CFI QUESTION

Outerlimits

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Outerlimits
when knowing the common errors associated with takeoff and landings instructor should

A Demonstrate only.

B. Anticipate corrective action and be ready to call for the flight control.

Is this actually how the question is worded in your study guide, or practice test, or whatever? It's terrible, I'm not even sure I know what the point of the question is.

Do you have specific questions about takeoff and landing errors?

Yes. That is the question I am asking and if the answer is A or B
Is the answer A or B

The exact question reads like this

with knowing the common errors associated with takeoff and landing instructor, should

1. Avoid practicing them with new student pilots.

2. Anticipate corrective actions and be ready to call for the flight controls and react.

3. Only demonstrate.

I just assumed answer number one was wrong

Is the question originally in English? Nothing personal if you're translating, but if that's an exact wording of the question, the grammar makes it hard to understand what's being asked.

"With knowing"?

If it's asking "how do you teach landings?" I think the answer is pretty obvious, only one answer even remotely makes sense.

The question is

With knowing the common errors associated with take offs and landings, the instructor should

That is exactly how it is worded

I am not sure about the grammar or English but it is a question from American flyers and exactly as printed

The question makes more sense to me if the word 'with' is dropped.

Knowing the common errors associated with take offs and landings, the instructor should

Thanks Dave that’s what I was thinking also. I agree the question is very poorly worded.

Is the answer A or B

with knowing the common errors associated with takeoff and landing instructor, should

2. Anticipate corrective actions and be ready to call for the flight controls and react.

3. Only demonstrate.

I'm pretty sure the student isn't going to learn much about landing an airplane if the instructor "only demonstrates" so I'm going to go out on a limb and answer "Anticipate corrective actions and be ready to call for the flight controls and react"

What do you think the correct answer is? Why are you confused by this seemingly poorly worded question?

Brad

It’s not hard to confuse me and thanks for chiming in.

With knowing that a tomato is a fruit, you should
a) Not eat salad
b) Use tomatoes in salads depending on the type of salad
c) Only eat tomatoes

What’s the difference between a fruit and a vegetable? :)

Is the answer A or B

3. Only demonstrate.

1. Obviously don't teach errors to a student.

2. Mostly correct to an awkwardly worded question. The point in knowing the common errors is indeed to anticipate them and know how to correct them.

3. Again, why teach or demonstrate the wrong way to do something?

Flight Instructors don’t teach you how to land. They just keep you from wrecking the airplane until you figure it out. :)

Really? So you asked your instructor, “how do I land” and your instructors response was “you figure it out”?

In neither case, i.e., practicing common errors nor practicing takeoff and landing, should these be done with new students. So, this is a true statement, imo.

Really? So you asked your instructor, “how do I land” and your instructors response was “you figure it out”?
Hey, that's pretty much how I finally taught my younger brother how to wheel land my Citabria!

Hey, that's pretty much how I finally taught my younger brother how to wheel land my Citabria!
Siblings are an entirely different set of criteria. I managed to get revenge on my older brother that way.

Even more entirely different is teaching your spouse to fly. I remember my dad trying that.:eek:

I spend a lot of time teaching student pilots how to land little Cessnas, and I've been told by my boss that I am good at it. I usually start them on lesson two or three, and anticipate problems with airspeed, roundout, and flare, so I am either on the controls with them or closely guarding them. Our syllabus includes a lot of other things before solo, so most students are somewhere more than 20 hours, and more than 80 landings in various weather conditions.

I guess the second answer is correct.

In my own Air Force training, we were expected to solo the T-41 (Cessna 172) before ten hours. If not, we could perhaps expect to become a missile launch officer in North Dakota.

Is the answer A or B

3. Only demonstrate.

Based on the process of elimination, with what's available in that question, I'd lean towards #2, although truth be told, if you get hung up on calling for the flight controls, that could get you injured or killed. Sometimes you need to react and then tell the student the why, especially in tailwheel... although certainly, if everything is going well, you advise them you are getting on the controls.

#1 Wrong because you should show the student the correct way to do the maneuver in demonstration and performance.
#3 - Why would you demonstrate an error? The student will make the error soon enough!

when knowing the common errors associated with takeoff and landings instructor should

A Demonstrate only.

B. Anticipate corrective action and be ready to call for the flight control.
B. A is absurd. The student would never make a takeoff or landing.

Thanks to the ones that actually brought value to the question.

Back