CFI paths

Arob16

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Arob16
Hey folks, so my goal this year is obtain my CFI and CFII. Initially I wasn't going to tackle multi-engine this year, but the opportunity has presented itself. I started few months back, and have the writtens finished thus far. I now have a question regarding the various 'regulatory' paths to get there. The two paths I'm thinking about are below, I'm wanting to know if I've got the proper order and checkrides, etc.

I am currently a commercial airplane single-engine land, instrument rated. I have zero multi-engine PIC at this point.

Route 1: CFI-initial checkride (single engine) -> CFII checkride -> Commercial multi-addon checkride -> CFI multi-addon checkride (I assume no additional checkride needed for CFII multi-)

Route 2: Commercial multi-addon checkride -> CFI-initial multi checkride -> CFI single engine add-on checkride -> CFII checkride (single or multi doesn't matter)

Thanks in advance for helping clarify for me. While I'm at it, anyone prefer one route over the other while they were getting their CFI?

Adam

Last edited:
You'll end up with more total time in the multi on Route 2. Whether that's desired, is up to you.

I did it that way because I own a 182, so the initial Comm'l and CFI could be done in a retract... the Seminole... and the rest in my own aircraft.

Route 1 gives you a means to make money while you're working on your instrument instructor, multi add on, and multi instructor since there is more demand for single engine instructors than there is for low time multi pilots or MEIs. Other than that, I don't really see a difference doing it one way or the other assuming you don't get stalled out on progress somewhere in the middle.

Dude, just get your CFI, get some ROI and go from there based on demand.

Hey folks, so my goal this year is obtain my CFI and CFII. Initially I wasn't going to tackle multi-engine this year, but the opportunity has presented itself. I started few months back, and have the writtens finished thus far. I now have a question regarding the various 'regulatory' paths to get there. The two paths I'm thinking about are below, I'm wanting to know if I've got the proper order and checkrides, etc.

I am currently a commercial airplane single-engine land, instrument rated. I have zero multi-engine PIC at this point.

Route 1: CFI-initial checkride (single engine) -> CFII checkride -> Commercial multi-addon checkride -> CFI multi-addon checkride (I assume no additional checkride needed for CFII multi-)

Route 2: Commercial multi-addon checkride -> CFI-initial multi checkride -> CFI single engine add-on checkride -> CFII checkride (single or multi doesn't matter)

Thanks in advance for helping clarify for me. While I'm at it, anyone prefer one route over the other while they were getting their CFI?

Adam

CFI lesson 1. Don't assume.

Consider getting the CFI-I first. It's a less involved check-ride than the CFI-ASE. You'd could do this one as your initial with the FAA and then could add-on the CFI-ASE with a DPE. Work on your multi- later.

What's your end goal? Airlines? If so, commercial multi first -- no exceptions.

Get the I and II. Get the multi when you are working for a school. They will probably cut you a break on price, and if you have another instructor you get along with, he may do the instructing for free. I know that is how a few of my friends and I got the training. Then you make friends with people on the field that have multi's and jump in with them when you can. I have logged over 100 hours in a couple of years. So why pay more than you need to for the Multi.

You'll end up with more total time in the multi on Route 2. Whether that's desired, is up to you.

I did it that way because I own a 182, so the initial Comm'l and CFI could be done in a retract... the Seminole... and the rest in my own aircraft.

He already has a commercial ASEL, so he can do the Commercial multi as an add-on. The total multi time should end up about the same with either route.

I went route 2 and would do so again.
It was cheaper. It also had a bunch of other benefits that were specific to my situation.

As someone noted, If you anticipate having your multi paid for or subsidized by a future employer, then it may make sense to skip the multi for now. Also give some thought to why you're doing the CFI-multi. If you don't end up in a situation where you can use the rating, it's not helping you much.

I've gotta caution you against banking on a flight school to "help you out" with multi training. Given the current market for career pilots, flight schools (who typically do not employ career instructors) have no incentive to help you leave. Most are struggling to find instructors. This is a rather recent development in the last 6 months or so based on CFIs I talk to in the industry.

You can actually do your initial as the instrument airplane ride and then add on your single and multi, as well.

You can actually do your initial as the instrument airplane ride and then add on your single and multi, as well.

Some people like that route, as they feel more prepared to teach instruments and like that for thieves initial. I didn't see any reason to do it that way, but in some areas it's popular.

Actually, the reason I was told is that in most areas of the country your initial ride (whatever it is) is done with an FAA employee, and the instrument is an easier one to do that way. You can then do all your other rides with a DPE.

Thanks for all the responses. My intentions are to teach for awhile, I may fly for a living beyond that in the future, but I work full time doing something else for the time being. I think I am leaning on doing CFI single engine first, then multi- later. The CFIs at the local flight school reminded me that it's not so much about this specific decision regarding what to do first that matters.... they said I need to get going on other things of importance (learning how to teach, learning ALL the material, lesson plans, sitting in on instructor sessions, etc etc). SO I gotta 'get to work'.

Adam

Back