CFI School

Catalo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Catalo
Hi, So i'll be going to cfi school in about 3 weeks. I'm taking my foi and fia writtens within the next week. Just wondering if any of you have any tips on making the rating a little easier or any instructing tips. Thanks

know the pts cold and the foi. what school are you attending?

Complete the IGI & AGI exams too, same question bank & required for the Gold Seal. Watch the UND aerocasts; they're a really good representation of how to deliver content. and understand it's about teaching, not flying. The breadth of knowledge for a CFI is significant, albeit with limited depth. If you can teach Aerodynamics to a 12 year old, you'll be golden :)

I'm with atp so their cfi School

The most important thing to remember about the CFI ticket is that it’s all about teaching, not flying. You will be judged more on your ability to impart learning to your student than on any demonstration of your own pilot skills. The Aviation Instructor's Handbook book is rather dry, and (considering that it’s supposed to be prepared by professionals who really know about teaching) not all that easy to learn from. However, the important data are there, and you’d best learn not only to parrot them, but to understand what they mean and apply them when you teach (and if you don’t recognize these “levels of learning” you’re not ready yet). You will have to be able to read the student’s mind to find out whether he’s really learned the material or not, and if not, WHY not. Then you must be able to figure out how to get past whatever barrier to understanding exists in that student’s mind. You’ll find that there are as many successful techniques as there are students, but there may only be one of those many that works for any one particular student. Being able to hit on one that will work quickly, before the student becomes discouraged, is the toughest part of flight instructing.

How to work through this? Get with some successful teachers, not necessarily pilots. I’m talking about someone you know who’s an experienced high school teacher, one that the kids remember long after graduation as the highlight of their experience. Talk about teaching and learning with this person. You might also consider some basic education courses at the local college.

Finally, here are a few points I put together to get your mind right for the initial CFI checkride:

1. You are a teacher, not a pilot. How you teach is far more important than how you fly the plane. It doesn't matter if you slightly screw up a maneuver, as long as you identify the screw-up as it happens, talk about why it happened, and then how to do it right.

2. Don't rush into any answers. When asked questions, show the examiner where the answer is written -- you're showing how to teach a student, not demonstrating your own superior knowledge. That means you should know COLD where to find the answers -- if asked about the red/green/white tower light gun signals, it shouldn't take you more than a few seconds to get to the right page in the AIM. And you should know instantly whether an answer to an FAR question is in Part 61 or Part 91 (HINT: If the rule applies no matter who's flying the plane, it's in 91. If not, it's in 61.)

3. Be relaxed and organized. When asked a to teach an item, take a moment to gather your thoughts and draw out any blackboard diagrams or itemized lists for the lesson. You're not on "Jeopardy" -- there's no one gonna beat you to the buzzer and steal your $200 prize.

4. Inventory your stuff before you go to the meet -- the checklist in the PTS is a good tool. Make sure you have all the source materials to teach as well as answer all the questions in the PTS.

5. Typically, during the oral, the examiner will jump on one topic and continue asking questions until you run out of answers. In the Air Force, we called this game "Stump the Dummy." As the questioner knows more than the questionee about the topic he selected (which is why the questioner selected it), the final outcome (the dummy is stumped) is never in doubt. The critical elements are how far the dummy can get before being stumped, and how he handles the situation -- straight knowledge, clear explanations, use of the book when appropriate or necessary, and no BS or tap-dancing when finally stumped.

6. Expect a long, grueling session. You're being given the authority to release others into the sky without anyone else's oversight. They want to make damn sure you can make good decisions in that respect. For that reason, I think the initial CFI is the most significant ride you'll ever take.

Good luck,
Ron Levy
CFI since 1973

To prepare:

Written is easy. Do whatever. Flying is easy. I'd highly suggest you watch the King DVD on the oral checkride. The oral checkride is the hard part of the CFI. Watch that video and learn to answer all the questions just like in that video. Practice, Practice, Practice what's in that video and you'll pass on the first go. Worked for me.

This is a very long and grueling oral that is very different from your previous ones. The video will help put you in the right mindset.

**KNOW YOUR AIRPLANE** a LOT about your airplane could come up during the oral and it will be expected you know everything about every system on it.

Download the CFI PTS. Familiarize yourself with EVERY reg or AC referenced there. Print basically every active AC there is that could possibly be relevant to your ride. Catalog them, read most of them, and know what you have. Bring that with you. Anything that could come up there's probably an AC for it and the examiner will be uber impressed that you actually know that and know where to find it.

I basically brought a library of stuff to my oral. Every AC. The FAR/AIM. The aircraft TCDS. Etc.

Once you pass:

Just remember this feeling of accomplishment, and do everything you can to burn in the memory and feelings you had working up to your first solo and how you felt after you did it. Think hard about all the good and bad things instructors have done during your training over the years.

Then never forget that as a CFI that's what you're making possible for others. It's what keeps you going when things get rough. Do what the good instructors do and kick your own ass if you start getting tempted to do what the bad instructors did.

