CFI schools

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Anyone know of any 141 CFI programs? I tried one on one with my instructor but we can only meet like once a week and its too much time between training. I'm having a hard time with this rating. I think I would benefit from a classroom environment and accelerated training. I looked into Phoenix East Aviation in Florida but its extremely pricey. I'm also looking into Accelerated Flight Training LLC, an outfit in Long beach. Anyone have any suggestions? Any one with experience with either place or somewhere else that has a good program?

Anyone know of any 141 CFI programs? I tried one on one with my instructor but we can only meet like once a week and its too much time between training. I'm having a hard time with this rating. I think I would benefit from a classroom environment and accelerated training. I looked into Phoenix East Aviation in Florida but its extremely pricey. I'm also looking into Accelerated Flight Training LLC, an outfit in Long beach. Anyone have any suggestions? Any one with experience with either place or somewhere else that has a good program?

Have you passed your written? Do you specifically have to have a 141 school?

Have you passed your written? Do you specifically have to have a 141 school?

passed both FOI and CFI-A written 6 months ago. I really need some kind of organized training for this. All my other ratings I studied on my own and met with an instructor about two times a week, and it was fine. I having more trouble with this rating. I feel I would benefit from a classroom environment or, if not, at least work with some kind of a accelerated program where I would have to work on some thing every day instead of going a week or two between training.

I have been working on this with my instructor for 3 months and have only met 6 times. Only have been flying twice, one time to learn right seat and one time to "teach" him chandelles. Other than that I have not really done much other than try to study on my own but its hard to study "teaching others" on your own.

Try calling Shebles and see what they can offer you, in the meantime just verbalize the maneuvers as you hangar fly them.

There's an instructor in San Diego who seems to specialize in teaching CFI candidates:

http://www.takeflightsandiego.com/advanced-5day-cfi.html

There's also American Flyers. They have a 1-month program and a 2-week finish-up program.

Other than that I have not really done much other than try to study on my own but its hard to study "teaching others" on your own.

Do you have lesson plans made? Practice teaching the preflight discussions. I found most of mine came to about 15 minutes of presentation length for each maneuver or group of maneuvers...after several hours of planning for each one.

Don't forget the private maneuvers. How would you teach a turn around a point? Etc.

Last edited:
passed both FOI and CFI-A written 6 months ago. I really need some kind of organized training for this. All my other ratings I studied on my own and met with an instructor about two times a week, and it was fine. I having more trouble with this rating. I feel I would benefit from a classroom environment or, if not, at least work with some kind of a accelerated program where I would have to work on some thing every day instead of going a week or two between training.

I have been working on this with my instructor for 3 months and have only met 6 times. Only have been flying twice, one time to learn right seat and one time to "teach" him chandelles. Other than that I have not really done much other than try to study on my own but its hard to study "teaching others" on your own.

Tutor at a flight school for free, helps IMMENSELY for a CFI ride.

You wouldn't happen to be looking for a 141 school for a inhouse DPE vs FSDO ride would ya ;)

I just wanted to add that "141 school" does not necessarily equal "accelerated training", nor does "61 school" necessarily mean "unaccelerated" training. Ditto for 141/61 versus having a structured syllabus or not. (Well, 141 should always have a syllabus, but 61 can too.)

What you seem to want is an accelerated program with structure. Don't just limit yourself to 141 schools. Find an instructor who can set aside the time for you and who uses a formal syllabus, regardless of whether they are 141 or 61.

When I did my instrument rating, I wanted the same thing. I arranged with a CFI at the local 61 school to basically commit to me for 2 weeks. He did, and although we didn't get all the way through the rating in those two weeks, we got a significant chunk of the training knocked out, in an accelerated fashion, with a structured syllabus.

I'm just saying don't limit yourself, there are CFIs who would love to work with someone like you on an accelerated basis.

I just wanted to add that "141 school" does not necessarily equal "accelerated training", nor does "61 school" necessarily mean "unaccelerated" training. Ditto for 141/61 versus having a structured syllabus or not. (Well, 141 should always have a syllabus, but 61 can too.)

What you seem to want is an accelerated program with structure. Don't just limit yourself to 141 schools. Find an instructor who can set aside the time for you and who uses a formal syllabus, regardless of whether they are 141 or 61.

When I did my instrument rating, I wanted the same thing. I arranged with a CFI at the local 61 school to basically commit to me for 2 weeks. He did, and although we didn't get all the way through the rating in those two weeks, we got a significant chunk of the training knocked out, in an accelerated fashion, with a structured syllabus.

I'm just saying don't limit yourself, there are CFIs who would love to work with someone like you on an accelerated basis.

good point,thanks for the input.

Back