CFI's wanting to build time

studentpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
studentpilot
I don't know if this is appropriate to ask, but I have access to a plane in the central valley of California. The owner/pilot is very busy being a commercial pilot etc. Are there any CFI's that are trying to build time that would like to go flying?

Is the owner your CFI? If so, have him give you a solo endorsement for a few airports and go fly.

Yes, SkyDog58, the owner is a CFII. In the early 90's I started taking lessons at a flight school. Where I was flying at the time (I had solo endorsement), a young man who was a CFI (not my CFI) was trying to build time. He told me that any time I did not mind having company that he would like to fly along so he could log the time and give me a few pointers. It only worked out a few times but when the current opportunity popped up, it occurred to me that I might be able to help someone out. I am not looking for an hour or two flight, but 3 or 4 hours at a time to just go have some fun in the sky and visiting some interesting airports and get some pointers in the process. I want to earn my PPL, but if I can get up and enjoy a morning, afternoon or weekend flight in between my training, that would be great for me and hopefully good for someone else as well.

I don't know if this is appropriate to ask, but I have access to a plane in the central valley of California. The owner/pilot is very busy being a commercial pilot etc. Are there any CFI's that are trying to build time that would like to go flying?

I hope you aren’t suggesting a CFI give you free flight lessons in exchange for PIC time.

I hope you aren’t suggesting a CFI give you free flight lessons in exchange for PIC time.
Nothing illegal about it, the CFI doesn’t *have* to be compensated for their time.

Look for 70+ yr old cfis. Just happy to go flying and get away from the old nag ymmv

A lot of CFIs around here are doing it only for the purpose of building time.

Taking on PIC responsibilities does mean something, but does just riding along really a valuable experience worth putting in one's logbook? There was a recent accident with a CFI on board who said was just along for the ride. In the right seat was a new private pilot building time. They ran out of fuel and landed on a road. Everyone walked away, but the aircraft was totalled. Interestingly, the FAA did not go after the CFI. I am curious, had the filght ended well, would the CFI put that in his logbook as instruction given (regardless of paid or not)?

A lot of CFIs around here are doing it only for the purpose of building time.

They should broaden their horizons and seek out better flight schools to work for. No reason for anyone to be riding for free in this environment. I’m a newer CFI and I could go full time (60-80 hours a month of flight time) if I wanted too because we’ve got so much work.

Heck, I’ll go further. Any CFI working for $15-$20 an hour at this point, even for a school that takes their cut, is getting scammed.

Seems like the pilot mill guys are most prone to being taken advantage of. Wonder what poverty wages ATP is paying at this point?

They should broaden their horizons and seek out better flight schools to work for. No reason for anyone to be riding for free in this environment. I’m a newer CFI and I could go full time (60-80 hours a month of flight time) if I wanted too because we’ve got so much work.

Heck, I’ll go further. Any CFI working for $15-$20 an hour at this point, even for a school that takes their cut, is getting scammed.

Seems like the pilot mill guys are most prone to being taken advantage of. Wonder what poverty wages ATP is paying at this point?
I remember when you could get a CFI for real cheap for Multi training. They wanted those hours real bad. Wonder if that's still going on? Is the multi requirement still what it was many years ago?

I remember when you could get a CFI for real cheap for Multi training. They wanted those hours real bad. Wonder if that's still going on? Is the multi requirement still what it was many years ago?

Multi-training has become mostly accelerated courses at bigger schools because of the lack of availability of planes and insurance requirements. MEIs with those gigs are getting a bunch of time quickly.

Multi time was valuable back when the job market was tighter (many years ago now) and employers were requiring a fair amount of multi time to be considered for a position. The number of multiengine hours required for jobs right now is low so instructors aren't as obsessed with getting those hours the way they were.

So 70+ yr old CFIs are idiots? They've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know.

I think he means in terms of how they skewed the market, not their knowledge. CFIs riding for free or poverty wages hurt working CFIs charging a fair price.

It’s a free country, though, so I’m not suggesting someone can’t ride for free if that’s what they really want to do. I just wouldn’t and there’s so much demand, there’s no reason to.

Central Ca is pretty big. Where is plane located? What type of airplane you talking about?

So 70+ yr old CFIs are idiots? They've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Rather certain most are smart enough not to pay $60 for a tank of gas to give some cheap ass free flight lessons.

Rather certain most are smart enough not to pay $60 for a tank of gas to give some cheap ass free flight lessons.
That’s not what the OP requested, but don’t let that stop you from telling others what they should do.

That’s not what the OP requested, but don’t let that stop you from telling others what they should do.

Weren’t you working on your CFI? You can be the guy providing free instruction and using your gas to get to the airport when you get the certificate in exchange for flight hours. Just make sure you pay for non owned CFI insurance policy too.

Weren’t you working on your CFI? You can be the guy providing free instruction and using your gas to get to the airport when you get the certificate in exchange for flight hours. Just make sure you pay for CFI insurance too.
I might come to your town for the summer.

Not every person with a CFI is looking for hours. Some of us enjoy flying, being part of the aviation community and sharing it with others. What about the CFI teaching their spouse/kid/friend to fly? Am I neglecting pro lanscapers everytime I mow my own lawn or my Mothers lawn? Where is the line?

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply - kind of what I expected ;). Just noticed my profile image. Yikes! I misgendered myself. Confusing times I guess. In regard to my original post, it was a genuine offer and I was curious what the community thought. Lots of fun places to fly on beautiful spring days and cool summer mornings. I am not looking to take advantage of anyone. As stated, I have a CFI and I am in no real hurry for my PPL. At this point in my life, flying is what I would like to do more of and flying with someone else who shares that interest or wants to build time might prove beneficial for the both of us. As an aside, no one I know wants to fly in a small plane.

To stickwiglr; KSCK, 172.

Back