CFI Services

James Hines

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hello,

Am I allowed to receive services for flight instruction? For example, I have a guy who would like to learn to fly and he says that as payment he would be willing to build me a small shed. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Also, am I ok to withhold endorsing his logbook (if I give instruction hours prior) to shed being complete?

thanks.
James.

There’s nothing that says you can’t accept payment of any kind for flight instruction.

There is a reg that says you have to log the instruction given, so if you withhold that until the shed is complete, and the shed is never finished, you’re in violation.

There’s nothing that says you can’t accept payment of any kind for flight instruction.

There is a reg that says you have to log the instruction given, so if you withhold that until the shed is complete, and the shed is never finished, you’re in violation.

DO you know where that regulation is to be found? I want to look it up. thanks!

I’d think you could slow walk his solo or practical endorsements.... how long does it take to build a shed? Week?

I paid my CFI in meatballs

My wife always, always finds something other than my hobbies to spend our money on. I'm thinking of panhandling for flight training money.

Note, it's still taxable income, even if you get it in kind or bartered services.

No regulation that says a flight instructor has to be paid or otherwise compensated for instruction given...

That will have to be one heck of a shed to trade instructional time for.

I plan to provide my services for food.

Need a Flight Review? Cost ya lunch.

Instrument rating? Probably twenty lunches...

The instructor I was using for a while was an AF guy and he was happy to let him fly three landings in the Navion to maintain SE currency.

Now I've been flying with a couple of my neighbors. I buy them a drink from time to time (though they end up buying me a drink too so it's not sure how much of that gets applied to the flight training).

I swapped services with a student. He did some HVAC work for me in exchange for some flight lessons.

Best is flight time in a really cool airplane.

Hello,

Am I allowed to receive services for flight instruction? For example, I have a guy who would like to learn to fly and he says that as payment he would be willing to build me a small shed. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Also, am I ok to withhold endorsing his logbook (if I give instruction hours prior) to shed being complete?

thanks.
James.

Would be much cleaner for you to pay him to build the shed and he pay you for the instruction. If you don’t do that, at least in writing agree to the limit of how many instructional hours you are going to provide after the shed is completed.

Back