CFII Initial

Ahh gotcha. I didn't realize one needed to take one of the ground instructor tests to be eligible for goal seal. Thanks for clarifying :)

I think you are under estimating the training time doe the CFII. I was told 15hrs for it roughly but I only did 11 for CFI. I think there is just more in the II... So its still more hours.

Ahh gotcha. I didn't realize one needed to take one of the ground instructor tests to be eligible for goal seal. Thanks for clarifying :)

I think you are under estimating the training time doe the CFII. I was told 15hrs for it roughly but I only did 11 for CFI. I think there is just more in the II... So its still more hours.

You should do it.. take the AGI back to back with II written.

AGI is very similar to commercial and CFI, IFR and II are from similar banks as well.

I want to be a CFII.

I can do this one of two ways. I'm listing flight time only here because the ground time, study time and cost of the written exams is the same either path.

Path A: Take the CFI-ASE Initial with the FSDO and then add on CFII with a local DPE.
A complex airplane must be used for the initial checkride with the fsdo, and it does not make sense to take two airplanes to the fsdo, so I would do this in an M20J at $165/hr. Training, the trip to the fsdo for the checkride plus the checkride itself will be about 15 hours of hobbs time. I would then need to add on the CFII which can be done in a warrior. Figure 5 hours of flight time at $100/hr

So for Path A I will need to purchase 15 hours in the M20J (CFI with FSDO) and 5 hours in the PA-28 (CFII add on with DPE). Total cost $2975

Path B - Take the CFII initial ride with the FSDO and then add on the CFI-ASE with a DPE at my home field. I will not need a complex airplane for the CFII initial. I will do the entire CFII initial checkride in a warrior, I will need to purchase approximately 15 hours of PA28 time for this checkride.

Next (still path B here, focus) I will need to do the CFI-ASE add on checkride at my home field with a DPE. My DPE has already said that I can do all of the maneuvers in the PA-28 and I will only need to take a lap in the pattern in the M20J. I will need about 5 hours PA28 time and 1 hour M20J time.

Total cost for path B: 20 hrs PA28 and 1 hour M20J = $2100

Perhaps I was being dense, but what you wrote here makes more sense now.

15 hrs for inital and 5 for an add on is certainly doable. It all depends how current you are on instruments, commercial maneuvers and teaching. You will spend a lot more time than that on the ground, and preparing.

Make sure your FSDO is onboard, before you start.

I do know a guy that did 90% of his CFI initial, and then went back up and had to do them all over again in the complex plane. (He hadn't practiced in it)... This was with the KC FSDO years ago, when CFI initials took a couple tries.

...I do know a guy that did 90% of his CFI initial, and then went back up and had to do them all over again in the complex plane. (He hadn't practiced in it)... This was with the KC FSDO years ago, when CFI initials took a couple tries.

It really hasn't changed in years. Many pilots with their commercial certificates think the CFI is a cake walk.

They may be exceptional stick-and-rudder guys, but if they cannot TEACH in the airplane, they will bust the CFI ride. The FSDO inspector that I did my CFI check with told me a story of a guy that he did a CFI ride with that did some excellent ground lessons, but in the airplane barely spoke a word.

You can guess the result. Bust. IIRC, the initial CFI pass rate is still at like 70% +/-.

Mike

It really hasn't changed in years. Many pilots with their commercial certificates think the CFI is a cake walk.

They may be exceptional stick-and-rudder guys, but if they cannot TEACH in the airplane, they will bust the CFI ride. The FSDO inspector that I did my CFI check with told me a story of a guy that he did a CFI ride with that did some excellent ground lessons, but in the airplane barely spoke a word.

You can guess the result. Bust. IIRC, the initial CFI pass rate is still at like 70% +/-.

Mike

True,
I found the flying to be the easy part. Teaching and flying, or ground? That was the challenge.

AGI is very similar to commercial and CFI, IFR and II are from similar banks as well.
AGI is similar to CP-A and CFI-A. IGI is similar to IR-A and CFI-I. Don't study instruments and then go take the AGI unless you like surprises. Ditto studying commercial pilot and taking the IGI.

Make sure your FSDO is onboard, before you start.

I do know a guy that did 90% of his CFI initial, and then went back up and had to do them all over again in the complex plane. (He hadn't practiced in it)...
Right -- it is within their authority to make you do any/all tasks in either airplane you bring to the party. Caveat applicant. And that's another reason I recommend against this idea.

Also, there's no guarantee you'll be able to do the additional rating with a DPE -- that's strictly a function of FSDO workload, and they have the option to require you to come back to them if they're not busy that week (unlikely, but theoretically possible).

Also, there's no guarantee you'll be able to do the additional rating with a DPE -- that's strictly a function of FSDO workload, and they have the option to require you to come back to them if they're not busy that week (unlikely, but theoretically possible).

Add on CFI rides never have to go thru the FSDO, unless things have changed in the last 2 years. Additionally, find the right FSDO, the initial isn't going to be with the FSDO either.

Add on CFI rides never have to go thru the FSDO, unless things have changed in the last 2 years. Additionally, find the right FSDO, the initial isn't going to be with the FSDO either.
Maybe not where you are, but that's not a universal truth either way -- depends on FSDO workload and number of DPE's.

The reason I've heard lately is to avoid FSDO inspection of the complex airplane... they're getting harder and harder to find for rent, and those that are rented may not survive the type of inspections some FSDOs give on an initial ride. So folks go and take the CFII ride with the FSDO in a 172 and very shortly afterwards take the CFI ride with a DPE in a complex airplane.

Maybe not where you are, but that's not a universal truth either way -- depends on FSDO workload and number of DPE's.

Point out one FSDO that requires you to do an addon CFI thru the FSDO.

Point out one FSDO that requires you to do an addon CFI thru the FSDO.
I can't tell you which FSDO's did them, but the FSDO's did 173 additional CFI rating practical tests last year. Of course, that's only about 5% of the total, but that's the FAA's own statistics. So, it's likely you'll do an additional rating with a DPE, but not guaranteed. And FWIW, the FSDO pass rate was 80% while the DPE pass rate was over 90%.

I can't tell you which FSDO's did them, but the FSDO's did 173 additional CFI rating practical tests last year. Of course, that's only about 5% of the total, but that's the FAA's own statistics. So, it's likely you'll do an additional rating with a DPE, but not guaranteed. And FWIW, the FSDO pass rate was 80% while the DPE pass rate was over 90%.

The FSDO's don't require applicants for additional CFI ratings to contact them before applying to a DPE.

Those additional CFI rating numbers entail many things. I did a few as an Inspector, mainly giving other Inspectors a rating, such as when a Helicopter Inspector adds an Helicopter-Instrument to his CFI to perform a job function as an example.

Also some of those rides were acquired for other various reasons such as a Part 141 with self examining authority, the POI may go out and give a checkride to check the quality of the applicant and see how well the program is working. In that reguard then yes, an applicant may get a Inspector ride when he was expecting the school examiner to give it.

Back