CFI pass rate

How many attempts did it take you to pass?

• First try!

Votes: 80 80.0%
  • Failed once, passed the second try.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Failed two times then passed.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Failed three or more times then passed.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
I'm curious to the number of people here that passed the CFI initial ride the first time. Also, if you're so inclined list the FSDO you took it with, and if your a DPE instead list that too. Just curious.

KC FSDO, he said I did great on the Oral and ride.

Of course it wasn't perfect, but it was damn close.

Last edited:
First time, LNK FSDO, inspector told me I was the first he has done that has passed the first time. Generally discontinued or failed for one reason or another.

I passed first shot. DPE in Warrensburg, MO. 1981. Quite frankly, I don't remember the ride.

First time. Richmond FSDO.

Pressure for me now with all these first passes. Got my oral and checkride coming up in October.

Pressure for me now with all these first passes. Got my oral and checkride coming up in October.

I feel you! Mine is a bit sooner than that though, which is why I was so curious.

First try. New York FSDO, January, 1973. DPE was not an option then. And the test wasn't nearly as grueling as it is today.

BTW, you can get statistics on this here. FWIW, last year, the original CFI pass rate was 67.5% for FSDO Inspectors and 68.7% for DPE's (pretty close, I should say) and DPE's conducted twice as many as FSDO's.

First try LAS FSDO with Marty "The Hammer" Kay 2004

First try. New York FSDO, January, 1973. DPE was not an option then. And the test wasn't nearly as grueling as it is today.

BTW, you can get statistics on this here. FWIW, last year, the original CFI pass rate was 67.5% for FSDO Inspectors and 68.7% for DPE's (pretty close, I should say) and DPE's conducted twice as many as FSDO's.

That is better info then a participation voluntary poll.

That is better info then a participation voluntary poll.

But the statics are similar. Which is one of the things I was curious about. It seems like people who participate here do a little better than average.

But the statics are similar. Which is one of the things I was curious about. It seems like people who participate here do a little better than average.

Or the people that did not the first time choose not to answer.

First time, Glider CFI, same DPE that did my Glider Commercial the month prior.
He has hung up his DPE hat.

Didn't use a DPE or a FSDO. School had self examining authority.

I know my PPL CFI failed his first attempt. My CFII (different person) failed his instrument rating first time, but I think passed his CFI checkride first time.

On a sample size of 25 versus 4000? I don't think I'd draw that conclusion just yet.

I did directly with San Diego FSDO, passed with the second attempt. Failed due to argumently busting 500 feet minimum altitude during eights on pylons (within few miles of some farm house ) in the mountains

I believe the FAA would lump that in with the DPE numbers.

Yes, even though the school (141) has self examining provision the "examiner" of the school is still designated as a DPE with the limitation of giving checkrides only to the school graduates. However there are exceptions as some DPE's of 141 self examing programs are full designated DPE's.

I will be the ONLY honest one here ;)

I missed it the first time, just a couple maneuvers need to be polished up. retest sept 19.

Finally I can vote in this poll :)
CFI-A first try, with a DPE assigned by the Orlando FSDO

First time pass. Oral one day (crappy WX) and flight a few days later. With an ASI, who was tough and fair.

Seattle FSDO; Elbert Rolls, FAA ops inspector.

Comparing what I know now with what I knew then, he should have flunked me.

Bob Gardner

I gave quite a few CFI rides as an ASI in Arizona. My initial pass rate was around 60%.

Softy -- that's a lot higher than the national average for both DPE's and Inspectors. :wink2:

I consider myself fair but thorough. I also believe that there are different ways to approach an answer so I give them the latitude.

So your characterization as "softy" is inadequate and misleading since you've never been in a position to be an examiner.

Back