CFI smoking during flight lesson

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but in the Cirrus POH under Limitations it says this:

“Other Limitations
Smoking

Smoking is prohibited in this airplane.”

I wonder if this is now a standard Limitation in other aircraft currently manufactured.

I wouldn’t want to light up a cigarette anywhere near a roof mounted rocket lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it could be done safely, on a very occasional basis the scenario lights out, smoking and forced use of a flashlight mentioned above could be justified to help simulate actual fire emergencies and produce a better prepared pilot. It’s reminiscent of the narrative in “Fate Is The Hunter” where the flight instructor keeps lighting a bunch of matches in front of the student pilot’s face. It’s a different environment when things unpleasant and unexpected are happening in the cockpit, as opposed to mere vetbalization and proceeding through emergency checklists unencumbered.

I like a small dose of the scent of someone’s cigar outside and in the distance, occasionally. No smoking in the cockpit with others, it’s rude without consent. Extra exhilarating flights with the chopper doors off just about qualifies as outside but, ashes swirling around in expensive avionics? Who needs their next fag THAT bad?

Back then people sat around smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee and talking about their problems. Now coffee and cigarettes are the problem...

Once about 30 years ago, I sat in on an AA meeting. Practically everyone of the attendees had a coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Drink. Puff. Drink. Puff. Drink. Puff. On and on while making their little speeches. No thanks. I think I’d just keep on drinking.

Once about 30 years ago, I sat in on an AA meeting. Practically everyone of the attendees had a coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Drink. Puff. Drink. Puff. Drink. Puff. On and on while making their little speeches. No thanks. I think I’d just keep on drinking.
From the bad alchys and drunks I’ve had the displeasure to be around, the coffee and smoke meetings are a definite improvement.

At a company that is no longer in existence in western alaska it was common place to have pilots light up cigarettes on their empty legs. When queried on the radio about what they were doing from other pilots the response would be “burning down the house!”

Of course, when you are expected to work 14 hours a day the nicotine helps stave off hunger, as there was rarely any time to eat during the work day. I think that is why most did it. Others just really enjoyed their fleeting minutes of peace alone in the airplane with the window open “burning down the house.” For two weeks straight those were the only times you had any solitude.

Others just really enjoyed their fleeting minutes of peace alone in the airplane with the window open.... For two weeks straight those were the only times you had any solitude.

I remember that well....except when I was there it was 20 on, 10 off.

We were allowed bathroom breaks after one dispatcher said no time, go fly now..!!! and one of the guys peed in that persons coffee cup right there in his office.....

Since when is coffee a problem? :D

Same addiction. I quit tobacco and caffeine at 32. I mean just absolutely stopped. That was the day I took control of my life and quit letting chemicals control my life. I have seen people really have a bad addiction to caffeine and nicotine, so bad that they schedule the entire day around the next cup/smoke.

Also, on that note, did you know that the removable center console in a 172 SP is watertight and holds a liter very comfortably? And is easily washable. For when you drink way too much coffee. I mean...not that I've ever...jus' saying...

ewwwo....TMI..!!! :rofl::rofl:

At a company that is no longer in existence in western alaska it was common place to have pilots light up cigarettes on their empty legs. When queried on the radio about what they were doing from other pilots the response would be “burning down the house!”

Of course, when you are expected to work 14 hours a day the nicotine helps stave off hunger, as there was rarely any time to eat during the work day. I think that is why most did it. Others just really enjoyed their fleeting minutes of peace alone in the airplane with the window open “burning down the house.” For two weeks straight those were the only times you had any solitude.

Got to be more inventive like the old guys: One's wife double wrapped meat and vegetables in a long, Al foil pouch and he'd lay it on top of the exhaust manifold before taking off into the backcountry to make rounds and it eventually cooked for presto, a hot lunch, wherever.

Got to be more inventive like the old guys: One's wife double wrapped meat and vegetables in a long, Al foil pouch and he'd lay it on top of the exhaust manifold before taking off into the backcountry to make rounds and it eventually cooked for presto, a hot lunch, wherever.

Bethel isn’t the kind of place one would want to bring their wife.

Back