CFI written tests - some require instructor signoff?

scooter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scooter
I'm getting ready to take the initial CFI written.

Looking at the FAA matrix (http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf), it seems I can take that test (code FIA) without any kind of instructor endorsement/signoff.

Looking ahead to when I add on the instructor instrument airplane rating (additional rating test code AIF), the matrix says I actually need an instructor signoff to take that written test.

That makes no sense to me...why would a written test for an additional rating require a signoff, whereas the test for the initial instructor rating does not require a signoff?

you want the FII exam. and do the IGI too while your at it, and the AGI. Needed for Gold Seal. Same questions bank (OK, ALMOST the same..)

You'd be taking the FII test for your CFI-Instrument Airplane rating. The AIF is for if you already had a CFI-Instrument rating in some other type of aircraft (i.e. CFI-Instrument Helicopter).

So you'll see that there is no endorsement required for that test.

I have no idea why you would have to have an endorsement to take the AIF test though, if you were already a CFI-Instrument Helicopter and had therefore passed the FIH test. The matrix is really confusing, though - Page 8 says that there is no authorization required for "tests listed above" of which AIF is one of them, but then the next page explicitly requires an endorsement for the AIF.

Back