Challenge after challenge, but finally a pilot!

V1-Vr-V2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
V1-Vr-V2
First off, my apologies for the length. Settle in for a long read or skip to the TLDR part and pic at the end, I suppose. :)

Back in July, I recounted my first solo here on the PoA forums. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61464 It was definitely a great feeling but getting to the finish line has been like pulling teeth! :mad2:

Technically, I had met all of my requirements back in September and was gearing up to take the FAA written and CR. Side note: I really didn't have a good reason for putting the written exam off until well into my training other than I was traveling a lot for work at the time and fitting it in was problematic. Lesson learned: Don't put it off too long. As I neared the last week of September, I had it all planned out; I'd take the written on the following Monday followed by my CR on Thursday of that same week. Enter cram mode. :) Then, I got the news on the Friday before my test that because of the government shutdown, there would be no testing for the duration. Great - Call number one to the DPE to cancel. We left the schedule open-ended based on when the government got their act back together. Strike one for me.

Finally, the shutdown ended and I was able to get the written rescheduled. I took the test one rainy morning at KBDU and managed a 98 - missing one question. All in all, things were looking up. I worked with the DPE's schedule and was back on the book for three weeks out. Plenty of time to get some more flying in and study, study, study. Then in late October, the news that due to a merger, the position with the IT company I had held for the past 6 years was being eliminated effective immediately. I figured that the proverbial "other shoe" had now dropped. Strike two for me. But - I tried to keep positive and took solace in knowing that 1) my flying money was already set aside and still appropriately earmarked, 2) my wife still had an excellent job, and 3) now I had PLENTY of time to study and do well on the CR, so I kept plodding forward.

Enter challenge #3: The week of the CR I heard from my CFI. 78L, the PA-28-180 I had been training in was down for its 100 hr and while they were doing the work, they found several parts that needed replacement. The bad news was that the schedule horizon for the repair work was 2-3 weeks out. Call number two to the DPE to reschedule.

While it wasn't my CFI's fault that 78L (his plane) was down for such a long, inopportune time, he took mercy on me and offered to check me out in the flight school's 172's and not charge me for his time. I had intended to do this anyhow so I jumped at the chance - and, since I no longer had a job to fill up my schedule, finding the time to fly was easy. :) He and I went up twice in the 180hp 172N and I did an hour solo and with around 3.3 total time in type, my CR was upon us and it was time to test my mettle.

< Checkride part >

The Oral Exam:
Which leads us to today. I met Andy (Yes, the DPE of youtube fame http://youtu.be/zVE-gIeZUpk) at noon at LMO and we started by going through the paperwork - a review of my logbook, checking my medical, completing the IACRA, etc. All of this took about an hour, plus quite a bit of time shooting the breeze. In fact, he did an excellent job of calming any nerves I had and really making me feel comfortable. I think a lot of this about his personality came off in the youtube video which is one of the reasons I chose to use him as a DPE.

He reviewed the required "legalese" and we started into the Oral Exam. He asked me the expected questions about currency, had me review an airport diagram, we reviewed aeromedical factors (altitude and hypoxia in particular, this is Colorado after all), and we also discussed airworthiness - but not near as much as I had feared - and several other topics. For this Q&A part of the Oral he used scenario-based questions which made it easy to see the practical application of the FARs and also made answering very conversational and easy.

We then reviewed the VFR cross country flight plan I had created and the weight and balance for that flight. I showed him my route on the sectional and he asked me maybe three questions about "what airspace are we in here and what are the requirements" (I had planned to stay under the Denver Class Bravo so I described that and why) and we briefly discussed an MOA south of the route and what it meant. For the 2-3 hours of effort I had put into the VFR XC plan, we discussed it for maybe 5 minutes, but that was fine by me. :yes:

After about 45 or so minutes of the Oral, he abruptly stopped, shook my hand, and said "I could keep asking you questions all day but it's pretty apparent that you know your stuff. Let's go fly." And with that, the part I had the most anxiety about was over.

The Practical Exam:
As we wrapped up the Oral, Andy briefed me on basically what to expect for the practical: PTS maneuvers, a go-around, short and soft field takeoffs and landings, normal takeoff, forward slip, and emergencies. That really helped and ensured that there were going to be no surprises. I liked that. :)

I did the preflight while Andy waited - mostly from a distance - he definitely wasn't critiquing every move or action which was nice. Once onboard, I briefed him on the required passenger items and we cranked up the plane. For the first time in a long time, the winds were being very cooperative - right down the runway at a nice, gentle 3 knots. We did a normal takeoff from LMO's runway 11 and started on my VFR XC, for which the first checkpoint was 6 miles just off of our 11 o'clock after departure. I overflew checkpoint one and showed him where I could see checkpoints two and three (a town and a lake respectively). We were maybe 8 minutes into my hypothetical XC. "OK, good enough. Take me direct to Cheyenne on the GNS 430" he said. I dialed it up and we turned direct KCYS.

