CFI Question Student with Rotary Wing Time Transitioning to Fixed Wing Pvt

fly4usa

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
fly4usa
Question: How much of a student pilots time in rotary wing transfer to fixed wing (PVT).

A prospective student who contacted me, former Navy (non flying), has about 40 hours icivilian helicopter training years ago, some solo time. He wants to get his fixed wing rating after a long hiatus.

BACK GROUND: This student is gong to join the LLC flight club I instruct at. He is going for a discovery flight with me next week. Our IFR C152 (Yes, a C152 with G5's, IFR certified Garmin WAAS GPS) cost 1/2 of local FBO's in area charge, say $115 vs $235 per hour. Plane wet solo would be $85 vs $175. Good deal, well good for 2023. I got my PVT in 1985 for about $1800 total. I also did it in 40 hours (yes it can be and should be done, now medals for taking longer for same results).

About myself: Since 1990 I have been a CFI, (as well II, MEI, ATP). Have over 1000 hrs dual given. I did most of my flight instructing in early 90's (KBFI). Although kept my hand in GA flying I went off to the airlines and see retirement on horizon. I kept my CFI current (renewal), occasional experimental kit plane (EAB) transition training, and flight reviews, IPC, but no primary or advanced student rating students, until this year. I have my CFI groove back, but also have to be aware things changed and can't assume same old. Never ashamed to ask questions, like one above.

As I am getting back into more regular GA instructing, besides the student above, I have another PVT, INST and INST CFI. I do a flight club aircraft checkouts. A a lifetime EAA guy and a multi-time offender of building Van's Aircraft Kits (current plane RV7) I do transition training in EAB's. My biggest hurtle getting back into it? Learning some of the new Avionics, button-ology. I have to deal with several different hybrid glass panels in different airplanes, there is no standard. A GNS430W is different than a GTN750, as is a G5 to Avidyne. Really this is great gear but also something I have to be aware of. In the day I learned GPS was not quite there, but some portables GPS were around. Besides DME RNAV there was LORAN. Now you might expect two axis autopilot, full engine monitor with fuel flow and wiz-bang glass giving ADS-B In and NERAD. I have this in my kit plane. Of course ForeFlight is common. I resist using it and have Flight Plan Go on a Android tablet. Things in flight instructing have changed, but bottom line the basics of airmanship have not changed.

With only 40 hours of total time, the only hours he can apply toward Airplane Single-engine would be his total time, per 61.109.

There is not much time credible for the private.

When I did my rotorwing, I think I got credit for 10 hours. Could take the checkride at 30 hours, 15 dual and 15 solo. Insurance required 20 hours before solo in helicopter, so the actual minimum was 35. I actually did all my dual stuff, including 2 of the 3 hours of test prep before actual solo. And some of those were flown to Commercial requirements to knock them out.

61.109(a) - airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in § 61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—

This part does not require those hours to be in ASEL. But the specific task areas (XC, night, insturment, test prep, total 12 hours) are required to be in ASEL. The 10 hours solo are required to be in ASEL. So it looks like he could get credit for up to 8 hours of dual. But doubt that it will make a difference in the end.

Short answer read the private pilot airplane requirements...
If it says "aircraft" he can use helicopter time. If says "airplane" then it needs to be done in an airplane.

Interesting story.. Friend of mine added airplane to his glider rating after fly glider for about 20 years and about 1500hrs of glider time.
This was before the 1990's rewrite of the FAR's and about the only thing he needed to do in the airplane that he hadn't done in the glider was the night flying and a bit of instrument time (i think it required an hour or less then). He went to take his ASEL check ride with an FAA examiner having only about 10 hrs of airplane time in his log book. Shortly after that the FAR were rewritten to require a lot more training in Airplanes vs Aircraft. Power failure demonstration was comical as the examiner said it was the only time he relaxed in the airplane. The field he picked for the emergency landing was one he had landed his glider in the week before.

Brian
CFIIIG/ASEL

Back