CFI shortage?

A local flight school is closing permanently this month because they haven't been able to find a full-time instructor since the previous one left.

That is terrible. I want to teach full-time but have had to stay in central Ohio because of my Mom. I teach part-time and spray lawns for a living and am miserable. I wish there was an opportunity locally for me. I may have to figure out a way for my Mom to be a little more independent by getting my half-brother back in the picture.

I hope there are no other flight schools that bad off.

David

A local flight school is closing permanently this month because they haven't been able to find a full-time instructor since the previous one left.

Not buying it.

Presuming the owner can bring in students...

Pay 35hr cash, provide a little housing, even a trailer, put some free ads out and you'll have 10-20 resumes in your inbox a day.

I kinda believe it....

Had a hard time finding a CFI for a BFR earlier.... Lot of the part-timers were busy enough that they could only get to me "a week from next Tuesday"...

Not buying it.

The previous CFI left. They did not find a CFI to replace him. The flight school is closing. Those are the facts, I'm not sure what there is to buy or not buy.

I agree they should just pay more to make it more enticing, but it's not my decision.

The previous CFI left. They did not find a CFI to replace him. The flight school is closing. Those are the facts, I'm not sure what there is to buy or not buy.

I agree they should just pay more to make it more enticing, but it's not my decision.

:yes:

I'd betcha $5 it's like the regionals pilot shortage, it's not that the talent isn't out there, just they don't want to pay for it.

I was all primed and ready to go on my CFI. Even took and passed the FOI and CFI-A. After discussing liability issues with some buddies, I can't get a handle on my exposure. Some say the risk is minimal, others say if you have any meaningful assets don't do it. In my case, I'm specifically talking about being a part time freelance CFI. I know insurance is available, but I wonder if I would break even after paying the premium much less recoup the cost of getting the CFI.

I have read the numerous threads on this topic, but I'm still on the fence.

I have some toys, a house etc, I wouldn't bat a eye at CFIing on the side, frankly life is too short to be worried about all that stuff, and if you have big assets you should also have them protected as such, nothing to stop someone from CFIing.

Last edited:
Not sure there is a need. Did the school close due to lack of an instructor,or due to not enough students to warrant a full time instructor. It's a fine line,also the instructor needs to make a suitable living,not what the school thinks is fair.

Not sure there is a need. Did the school close due to lack of an instructor,or due to not enough students to warrant a full time instructor. It's a fine line,also the instructor needs to make a suitable living,not what the school thinks is fair.

There were enough students. But you are right that it's a fine line. They were just above break-even before the last instructor left and I don't know if the customers would have paid higher prices to support higher CFI pay.

UND of all places. This is after years of being dicks to anyone who didn't grow up in their little greenhouse.
The part they dont tell you about is that 90% of your job is to babysit the chinese and indian contract students gathering their 250hrs.

And yes, it does get that cold :D

At my school we just hired about 5 instructors within the last month. 3 of our guys left to go on to the airlines.

That is terrible. I want to teach full-time but have had to stay in central Ohio because of my Mom. I teach part-time and spray lawns for a living and am miserable. I wish there was an opportunity locally for me. I may have to figure out a way for my Mom to be a little more independent by getting my half-brother back in the picture.

David

Create the opportunity, 172s have never been cheaper, get out and advertise. Marty Bevil used to do pretty well in the middle of nowhere Ohio.

There were enough students. But you are right that it's a fine line. They were just above break-even before the last instructor left and I don't know if the customers would have paid higher prices to support higher CFI pay.

Then the market didn't really exist even if the need did.

I remember my early days of flying. It took me several months to get my first CFI job, then all of a sudden I am getting up to 10 calls a month from flight schools needing CFIs right now.

I call BS. We have so many CFIs here, they are starving because schools are full of them and won't hire more.

It also depends on the locality but you'd expect CFIs to be willing to move for a job. *shrug*

I don't think it's BS. Cobra Kai in Wichita Falls and another flight school I see were looking for CFI's recently. There are places with work to be had but a lot of CFI's aren't willing to move.

David

Hey there, I fly out of KDLZ right now. With Spencer Aviation. A little more than a year ago or so I called Ohio State Flight School and they told me they were short on CFI's there.

Hey there, I fly out of KDLZ right now. With Spencer Aviation. A little more than a year ago or so I called Ohio State Flight School and they told me they were short on CFI's there.

Hey,

I taught at Spencer in 2008 and left for what turned out to be a bad CFI gig in MO. he won't hire me back unless I bring him another student.

