CFI Payment

So the student cuts off his own shirt tail?

My instructor watched my first solo flight, but did not cut my shirt tail off, which is good, because I had never heard of that tradition, and I didn't know to wear a shirt that was expendable!

My instructor watched my first solo flight, but did not cut my shirt tail off, which is good, because I had never heard of that tradition, and I didn't know to wear a shirt that was expendable!
I didn't know the tradition either, and my instructor was halfway through cutting one of my favorite shirts before I knew what was going on. But I still have it.

You would know if you were going to get "tailed"! I think it's a neat tradition.

I wore the reminants of my shirt for the rest of the day with pride (and answered a few curious questions).

Walk into most FBO's today and you won't see a wall of shirt tails. Too bad.

My instructor watched my first solo but when he explained to me that he didn't cut people's shirts because he didn't want to ruin their clothing I had no idea what he was talking about. :redface:

My instructor watched my first solo but when he explained to me that he didn't cut people's shirts because he didn't want to ruin their clothing I had no idea what he was talking about. :redface:

I see no need to be embarrassed about not knowing something that we weren't told about.

Walk into most FBO's today and you won't see a wall of shirt tails. Too bad.

Why? Times change. Nowadays the kids get videos.

I'd love to see how bad my first landings were but video cameras weren't the norm nor in our pockets on our phones when I soloed. ;)

I'd love to see how bad my first landings were but video cameras weren't the norm nor in our pockets on our phones when I soloed. ;)

I brought a video camera to my first solo, and my first landing was pretty embarrassing, but the next two showed dramatic improvement, and I've never porpoised like that again.

This is a quick bit of advice for all student pilots, and pilots receiving training: Many flight instructors have not charged for ground training and other instructional time which should be compensated. This practice has promoted an environment where a good pre-brief and debrief is becoming a thing-of-the-past. Instructor should be professional and only charge for productive training. A good instructor will run out of time before they run out of things to teach you. If your instructor is not making the most of every minute they spend with you, you need to find a better instructor. If your instructor is wearing you out with instruction in the air and on the ground, that instructor is a "keeper" and you should be happy to pay them for every minute. Many students, that have this kind of instructor, show their gratitude in additional ways when the training is complete. Instructors spend a lot of money to get where they are and risk a lot on your behalf, we should not be reluctant to compensate them. Interesting note: Most flight instructors charge the same as music instructors. No one has ever killed the violin instructor with the violin. CFII and Flight School Owner/Operator 1999-2006

....: Most flight instructors charge the same as music instructors. No one has ever killed the violin instructor with the violin. CFII and Flight School Owner/Operator 1999-2006

First post.....

Welcome to POA.... :cheers:

Back