CFI single engine add-on

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
I'm starting my single engine add on to my MEI tomorrow. It's been since august of 2015 since I've done the commercial maneuvers. I've been reading the pts and afh. Hopefully shouldn't take too long to complete but just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips or advice. I know the hard checkride is over but its been almost a year so i'm trying to get back into it.

This is how I did my CFI ratings. If single engine CFI add ons are not the typical way to do things in your area, make sure you have an examiner who is able to do it. Oddly, being qualified to do single engine CFI initial exams doesn't automatically qualify the examiner to do single engine CFI add-on exams. Nobody had done the MEI first here in a very long time, so none of the examiners in the state were qualified to do a single engine add-on exam. It was a hassle to set up and involved a pair of FAA inspectors observing the exam.

It had been 4 years since I did the commercial single engine but the manuevers came right back to me within an hour. Pay attention to coordination and left turning tendency. You may have gotten sloppy with that.

As I recall, the oral consisted of 3 items and I think they were a repeat of items from the multi engine exam. One of the FAA inspectors observing the exam was the same one who did my MEI. When the examiner asked a question, he chimed in that he was pretty confident I was going to answer it correctly because he had asked me the exact same question for the MEI. It was kindof weird actually.

Remember that the commercial maneuvers that you'll be doing for your CFI-SE checkride are visual maneuvers, not instrument maneuvers. They play to the aerodynamic and stability effects of the airplane.

In a reasonably-well-rigged airplane, I could take my hands off the yoke When I reached maximum pitch, and the airplane would fly through the pitch down & wing leveling portion perfectly...I only had to touch the yoke as the nose came up through the horizon to pull it up & initiate the second half. If you keep the rudder coordinated, the airplane does a really nice job on the rest.

Update:
My checkride was delayed until this morning instead of last sunday like planned due to weather. It started off a little rough due to maintenece logs not being organized and missing an endorsement that myself nor my instructor caught. Once we got that settled though things went well for the most part. I tend to make things more complicated than needed so it took a little longer than it should have. Once we were in the plane I relaxed and everything went well. I messed up a little on 8's on pylons due to not being stabalized before hand but recovered and passed.

How'd the oral go? From the looks of it I will get my instructor rating in the KC-10 which will give me the CFII and MEI after I take a quick Mil Comp written and send the paperwork to the FSDO. Was wanting to do the Single-engine add-on but a little worried about the oral and curious if it is gonna be as big of ball buster as the initial.

How'd the oral go? From the looks of it I will get my instructor rating in the KC-10 which will give me the CFII and MEI after I take a quick Mil Comp written and send the paperwork to the FSDO. Was wanting to do the Single-engine add-on but a little worried about the oral and curious if it is gonna be as big of ball buster as the initial.
The oral was about 3 hours start to finish due to the paperwork. He followed the pts. Certs and docs, logbook entries, runway incursion avoidance. Then he had me teach w&b and chandelles. That all went pretty smooth. The flight was a power on stall, accelerated stall, steep turns, chandelle, engine failure to steep spiral, 8's on pylons then a softfield takeoff/landing and a short field takeoff/ landing.

Back