea.

While I certainly agree that changing from one type to another fits this very well, changing to a TAA is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Almost any private pilot can transition a steam gauge 172 to a steam gauge PA28 in an hour or slightly more. I challenge any pilot who has never flown a G1000 to transition into one on that timescale. Even if you're proficient with a 430 (which will take a bite out of the learning curve), it takes a whole helluva lot more than that. And as a VFR pilot, the benefits to that cost are pretty weak. IFR is another story.

No need to challenge. Glass provides 50 instruments and tools in one screen and layers of menus. Steams are five instruments.

Last edited:
Go for it. The extra time for G1000 familiarization would be required for the checkout on the DA40 anyway and this way you will end up with that much more time in type with an instructor, which is good. Training in what you intend to fly is not a bad idea.

BTW, G1000 is not the only glass in the world. I have Dynon Skyviews and Garmin GPS. I will be moving to Garmin G3x and Garmin GTN 750 in the next plane. I will never see a G1000. They are old tech compared to the Dkyview and Garmin G3x.

Back