CFI

skyhawk1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skyhawk1
I am studying for my CFI, but must consider if I am just wasting money. I am retired and looking for something to do other than sit around.

What do some of you guy's think?

Just like the other thread about how much it cost for the guy to get his PPL. You gotta choose a hobby and invest in it. You like flying and teaching...CFI would suit you just fine. I personally don't have the tolerance to teach.

I got my CFI in college and instructed a grand total of 187 hours before not flying at all for 10+ years. It was still worth it, but it didn't put me in the toilet, financially speaking. IMO, wasting money is fine if you have it to waste.

What the flight training community lacks is instructors with a lot of experience, both flying and teaching. If you can fill that bill, then it can be a great semi-retired job, as it is for me. In my case, it pays for me to keep and fly my Tiger 150 or so hours a year, split between business (flying to training jobs) and pleasure.

If you love to teach and do not have to rely on it for survival, there's nothing better than sharing your passion for flying with others. I'll instruct as long as I possibly can.

I am studying for my CFI, but must consider if I am just wasting money. I am retired and looking for something to do other than sit around.

What do some of you guy's think?

If you are asking that, CFI probably isnt for you, maybe a glider rating or something might be better for you.

Seems like a pretty good way to fly a little on someone else's dime, if nothing else. If money's a serious concern, don't do it unless you figure you might break even at some point.
But we're all be better off if those who pursue the CFI actually like to teach, and are pretty good at it.

Go for it. I lost two instructors so far during my training. Instructing was just part of their journey. My new instructor seems to be around for the long haul as an instructor. I think it would be good for students to have expeienced instructors.

If the training ain't sucking you dry and is keeping you off the couch keep going. As for using the CFI, not needing to is key to not burning out. Much depends on personality and what local opportunities you have. If the only option is to work at a flight school with a jerk running it, the couch is a better use of your time.
Just beware if it starts feeling like a job you might want to quit or dial it down a bit so as not to burn out on flying.

Back