That foray into radio navigation lasted about one minute and he informed me that we had a simulated a cabin fire. I took the appropriate actions and we dropped down a few hundred feet before he asked me to recover and go into a steep turn. I got to pick the direction so I did a cleaning turn and went into the steep turn to the left. I managed to maintain altitude about the best that I had to date but at one point wasn't quite to 45 degrees so Andy very politely encouraged me to steepen the bank angle and I did. We followed that with slow flight and a power on and power off stall - both to aerodynamic buffet only, pretty straightforward.

Following the steep turns and stalls, we did a simulated engine-out descent and the ol "pick a field" for an off-airport landing. I did pretty well but my very low time in type left me pretty high for the spot I chose - the 172 doesn't sink like a rock as with the PA-28. In fact, I had enough room to execute a 360 and ended up perfectly for the freshly plowed field I had identified. I later found out in the debrief that this was the one place I fell short on my ride: While doing the simulated engine out, I managed to get through the "A, B, C's" (airspeed, best field, checklist) perfectly fine but should have kept going to the "D, E" part as I failed to declare on 121.5 or whatever ATC facility / UNICOM I could reach. I hadn't practiced that part before so it was a good thing to know but not a bust by any means.

With the simulated engine out we were now low enough to do some ground reference maneuvers - which turned out to just be one time around a point. Easy peasy. From there, we went back to LMO for the various required landings. The pattern was the busiest I had heard it before: two planes inbound plus us, a flight of 3 on base for a low pass, and one more guy in the pattern - highly unusual for 3:00 pm on a Thursday afternoon but if Murphy's Law can strike, it will. Faced with a busy scene of a lot of airplanes and a flight of 3 about to do a low pass, I elected to do a 360 north of the airport to 1) figure out where in the heck everybody was, and 2) add some separation for the flight of 3 and the other inbounds. In the debrief, the DPE used this decision as an example of great aeronautical decision making so I was happy - and it worked out well.

In the pattern now we did a short field landing with a stop and go into a short field takeoff. The landing was horrible and I skipped a bit but managed to hit my aiming point - not graceful but passable. The next time around we did a normal landing (perhaps he could tell I needed a confidence boost after the previous landing) to a stop and go and immediately into a soft field takeoff. Here, I nailed it - remained in ground effect, climbed out, got the flaps out, etc all just like I had practiced. The next trip around the pattern was our go-around which he called at about 400' AGL on final - no biggie, full power, first notch of flaps up, positive rate, etc. etc.

While turning crosswind, he informed me that the next landing could be to a full stop which were the magic words - meaning we were almost done! :) Fortunately, we had saved the soft field landing for last so I got one more chance to redeem myself and floated it down reasonably well and maintained my nose-up attitude just fine. I cleared the runway at A2 and taxied pretty much straight ahead to the parking spot. I shut down the engine and he asked me: "Do you know what you and Angelina Jolie have in common?" Which struck me as a bit non sequitur so I replied, "No, what's that?". "You're both pilots. Congratulations.", he said as he shook my hand. And with that a journey I first set out on 18 years ago was complete. Total time logged for the practical exam portion, 1.0 hours. :)

The debrief:
It came as somewhat of a surprise that I had done much better than I thought I had done (especially considering some of my landings!). In fact, Andy said that my performance on the Oral was probably the best he'd seen - there was just one small thing I mixed up: the airworthiness needs to be visible to passengers/crew, not the reg - I misspoke and said the opposite of what I meant. The kicker was that what prompted my response was the inclination to give more information than was necessary - and it came back to bite me. Lesson: No matter how much you know and want to show the DPE you know, only answer the question that was asked. He also had positive comments about my flying which surprised me because of the aforementioned landings. All in all, it was a great experience and I can't wait to go flying now as a private pilot!

TLDR: The Oral exam ended up way easier than I had expected / Practical exam portion straightforward / Andy, my DPE, was thorough, fair, and very personable - I highly recommend him. Great experience and I'm finally a pilot!

10973961464_17c60feb53_c.jpg

Last edited:
Love the write-up, and congrats! VERY similar to my situation last week. About the biggest difference, my DPE called for a go-around so late that the mains touched the grass... I got to log a landing out of it!

I think that a lot of us have found that once it's over, the practical test is not nearly as bad as we thought it would be. Preparation is very important(obviously you were well prepared) and it helps to have a good examiner. I watched Andy's video twice and took notes before my practical test. To me he seems like a great guy. My examiner had a similar demeanor.

Again, congratulations. Being "finished" sure is a great feeling.

Well done. Great write up! Welcome to the club.

Nice work. I wish Andy could do my CFI practical. What was your total time to get your certificate if I may ask? You sound like you were very prepared for the ride.

Thanks all! I'm still pinching myself today... "I'm a pilot!" I keep thinking. :)

Nice work. I wish Andy could do my CFI practical. What was your total time to get your certificate if I may ask? You sound like you were very prepared for the ride.

You know, I meant to tabulate that and put it on my original post but neglected to do so. So, thanks for reminding me! Here's what I have:

10.5 hours logged back pre 2002. (These were pretty much useless since they were dual in a 150/152 and had nothing toward the FAR requirements for solo, instrument, night, etc.)

