Change Fuel Tank Reminders and Messages

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
The Garmin 530 in the Arrow I used to rent would generate a message every so often to remind you to change fuel tanks.

Anybody know how that's programmed in?

Anybody know of any handy means for remembering to swap between tanks at a regular interval?

Thanks,

The engine quitting is usually a good reminder, when one wing gets heavy, that's another, clock/stopwatch/egg timer... All work.

The engine quitting is usually a good reminder, when one wing gets heavy, that's another, clock/stopwatch/egg timer... All work.

This. Monitor the minute hand on the clock on the panel. What ever side of the clock it points to, fly on that tank. When 0-30, fly on the right tank. When on 31-59, fly on the left tank.

Anybody know of any handy means for remembering to swap between tanks at a regular interval?

Thanks,
Interesting that the 400/500 series "sticky" timer is not in the 600/700 touchscreens. It was also in the x96 handheld serives.

Other means - I fly with an iPad and use Chronology. The timer can be set to pop-up a reminder loop automatically to the next period. There are probably others that do the same.

The Garmin 530 in the Arrow I used to rent would generate a message every so often to remind you to change fuel tanks.

Anybody know how that's programmed in?

Thanks,
Like Henning said, just buy a simple count down timer. My 496 is sent to remind me to change tanks every hour. It starts automatically when the plane starts moving.

This. Monitor the minute hand on the clock on the panel. What ever side of the clock it points to, fly on that tank. When 0-30, fly on the right tank. When on 31-59, fly on the left tank.

This is what I do, and everything I do is right, therefore this is the only correct method.

I just run my mains for an hour, then run my auxes till the engines sputter, then back to mains.

Outstanding idea
Works especially well with modern digital clocks without hands.
(but it IS an outstanding idea)

// Remember what your mom (and teacher) used to tell you about watching the clock?

Well, this is a good time to ignore their commands. DO watch the watch! It's a lifesaver //

:yes:

Simple is better. Aircraft configuration, fuel capacity and typical trip length are important to develop the easiest/slickest/safest methods. For example, I found that even the "longish" trips in the 210 required only one tank change--at the end of the first hour of flight. Most trips were less than three hours, which meant switching back to the left for landing wasn't necessary.

I'd guess Farlow would find the same applies to his 182 and allow him to eliminate much of the monkey motion with the selector.

I just run my mains for an hour, then run my auxes till the engines sputter, then back to mains.

In the 530 its in the aux section under schedulers I believe. Just set it up to remind you every 15, 20 or whatever you want. I have it set in all the 430/530 setups.

I use the count down timer in the 330 transponder when the preset time runs out it says time expired ( it's wired through the audio panel)

I did find a message scheduler in the 430. I set it for 20 minutes.

I'm thinking wet wing, switch frequently for even draw down and if a tank ever does develop a bad leak, I'll always have at least 1/2 my reserve to get back down.

I can program any kind of alert on my Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot. The trigger can be time, distance, location.
It's very helpful.

The clock in your panel WORKS?????!!!
Whoever heard of such a thing!

I used to have Mrs. Steingar give me 1/2 hour alerts when we flew together. Now the GPS does that, as another poster indicated, out of the box.

What is this "changing tanks" of which you speak? Civilized planes have a "Both" position :D.

and it works until you run out of fuel.

If you are not smart enough to switch tanks then you are not smart enough to fly on both. :)

I set a timer of time aloft and then switch in 60 minute intervals but if I forget it is impossible to not notice the heavy wing.

Yep if using both extended tanks I take off on left main switch to right aux run 15 gallons or about 1hr:10 min Till empty and then switch to left aux 1:10 then switch to right main run it for 30 gallons or 2 hrs: 20 minutes and then switch back to main left to land. About six hours and I need to be landing some place or another.

ON the auxes the wing gets heavy when one is 15 gallons more than the otherside so its not hard to remember. The mains do not get so heavy because of the short arm. I run tanks till empty for fuel management (unless landing or maneuvering). By the time I have 3 empty tanks I have been aloft for nearly 5 hrs and have 2 hrs left in the left main.

I have four....

Outstanding idea
Works especially well with modern digital clocks without hands.
(but it IS an outstanding idea)

My wife bought me analog watch with hands because it was "aviation" watch. Now you know why: Cherokees!

-- Pete

By the way, I really do start feeling one wing heavier in Cherokee and Arrow after about half an hour on one side. For that reason I typically try to burn more off the left tank for the airplane to feel natural.

Back