CFI renewal "early" based on activity

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Due to obtaining new CFI ratings on my certificate, I have not yet had to actually renew it using the other methods. My question is, can you renew based on activity (5 checkrides with 80% pass rate) EARLY?

Situation: My current CFI certificate expires April 2016.

Here are my last 5 checkrides I have endorsed students for (all passes):
7/2015
5/2015
2/2015
3/2014
3/2014

So let's say I don't sign anybody else off between now about April 2016. As of that time, I will no longer have endorsed 5 applicants in the last 24 months, so I can't use the "renew by activity" method.

However, if I submit my renewal paperwork early, in March of 2016, I WILL have had 5 in the last 24 months.

I know there's a 3 month prior window for taking a FIRC. But can I just apply for renewal by activity early?

The wording of 61.197 doesn't say I can't, so I assume I can. I assume that my new expiration date would then be March of 2018.

This is hopefully a hypothetical question, as I intend to keep endorsing people for checkrides. Just wondering.

just renew in march of 2016. They will tell you when. If you get an extra month, awesome. If you don't oh well?

ETA: IIRC, if you renew with 3 months of your expiration, you still get thoe 3 months + 24 on top of that, so you should be able to renew in Jan 2016 and have your next expire in April 2018.

Due to obtaining new CFI ratings on my certificate, I have not yet had to actually renew it using the other methods. My question is, can you renew based on activity (5 checkrides with 80% pass rate) EARLY?

Situation: My current CFI certificate expires April 2016.

Here are my last 5 checkrides I have endorsed students for (all passes):
7/2015
5/2015
2/2015
3/2014
3/2014

So let's say I don't sign anybody else off between now about April 2016. As of that time, I will no longer have endorsed 5 applicants in the last 24 months, so I can't use the "renew by activity" method.

However, if I submit my renewal paperwork early, in March of 2016, I WILL have had 5 in the last 24 months.

I know there's a 3 month prior window for taking a FIRC. But can I just apply for renewal by activity early?

The wording of 61.197 doesn't say I can't, so I assume I can. I assume that my new expiration date would then be March of 2018.

This is hopefully a hypothetical question, as I intend to keep endorsing people for checkrides. Just wondering.

I know if you double that and get a GI you qualify for gold seal, which will renew you.

If you have to go FIRC I'd recommend the King program.

You need an AGI for gold seal.

Back