Since starting this process in earnest though, basically in March of this year:

35.1 Dual received in the PA-28-180
10.2 Solo in the PA-28-180
-----
45.3 hours in the Cherokee prior to transitioning to the Cessna 172
Rough cost of training in the PA-28-180: $6,036

+

Cessna transition:
2.7 Dual received in the C172N
1.0 Solo in the C172N
-----
3.7 at a cost of $429.00 (Instruction was free)
========

Total time for training: 49.0 (excluding the 10.5 from the early 2000's)
Total cost for taining: $6,465ish (excluding the 10.5 hours from the early 2000's and checkride fee, written fee, and medical)

Last edited:
Awesome write-up and details. Congratuations! I've watched Andy's video a time or three myself, and I can almost hear him saying those words to you..."Dude....your ABC checklist on the engine out was nicely done and copacetic, but what happened to the letters 'D' and 'E'???" :rofl:

Definitely time for the Christmas/Hanukah/Holiday Season Colorado POA get together, VFR weather only (or dinner someplace) so that our newly minted pilots/folks who've moved here/whatever can be celebrated by the rest of us.

You got 56 hours in a Cherokee for under $5k?

That's $90/hr and it looks like you didn't have to pay for your instructor either :)

He's not counting the 10.5 hours from the early 2000s in his total cost.

Either way, the total cost seems cheap, unless he did get a free instructor as you allude to.

momalley.....I can't help it, every time I see your screen name I think of the Metallica song "Hero of the Day". The lyric is "mama they try and break me" but I think they're saying "momalley try and break me" hahah.

Don't ask, I can't explain some of the sht I come up with :lol:

Total cost: $5,459ish (excluding the 10.5 hours from the early 2000's and checkride fee, written fee, and medical)

Wow! Your preparedness literally paid off. I paid probably 1.5x that much for PASEL (G1000 172). I know where I train now that they qoute 11k for PASEL in a warrior, yikes!

You got 56 hours in a Cherokee for under $5k?

That's $90/hr and it looks like you didn't have to pay for your instructor either :)

Ahhh, yes - you're correct. (that's what I get for late night spreadsheet entry!). That total was just for instruction and the plane. Take into account the solo time in the PA28 and it adds a grand to the total. But, overall it was still within what I was expecting to spend. Thanks for catching that!

Congratulations! What a trip, sounds like a Hero's Journey!

Way to go, doesn't it feel great? I'm a late bloomer at 58, got my ticket in August with 60 hours, and VERY happy about it!

You did very well, now enjoy!

winging around FL,

AH

Thanks all! I'm still pinching myself today... "I'm a pilot!" I keep thinking. :)

You know, I meant to tabulate that and put it on my original post but neglected to do so. So, thanks for reminding me! Here's what I have:

10.5 hours logged back pre 2002. (These were pretty much useless since they were dual in a 150/152 and had nothing toward the FAR requirements for solo, instrument, night, etc.)

Since starting this process in earnest though, basically in March of this year:

35.1 Dual received in the PA-28-180
10.2 Solo in the PA-28-180
-----
45.3 hours in the Cherokee prior to transitioning to the Cessna 172
Rough cost of training in the PA-28-180: $6,036

+

Cessna transition:
2.7 Dual received in the C172N
1.0 Solo in the C172N
-----
3.7 at a cost of $429.00 (Instruction was free)
========

Total time for training: 49.0 (excluding the 10.5 from the early 2000's)
Total cost for taining: $6,465ish (excluding the 10.5 hours from the early 2000's and checkride fee, written fee, and medical)

Congrats!!

...I've seen some youtube videos of your DPE talking through his checkride process and common mistakes folks make with him. Hopefully you made it to one of these or saw the videos in advance. He seems like a very cool and fair guy.

Congrats!!!

Thanks again, all!

You flew in a Cessna and a Piper. What was your favorite plane to train in?
To me, the Cessnas seemed easier to land. Don't know why, but that was just my personal opinion. They also climb better out here (elevation >5,000+ MSL) when compared to a similar-horsepowered Cherokee (I flew a '67 PA-28-180 hp and a '78 172N w/ a 180 hp Penn Yann conversion). The latter climbs relatively well even at higher DAs, the Cherokee 180 can be anemic at times with anybody other than myself onboard. But, that said, I loved flying the Cherokee and forged a special bond with her... mostly during a single day 17.3 hour trip from central Florida to Colorado with my CFI, but that's a different story. :)

...I've seen some youtube videos of your DPE talking through his checkride process and common mistakes folks make with him. Hopefully you made it to one of these or saw the videos in advance. He seems like a very cool and fair guy.
Your assessment is spot on - Andy is a stand-up guy for sure. I really enjoyed flying with him and found him extremely fair. I did see the video prior to taking my ride and was there in person for his instrument talk a few months ago. Both were extremely helpful!

Congrats and welcome to this crazy concoction of calamitous crazy people and their flying machines.

Back