CFI Uniforms

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Are there any other flight schools out there besides the "name brand" schools like PanAm, Comair Academy, FSI, etc. that require their flight instructors to wear a full pilot uniform (pilot shirt with tie, wings, and epaulets)?

Panorama requires all of their CFI's to wear the entire uniform, and the CFI I flew with for most of my primary training always used to joke about how stupid it looks (which we dubbed the monkey suit). On top of that, some of the CFI's at the school wear three stripes and some wear four, and most of the CFI's don't quite understand the different designation in rank by number of stripes in a flight school. According to industry standard, my CFI is an FO since he was issued three-stripe epaulets.

Just a random question...

Jones Aviation at SRQ used to make CFIs where the same logo polo shirt. But Jones got rid of their flight training department when the new owners took over.

Frederick Flight Center does - and while it seemed dorky at first, everyone adjusted and they look more polished in my opinion. And since they're uniforms, they're tax deductible.

Our school tried to institute a uniform thing, though they mainly wanted ties. Well, long pants and etc., uniform shirts would be "nice." Ok, ok, I leave out that the rules applied only to male CFIs. The women CFIs were allowed to wear shorts, etc., summer time.

Didn't matter to me or a couple other guys. I just told the boss to forget it, I'd never wear a tie in my time on earth unless someone stuck one on my corpse after I was dead and couldn't stop it. The boss would meet me out in the parking lot in the a.m. and ask, now and then, "Man, what can I do to make you wear a tie, that's the only rule I'll ask for you, just the tie." I said, well, go to sleep tonight and wake up in a parallel universe. Then, maybe.

I never, ever did, and flew probably more than any two other CFIs at the school, most times. After I left [ten yr. into it], the boss contacted me probably twenty times in six months, asking me to come back to work there.

The neck tie and epaulets and the like are only for show, they have no purpose, they are decoration, they are retarded. Of course, if someone wanted to wear them, no big deal to me. But such items are just attempts to make someone appear "professional" and usually mean they are not. [Yes, I can imagine the responses I'll get on that.]

Once, at the school, after the "tie" rule went into effect, a fellow came into the school looking to take lessons for Private. He had another guy with him, turns out the student-to-be was a reasonably high person in gov't, the guy was to protect him. They both were dressed to the nines, etc. There were maybe a dozen CFIs standing around, and the new student veered over to me, the only one without a tie and said, "I want this guy right here." Later, after we'd become friendly, I asked him why he chose me out of the crowd that day, and he said that he'd dealt with a lot of people, and he figured I was into flying to teach and was a few yr. older than the others [mid 30s at the time], and was the only one who didn't look like an idiot with the tie and epaulets. He sent me a number of co-workers over the yr. who needed a CFI.

Last edited:
United Flight Systems at Hooks Airport makes their CFI's wear them, as does the flight school at West Houston Airport. To be honest, I think it does make them look a bit more professional, and I can see how that would be appealing to newcomers. At the school I wound up learning at, the CFI uniform was just a polo shirt with the school's logo - they could wear khakhi shorts or pants with it.

The neck tie and epaulets and the like are only for show, they have no purpose, they are decoration, they are retarded. Of course, if someone wanted to wear them, no big deal to me. But such items are just attempts to make someone appear "professional" and usually mean they are not.

A-freakin'-men to that. :yes:

The only CFI I've ever flown with who wore a tie was also the worst I've ever flown with.

But boy, did that tie make him look professional. :no: So did answering his cell phone while I was on downwind. :no: :no: :mad:

Another school has polo shirts with logos. Senior CFI's get their names highlighted on their shirts.

I decided recently to have a more professional look when I'm flying for hire or doing compassionate transport work. Year round long "business casual" pants are worn. In the winter I wear a turtleneck, with a black sweater with silver stripes on the shoulders. Spring and fall might lose the sweater but put the stripes on the jacket. Summer will be a light colored polo shirt, and I'll keep the stripes if I can find a 100% cotton polo with epaulettes. I've also gotten some name tags printed with my name and company logo on it to match the business cards y'all helped me with earlier. They've got a magnetic backing so will work with any of the shirts I wear.

