CFI pass rate

How many attempts did it take you to pass?

• First try!

Votes: 80 80.0%
  • Failed once, passed the second try.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Failed two times then passed.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Failed three or more times then passed.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Likewise...although at that time no DPEs were supposed to be doing initials. Unfortunately there were no Feds in the region who were qualified in gliders, so the DPES got a one-time authorization from Oke City.

After we trained up a couple of Feds, the next guy who took his ride was the first CFI applicant that Fed ever passed on the first attempt.
Same here. Our experienced glider DPE would get approval for each glider CFI he was asked to do. Then one year the FAA decided no, and they flew in an FAA examiner from halfway across the country. The check ride was almost a non event. The DPE gave tougher evals than the FAA did.

Only snag was the aircraft I was flying didn't have shoulder harnesses. The inspector was trying to red tag the airplane because he was convinced it wasn't legal to fly.

When I took my MEI at the KJAN GADO (FSDO now) the oral was around 2-3 hours. Started preflighting the C310 and he asked why the escape window was "puttied" over. Really didn't have an answer but stated so it could be painted and appearance. He said, well, if you can demonstrate opening it we'll go fly. I said I could open it but wouldn't be able to close it back up. Ride over, issued me a ferry permit to fly back to home airport. Informed the owner of the FBO (pilot & AP) and he got really hot. Got the huge C310 maintenance book, opened it to the appropriate page, called the GADO, and read that the window was in compliance verbatim to the inspector. I was out a couple of hours of time to and from, but it was sweet watching the boss straighten the fed out. Later I found out this particular fed had it in for the boss and they butted heads frequently. A few weeks later took the ride with a different inspector at the home airport and passed.

Back