CFIs, any advice?

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
I am thinking I might join what I suspect is a very small club... thinking about getting my Sport Pilot CFI (CFI-S) cert. For the CFIs here, any advice on getting the FOI and written exam stuff done? I downloaded the FAA PDF; it doesn't look that bad.

The important barriers for me are removed -- no Commercial ticket or medical. I had flown from the right seat once and the result was not encouraging. The flying was not bad, but the landing was. Yesterday I went up with a CFI/DPE who coached me through it, and by our third time around I was getting used to it. The fifth landing was actually pretty good. It's an inconvenience having the panel over on the other side, but not a huge deal.

I fly an E-LSA, so I have no immediate plans to give paid instruction. It would just be nice to have the ticket... it's somewhat unusual (the NAFI people I met at Oshkosh had never seen one), a new skill, and a new standard of flying. Instead of just giving Young Eagles a ride, I could put them in the left seat and they could count it as actual instruction received. Big whoop, I know. And, it opens the door for more if I ever pick up a Cub or Champ or something. Plus I could give my partner his flight reviews every couple of years.

Wikipedia and some other non aviation sources helped with with the FOI, the FAA stuff explains it pretty well, but not nearly as well as other non aviation sources.

As far as the FOI, between the Aviation Instructor's Handbook (free online) and the Dauntless iPad app (I'm not affiliated in any way) I was able to knock out the written test in a few weeks of real study. I didn't immediately pursue CFI (sport or otherwise) so ended up getting my AGI so I wouldn't have to take the FOI again if/when I continue down that path.

I used the Gliem books ,and took the written. Did well ,but didn’t take the flight test.

A lot of the FOI stuff is common sense. The study material is very dry though. I used the Flight Instructor’s Handbook to study for the FOI.

FOI the FAA book is fine. It’ll bore you to death but it’s fine. And the information in it is actually useful to real world application as you start to figure it out. But the written is just memorization.

Written, I can’t imagine you having much trouble with it from any material you use if you’re already a certificated pilot.

Some people like Sheppard for the drilling. I do, but I don’t use it as a single method of study and don’t think anyone HAS to use it or stuff like it designed to teach to the test. I just found it helped with knowing what the score was likely to be. Other people like Dauntless. And others like Gleim (which I’ve also used just fine in the past for other writtens). And of course King is good if you need video. As is Sporty’s.

I’ll reference anything if it’s available. I like seeing the different styles. But I didn’t buy all of them. Many schools will have an old bookshelf full of stuff that may be mildly outdated but the basics never change.

FAA books really are all you actually “need” for any test, but a lot of other books flesh out things better.

Back