I already have gotten compliments from several of the patients I've transported, and frankly I've gotten better results from the FBO's when I've shown up on a trip too. So I'll disagree with earlier posts and say that a uniform can start a good impression - which you can either enhance or destroy by your behavior.

And I won't be wearing any uniform stuff to Wings.

so what you're saying is that my hawaiian shirt and sandals dont make me a professional CFI? :)

so what you're saying is that my hawaiian shirt and sandals dont make me a professional CFI? :)
I'm
not saying that at all. I will go so far as to say that if Joe Newbie saw you in that getup and some other CFI in a uniform, he'd likely think that the other guy is a better pilot or instructor. He might never learn how great you are if he's satisfied with the other guy.

A uniform is all about creating an impression. There are times when that matters - usually when you are dealing with someone who has no knowledge of you as a person or a professional. Once that knowledge is gained, the uniform is less important.

I could render the same quality care in a bathing suit and flip flops that I rendered in my Coast Guard uniform. The uniform insured I got the respect I needed and helped to reassure my patients, who were usually meeting me for the first time in the middle of a crisis situation.

When I was in Law Enforcement I always testified in a suit and tie. Even though my testimony would have been the same if I'd come in wearing a tshirt and jeans, the weight it was given by the jury would doubtless have been less.

I think if I walked into a flight school and saw a bunch of CFIs in uniform I would be worried that the place was all show and little substance. A professional, clean and groomed appearance is good, but matching clothes just makes me think about stuff like this:

PH2007082002116.jpg

Does their matching clothes mean they are more competent?

Go to some third-world places where the airport security is handled by guys in mismatched clothing toting rusty subguns - and then tell me which makes you feel better.

We are NOT unbiased judges here, as we have the experience to judge our fellow pilots and don't have to pay attention to appearance as much.

I have spent a fair amount of money at Frederick mentioned above. While the uniform does look good, it is actually a distraction for me. I want a teacher / mentor, not a professor. I had times where I would ask the CFI to at least loosen or ditch the tie while in my plane just to loosen him up. Too much business and not enough persona inhibits the learning experience if you ask me.

I think that it is that floppy hat that you wear sometimes that really makes you stand out as a professional certified flight instructor. It always impresses me. I haven't seen you wearing it lately. Someone steal it?

<7500>

WHO IS THAT GUY???!!!

</7500>

I think that it is that floppy hat that you wear sometimes that really makes you stand out as a professional certified flight instructor. It always impresses me. I haven't seen you wearing it lately. Someone steal it?

it will be back soon, now that glider season is coming up.

Your dress code is fine... well, maybe the open-toed shoes need to go. But, your grammar is atrocious! :)

i definitely dress nicely for charters. collared shirts and dressish pants are the norm. sandals and tshirts are reserved for instructing.

How the hell do you expect to find a job as an engineer? You should major in English or history or something where good paying jobs are easy to find.

yea i wish i would've realized that 4 years ago

When I met Tom at the Lamar airport for my first lesson with him I thought he was the grounds keeper. He had on his Big Macs and an old white t-shirt and drove an old beater car.

When I met Tom at the Lamar airport for my first lesson with him I thought he was the grounds keeper. He had on his Big Macs and an old white t-shirt and drove an old beater car.

Well, when you're as good as Tom it doesn't mater whether you wear Big Macs or Hart Schaffner Marx. As long as he doesn't wear Crocs I'm a-ok with it.

crocs_cayman_choc.jpg

I came from a college where all the CFIs, male and female, had to wear black pants, a white shirt, and a tie whether it was winter or summer. (Black pants in summer getting in and out of a 172 all day = uncomfortable.) I never instructed there.