So today was day 2 of cfi school. Holy hell it's incredibly demanding and overwhelming. Feel a little lost but it getting better. My biggest issue is the lesson plans and knowing how to organize all the knowledge/supplies

You in jax? If you would have been there last week you would have gotten to go for a ride in a crj 700

So today was day 2 of cfi school. Holy hell it's incredibly demanding and overwhelming. Feel a little lost but it getting better. My biggest issue is the lesson plans and knowing how to organize all the knowledge/supplies
Keep hammering away at those books! You're not going to know everything but you should know where to look an unsure question up. It's not about how you can fly. The examiner already knows you can fly because you have your commercial license. It's about how you teach. Teaching while doing and recognizing student errors before they even make them

You in jax? If you would have been there last week you would have gotten to go for a ride in a crj 700
I am in jax at Craig executive

Yep, know it well (too well). Best parts about CFI school are spins and leaving.
Any help with lesson plans or getting my stuff organized?

Best thing to do is tutor, however ATP has their own program, just follow the program and you'll "pass". That's what ATP is all about.

http://scottsasha.com/aviation/plans/cfiplans.html

Doesn't ATP give you some precanned plans?

Being organized is something you should already have down as a CPL

Last edited:
I passed my cfi ride in March. Here is my $0.02. Know the PTS cold. I wrote my own lesson plans for every item on the cfi-a pts, private and commercial as well. This really helped me to understand and teach each maneuver. I also spent an insane amount of time practicing teaching in front of a mirror and driving in my car. I would basically give a lecture on each item using note cards; then I would teach my neighbor (no interest in aviation). It took a long time but it was worth it.

Moreover, the King video that Jesse recommended is worth buying. Hope this helps

I passed my cfi ride in March. Here is my $0.02. Know the PTS cold. I wrote my own lesson plans for every item on the cfi-a pts, private and commercial as well. This really helped me to understand and teach each maneuver. I also spent an insane amount of time practicing teaching in front of a mirror and driving in my car. I would basically give a lecture on each item using note cards; then I would teach my neighbor (no interest in aviation). It took a long time but it was worth it.

Moreover, the King video that Jesse recommended is worth buying. Hope this helps
+1 for practicing with people who have no interest/zero knowledge of aviation. If you can explain the concepts to them and they understand it then you are doing something right

Well, I started cfi school 3 weeks ago as of tomorrow. My check ride is tomorrow at 8 am. I've gotten to the point where I don't know what else to study or what I dont know. Im just going to go in and have fun with it. I'm as prepared as ill ever be.

In addition to what others have already said, ride along in the back with some experienced CFIs and watch how they instruct.

In addition to what others have already said, ride along in the back with some experienced CFIs and watch how they instruct.

Well since his practical is tomorrow it's going to be hard to ride along. But it's good advice never the less.

Well, I started cfi school 3 weeks ago as of tomorrow. My check ride is tomorrow at 8 am. I've gotten to the point where I don't know what else to study or what I dont know. Im just going to go in and have fun with it. I'm as prepared as ill ever be.
Good luck!

It's been 3 weeks of hell but im ready to get it done with. I'll be updating on how it goes

Good luck! Who is it with? E.S.? R.T.? Remember, you are there to teach and relate ideas. Knowing the info is not enough. The examiners will mess with you in the plane. You have your endorsement so the instructors feel you are ready so be confident in that. Don't be timid!

Good luck! Who is it with? E.S.? R.T.? Remember, you are there to teach and relate ideas. Knowing the info is not enough. The examiners will mess with you in the plane. You have your endorsement so the instructors feel you are ready so be confident in that. Don't be timid!
R.t. any advice

R.t. any advice

Like I said, be confident and be thorough. It is just one of those things you have to get through. Be a teacher and don't let him shake you in the plane.

Well I finished the oral. We started at 9am and walked out at around 330. His check ride is very scenario based so he covers multiple topics in one so it seems like you haven't covered much until you think about it. I decided to discontinue due to weather so I should have my flight in the next few days. I passed my oral though so the rest shouldn't be too bad. Overall it was a pretty good oral.

Congrats! You passed the difficult part.
Thank you. My flight is tomorrow at 1pm. And my instructor said my teaching was much better in the plane than on the ground so I'm not too worried.

Congratulations! The oral is definitely the hardest part. Scenario based is the way everything going these days. The flight should be similar. Rather than straight engine failures expect an "oh look, your right engine is on fire" or "the cockpit is filling with smoke, what are you going to do?" Expect the unexpected. He likes to make people do unusual things to throw you off like making you sing Christmas carols while doing a maneuver (no joke). He is a really cool guy and does his job well.

Thank you. My flight is tomorrow at 1pm. And my instructor said my teaching was much better in the plane than on the ground so I'm not too worried.

Just remember, we're all counting on you....

I passed the flight. 1.6 in the log book

Congratulations! Are you going to stay and do your add ons or are you going home?

Congratulations! Are you going to stay and do your add ons or are you going home?
Im going home. Im sick of jax. I actually just got home.

Back