CFI scheduling question

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
Where I live we are very limited to CFI's. My current CFI works a full time job and he and I get along great and really mesh, close to the same age and similar interests etc. However, our schedules do not always mesh and my other partner in the plane is trying to learn as well, so we have to deal with three different schedules, which we do quite well. I want to get as much time in the aircraft as I can during the week, I dont want to have much lag time (Wx permitting of course).
Heres the question, is it wrong to have another CFI fill in on the days that your primary CFI can't fly? When I solo, I will make sure that my current CFI is the man in charge there. I just want to build up some time and actually fly our aircraft quite a bit. In my opinion, its all about training and flight time but maybe I am wrong.

Where I live we are very limited to CFI's. My current CFI works a full time job and he and I get along great and really mesh, close to the same age and similar interests etc. However, our schedules do not always mesh and my other partner in the plane is trying to learn as well, so we have to deal with three different schedules, which we do quite well. I want to get as much time in the aircraft as I can during the week, I dont want to have much lag time (Wx permitting of course).
Heres the question, is it wrong to have another CFI fill in on the days that your primary CFI can't fly? When I solo, I will make sure that my current CFI is the man in charge there. I just want to build up some time and actually fly our aircraft quite a bit. In my opinion, its all about training and flight time but maybe I am wrong.
Why would it be wrong? In fact it could be helpful, assuming you don't get different answers to basic questions. Waiting is potentially going to cost you money and time.

It's common to have another CFI for a stage check,but to fly with two different instructors at the same time could prove difficult,or confusing.

It won't necessarily hurt, but you'll have redundancy since neither will know for sure what you've covered and how proficient you are at things. Otherwise, varying perspectives can be valuable. And you'll definitely get more flying time.

I will be the utmost up front on everything as far as training and my flaws, because I know them well. I just think that time is money and sitting around is costing me money.

I would try to stick with one CFI if possible. They might teach you different things/procedures. When I do my training, I'll go up mostly with my normal CFI and when he isn't available, I'll go up with my dad who is also a CFI. My dad always asks me how my instructor teaches the manuevers, what speeds are used, procedures he uses, etc. just so he won't be telling me something different from my usual CFI

I would try to stick with one CFI if possible. They might teach you different things/procedures. When I do my training, I'll go up mostly with my normal CFI and when he isn't available, I'll go up with my dad who is also a CFI. My dad always asks me how my instructor teaches the manuevers, what speeds are used, procedures he uses, etc. just so he won't be telling me something different from my usual CFI

My neighbor and good friend is the other CFI, so I know him well, it would be more like flying with a friend.

I've seen this work -- sorta -- with an instrument student. He splits his time in two cities 2000 miles apart, and has a flight instructor in each.

It takes a lot of coordination, and it has certainly cost him time repeating stuff with both instructors. It did result in an instrument rating, though.

I think this will be worse for a primary student.

It's really good to have an instructor fill in once in a while, but one instructor needs to be in charge, and handle almost all the instruction. They MUST talk to each other well or its a nonstarter.

Talk to you CFI about it. He might even be able to recommend things for you to work on when you fly with your friend. The real answer is what does he think about it and is he willing to work with you to make it work to your advantage.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I'm with Brian -- you can certainly do this, but only if the two instructors are both aware of what you're doing and coordinating with each other using a common syllabus, training plan, and procedures/techniques. Otherwise, you end up taking two steps forward and one step back every time you fly with the other instructor, and that can be very costly.

How far are you in your training? If you've soloed and your instructor feels comfortable with the situation maybe you can just fly solo on the days he is unavailable?

Are you confusing procedures with technique? Procedures come out of the Approved Flight Manual...technique is in the mind of the instructors. That's why the AFM says "Reduce power" and the CFI says "Pull the power back to 2000 rpm."

Bob Gardner

I see no issue with 2 instructors if, as Ron mentioned, they are working from the same syllabus and notate fully what was done in the prior lesson so each other can move forward accordingly. If they know each other, that makes for an even better tag team.

I had numerous instructors in my training (early 90's) because the school had relatively high turnover of young fellas climbing the ladder to go corporate or airline. But they all worked from the common school syllabus and I never really felt I was regressing. Sure, they may have had different nuances (i.e. techniques), but they all trained me to meet and exceed the PTS.

Are you confusing procedures with technique? Procedures come out of the Approved Flight Manual...technique is in the mind of the instructors. That's why the AFM says "Reduce power" and the CFI says "Pull the power back to 2000 rpm."

Bob Gardner
Yes, I meant technique

I've done this with another CFII (while she was recovering from a medical issue) who was my instructor for a couple of ratings. For us it worked well because I instruct the almost exactly the same way she does. The two of us would talk before and after each lesson so we knew exactly what was going on and what we would be doing with each student (there were several). It did work very well for us because we communicated so well. She actually rode with on a couple of the flights as an observer/instructor.

I could see issue developing if there is not this type of communication. In our club we have several instructors all of who teach in the same manner so for us to cover for another is pretty much a non event.

Again close communication is the key.

Back