As for OSU, sometimes they are hiring, sometimes not. Their hiring process is crazy ridiculous. I may try again but I bailed on the process after I found out how ridiculous it was and I was only trying to be a part time CFI for the flight clinic, not the main school. OSU is high and mighty on their flight program just like UND probably is.

I am teaching out of KVTA right now. Except for the 48 miles drive each way, it is alright. Just not enough students as always.

David

At my school we just hired about 5 instructors within the last month. 3 of our guys left to go on to the airlines.

They may have left to go starve with a regional. Why bother teaching. It's been mentioned before. There's no money in it! lousy old aircraft to teach in , many probably unsafe or on the boarder line, old crates. Add to this the expense! Young people can't afford it today. Then there's the ex military pilots, getting out with three four thousand hours, many of it in modern tankers, 36-40 years old. The airlines go for these people big time, plus UPS , FED ex.! It's not the CFIs responsibility to bring students in! It's up to the FBO or the school and its ability to advertise , etc.

Last edited:
They may have left to go starve with a regional. Why bother teaching. It's been mentioned before. There's no money in it! lousy old aircraft to teach in , many probably unsafe or on the boarder line, old crates. Add to this the expense! Young people can't afford it today. Then there's the ex military pilots, getting out with three four thousand hours, many of it in modern tankers, 36-40 years old. The airlines go for these people big time, plus UPS , FED ex.! It's not the CFIs responsibility to bring students in! It's up to the FBO or the school and its ability to advertise , etc.

I forget, you don't work in the industry do you?

There are so many issues with that statement.

As for OSU, sometimes they are hiring, sometimes not. Their hiring process is crazy ridiculous. I may try again but I bailed on the process after I found out how ridiculous it was and I was only trying to be a part time CFI for the flight clinic, not the main school.

What part did you find 'crazy ridiculous'?

I did my training at Ohio State (FTC) and fly out of KOSU and the flight school is doing real well. 4 (I think) new planes and my former CFI says it's really busy.

It's hell to make a living around there. What was the pay being offered? It's a tough climate around there to live in.
Don't know for sure, but they seem to be doing well. Their fleet appears well maintained and they just bought a Redbird Simulator, too. Fresh paint up on the building... you get the idea.

My ultimate goal one day is to teach out of Dkx one day. Part time and see where it goes from there. Sadly I am a long way from my Cfi and have to spend a lot of money to one day make money.

My ultimate goal one day is to teach out of Dkx one day. Part time and see where it goes from there. Sadly I am a long way from my Cfi and have to spend a lot of money to one day make money.
I fly out of Knoxville area if your already a ppl and if you want some hours or safety pilot time I'm always willing to fly. Just let me know if your interested and I'll send you my number or facebook or something.

I was all primed and ready to go on my CFI. Even took and passed the FOI and CFI-A. After discussing liability issues with some buddies, I can't get a handle on my exposure. Some say the risk is minimal, others say if you have any meaningful assets don't do it. In my case, I'm specifically talking about being a part time freelance CFI. I know insurance is available, but I wonder if I would break even after paying the premium much less recoup the cost of getting the CFI.

CFI insurance with professional liability isn't horribly expensive, but it is a cost you need to factor in. Both NAFI and SAFE have good programs reasonably priced.

CFI insurance with professional liability isn't horribly expensive, but it is a cost you need to factor in. Both NAFI and SAFE have good programs reasonably priced.

What limits are available ?

I guess it just depends on where you are. I passed my CFI initial a little while ago. Same day I was hired by the flight school that trained me.
Two days later I had 4 students and am now up to about 8 students.

I guess it just depends on where you are. I passed my CFI initial a little while ago. Same day I was hired by the flight school that trained me.

Two days later I had 4 students and am now up to about 8 students.

How many hours a week does 8 students generate??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not happy to hear that NKA is closing. Not sure where to go now.

How far are you from the Hampton Roads area?

I am in Williamsburg. I did my PP at JGG, but not happy with instructor there, although I heard there is a new flight school there now. I may check that out again.

I am in Williamsburg. I did my PP at JGG, but not happy with instructor there, although I heard there is a new flight school there now. I may check that out again.

If you can make it down to Epix Aviation at CPK, I highly recommend them. Only problem for you is you would have to drive through that gawd-forsaken tunnel.

Epix used to have a satellite at PHF, but I don't think it's there anymore. I'll ask one of the owners next time I see him.

This

After getting back into instructing part time I joined NAFI and got a 1 mil CFI policy through Avemco. I also carry a 1 mil umbrella for my family. You can never have enough protection but these helped me feel a lot better.

Back