We have a pretty cool setup where I'm at now. It's the instructor's own decision how to dress, so we don't have to wear black pants on an 85-degree day.

The boss has set up an account at an embroidery place that can put our logo on just about anything.

So rather than our CFIs being forced to wear identical shirts, we can all go to this place and pick out whatever we want, and the boss picks up the tab (within reason of course). Any shirt, any color, any fabric, and even jackets. This place does a good job of making the company logo look good on whatever you pick out. What a concept. This way everyone can have something that fits their taste and I don't have to wear a men's shirt in an ugly color.

I think matching uniforms in any job makes you look stupid and appear as nothing but a number to the company. IMO--Dressing decently is appropriate for certain business situations that have the expectation of dressing business (meeting unfamiliar clients, a bank, anything where you want something out of them).

Seeing an instructor flying with a captains outfit including the tie in a 172 makes me think 'cheap ass pilot mill' and just seeing it would make me walk to the next FBO with guys that dress like instructors.

Decent clothes makes sense in the airlines. You're trying to impress the general public. You also have to make all your old guy pilots look like they aren't going to fall over dead.

Last edited:
My CFII has worn a uniform exactly once while we've been flying together. But, he had just gotten off duty and didn't time to change. And his Army flying clothes didn't bother me at all. Just hope he gets back from Afghanistan safe and sound so we can start up again.

Exactly the point. A major portion of the flight training customer base today is older (40+) high-level executives and professionals. These folks will form opinions about your professionalism based on the initial general impression you make, including your appearance. While I can't see the need for airline-style uniforms outside programs aimed at airline-preparatory training, I think it's important to present the sort of appearance that will make people feel justified in spending several hundred dollars a day for what you are offering. In my case, that means a shirt, tie, neat slacks, and real shoes. If the customer wants me to lose the tie later, fine and dandy, but that first impression is only made once.

I think if I walked into a flight school and saw a bunch of CFIs in uniform I would be worried that the place was all show and little substance. A professional, clean and groomed appearance is good, but matching clothes just makes me think about stuff like this:

PH2007082002116.jpg

Does their matching clothes mean they are more competent?

Just remember, they're about to get metal badges (really!).

That will truly make them tin-badge dictators.

Well, when you're as good as Tom it doesn't mater whether you wear Big Macs or Hart Schaffner Marx.
Now that I've had a second cup of coffee.........:D Tom is the absolute BEST CFI that I have ever flown with...although you come in a close second. ;) He still keeps getting referrals for new students and often has more students than he really prefers to budget time for.

As has been said, uniforms are good for making a first impression on people walking in off the street. The first couple of instructors I flew with were uniformed, and to be honest, I think I felt more comfortable with that as opposed to flying with some of the CFI's I did later on who did look like the groundskeeper.

In my day job, I work for a software company where I develop educational materials for our customers and our employees. I don't deal with the public face-to-face on a daily basis. So, I'm currently wearing jeans and a polo shirt at work, which is my typical attire. Now, when the sales department has a prospect coming in, or another client is coming in, then an email goes out to the company to let everyone know. On those days, it's khakis and a polo shirt. However, on the rare occasion that I get invited to a trade show to assist the sales staff, I'm wearing a full-on suit and tie. I can perform my job on any of those days just fine in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and sandals, but it's all about that initial impression.

So CFI's, I know it sucks to have to wear those long black pants in and out of 172's in 85+ deg weather, but think about it from the perspective of the 30+ year-old who just walked through the front door of the FBO wanting to learn how to fly. You just gave that guy a little boost of confidence in your abilities by not looking like a lineboy or groundskeeper.

As has been said, uniforms are good for making a first impression on people walking in off the street. The first couple of instructors I flew with were uniformed, and to be honest, I think I felt more comfortable with that as opposed to flying with some of the CFI's I did later on who did look like the groundskeeper.
I'm going to take the opposite view and say that if my first instructor had showed up in a uniform I might not have been inclined to pursue flying as a hobby, the impression being that it might be too straight-laced to be fun. But that is just me, especially me when I was younger. I managed to fly in jeans and t-shirts for about 20 years until I went over to the dark side. For a while I felt very uncomfortable wearing a uniform, like I was dressing up for Halloween. I have noticed, however, that when I fly in street clothes, like we do sometimes, I am frequently mistaken for a passenger.

I just posed the question since I'm honestly curious what it's like in other parts of the country. Personally, I think they look a little silly but in no way do I judge a CFI's performance based off his clothing. In my mind, he/she could be just as great or terrible as a plainly dressed instructor (in fact the uniformed CFI's I've flown with have been much better than those in casual clothing).

If I were to operate a flight school I think I would have my instructors wear kahki shorts (or pants if it's a cold day) and a Hawian shirt with wings from May through September. It's a fun look, but still professional. The rest of the year, a polo and khaki pants works just fine. Showing up to a flight school and finding the instructors wearing half-ripped T-shirts and shorts just doesn't attract my business. But that's me.

I'm going to take the opposite view and say that if my first instructor had showed up in a uniform I might not have been inclined to pursue flying as a hobby, the impression being that it might be too straight-laced to be fun. But that is just me, especially me when I was younger. I managed to fly in jeans and t-shirts for about 20 years until I went over to the dark side. For a while I felt very uncomfortable wearing a uniform, like I was dressing up for Halloween. I have noticed, however, that when I fly in street clothes, like we do sometimes, I am frequently mistaken for a passenger.
I agree with you. People has to dress nice but also dressed to make the RIGHT impression.

My first foray into scuba instruction I had a Course Director that insisted that instructor candidates wear suit and ties in class. Furthermore he encouraged us to continue to dress that way when we working in the store. I thought that was ridicules.

People are looking for a professional and safe instructor to be sure. But they are also looking for fun and getting them to think 'vacation, tropics, fun' is an important part of the 'look' too. So wearing Hawaiian shirts and shorts is an appropriate form of dress for the scuba instructor.

For a flight instructor business casual should suffice. You do not want to look like the 'grounds keeper' but you do not need to look like this when teaching initial students
pilot3.JPG

Or even worse come dressed like this to a lesson
122157main_image_feature_364_ys_4.jpg

Both images do convey professionalism and competence. But neither indicate fun, adventure, or excitement. Which are the things that people coming to a small airport to learn to fly are motivated by.

When dressing you need to have context of the message as well.

So CFI's, I know it sucks to have to wear those long black pants in and out of 172's in 85+ deg weather, but think about it from the perspective of the 30+ year-old who just walked through the front door of the FBO wanting to learn how to fly. You just gave that guy a little boost of confidence in your abilities by not looking like a lineboy or groundskeeper.

OK then, I'll do an experiment. I'll dress all nice like this and then act like a jerk to a customer and fly really poorly. I will be sure to say I am "just doing this to build hours" and "I can't wait to get on with the airlines so I can add some epaulets to the shirt I'm wearing."

Then I'll switch back to my jeans and act like my normal self with the next person and fly really well. I'll make them feel at home and unintimidated while I demonstrate my abilities as a teacher. Plus I'll be sure to mention how much I like my job and the friendly atmosphere of the little airport I fly from.

Which client to you suppose I will retain? My point is that first impressions as far as looks aren't always valid and I totally agree with what Jesse said.

As an instructor, the way I greet a new customer and treat them during their first flight has a heck of a lot more to do with retaining them than what I'm wearing, I think. First impressions? I must be making a good one wearing jeans, because I sure haven't had problems getting people to come back.

The worst instructor I have ever flown with wears a uniform with epaulets.

Yes a new customer is often nervous and needs all the help they can get. I guess you will have to define what you mean by looking like a lineboy or groundskeeper. If it is wearing pants with holes in them, dirt stains all over, oil marks, etc. then OK I finally agree with you... that would make a new customer nervous, maybe.

Back